Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2019, 12:57 PM

143 posts, read 150,475 times

Advertisements

Found out last night through DNA that who I thought was my father is not. How about that at 69? Someone with DNA links to me messaged and his Uncle was my father. Well, sperm donated. My daughter and I went over it and yes it is true. It all lines up.

I never really new my "father" and he died when I was 4, but now I have to redo a lot of genealogy work, lol. I am kinda not surprised because of the circumstances at that time. But still, geez! I did get a little quezy this morning after trying to not have deep feelings about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2019, 01:54 PM

23,866 posts, read 33,554,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancyf View Post
Found out last night through DNA that who I thought was my father is not. How about that at 69? Someone with DNA links to me messaged and his Uncle was my father. Well, sperm donated. My daughter and I went over it and yes it is true. It all lines up.

I never really new my "father" and he died when I was 4, but now I have to redo a lot of genealogy work, lol. I am kinda not surprised because of the circumstances at that time. But still, geez! I did get a little quezy this morning after trying to not have deep feelings about it.
You're actually like the 4th or 5th person we've had here posting that. I'm sure one of them will be by to offer you the link to a FB group for people that have found out their parent isn't their parent after doing DNA.

When my dad was fighting terminal Leukemia I found out my mother cheated on my dad and that he may not be my dad. I wasn't surprised he actually did turn out to be my father because we're so much alike. I even look like him; so does my son except we have gray blue eyes and blond hair from my mothers side. Of course one of my siblings thinks I forged the DNA results but I didn't. I even called DNA Diagnostics to give them a one time call to get the truth from them

Old 08-04-2019, 11:47 AM

5,032 posts, read 7,412,572 times
It is always very unsettling when this happens. It will take a lot of time (years even) to process it. I have DNA matches to a group of four brothers in their 60's, one of whom bought DNA tests for all of them. They never expected to find out that all of them had different fathers (same mother). One of them really was the son of the father who raised them and who they all believed was their father. This remained emotionally disturbing to them for a long time as they tried to figure out who their respective fathers were. Their mother was already long gone and unavailable to be "interviewed". But DNA eventually provided answers.

Old 08-07-2019, 11:38 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,906,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancyf View Post

It never ceases to amaze me just how many of us there are out here who find out our dads aren't our dads. I can't say I was shocked or anything but I was surprised. It never once entered my mind that the man who raised me and loved me all my life wasn't my dad. Until a cousin and my brother did the DNA test and I didn't match either of them. I found out at 75! My nephew and I match through his mom, my 1/2 sister, that I always believed was my only full blood sibling. Nope. Same mom, different dad.

I have NO idea who my birth family might be but I know where they are from...or were, at the time of my conception. There is a lady on Ancestry that I am sure is from my paternal line but she was adopted and knows nothing about her birth family either. The REALLY odd thing is that I can find her on Shared Matches with quite a few of my maternal matches and I cant figure that one out. I wondered if she could be the daughter of one of my cousins...the ages would be about right BUT if she was then she would match up with his sister, which she doesn't. Still, it's odd that the ONLY people she matches on my maternal side are my 4th and 5th great grandparents.

I have, pretty much, accepted the fact that I'll never know who my BF was, or his family, although I wouldn't mind finding out if I have any 1/2 siblings out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy