Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 08:07 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,625,047 times

Advertisements

I'm sure this is a no brainer to most in the U.K. but i thought that Norse DNA was scattered all thru out the U.K. but it's mainly in the Northwest of England according to these DNA Blood tests.

Science Daily - Viking Blood Courses Through Veins Of Many A Northwest Englander

Second story i'm sure less were possibly unaware that there is lots of African DNA in the bloodlines in certain parts of the U.K from 1800 years ago and not from current migrations. Some of the Roman Military Soldiers under Emperor Hadrian serving along Hadrians Wall were Black Africans although they are unsure if all of it is directly from Africans or from migrating Celtic Tribes who had an African Chromosome in them as they had earlier intermingled with them in Northern Africa.

Science Daily - First Genetic Evidence Of Long-lived African Presence Within Britain

Anyway just some interesting stuff as i'm always researching about early Europe and it's many different peoples and thought i'd post for anyone who's interested.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2008, 08:29 AM

3,360 posts, read 12,270,334 times
I'll admit it, I'm a Viking.

Old 09-06-2008, 02:39 PM

109 posts, read 388,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6/3 View Post
I'm sure this is a no brainer to most in the U.K. but i thought that Norse DNA was scattered all thru out the U.K. but it's mainly in the Northwest of England according to these DNA Blood tests.
The Danish settled in the south of England too though

Old 09-06-2008, 08:17 PM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,397,185 times
Since Africans are the original human race, EVERBODY has "black" genes in them. Believe it or not. Like it or not. `

Old 09-09-2008, 03:00 AM

521 posts, read 1,473,288 times
Given the behaviour of Brits abroad and football fans, surely the vikings must have been more widespread than previously thought!

I'm not sure that the Northwest of England had more vikings than anywhere else within the Danelaw, certainly my part of the world (Yorkshire) was very viking heavy.

Interesting stuff though, thanks for posting 6/3.

Old 09-09-2008, 08:04 AM

14 posts, read 49,238 times
I think the word Viking has become a bit ambiguous. In general.....The Norse raided the east but only really settled the north-west fringes of northern England and Scotland i.e. Cumbria, which still has the biggest group of Norse descendants outside of the Orkney/Shetlands, Northern Lancashire, Western Yorkshire (plus parts of Ireland, the Isle of Man, Cornwall etc). The Danes settled primarily eastern England. The Anglo-Saxons only really in the south-east of England. They never really made it much North or west and their contribution to the collective island's gene pools I have found is the biggest myth, it’s only around 15%....ish and that figure is only in their areas. Then you have the Normans who got everywhere but primarily the Low and Southern uplands in Scotland and Lincolnshire area of England, who were also descended from the Norse.

Old 09-10-2008, 07:21 AM

521 posts, read 1,473,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegvisir View Post
I think the word Viking has become a bit ambiguous. In general.....The Norse raided the east but only really settled the north-west fringes of northern England and Scotland i.e. Cumbria, which still has the biggest group of Norse descendants outside of the Orkney/Shetlands, Northern Lancashire, Western Yorkshire (plus parts of Ireland, the Isle of Man, Cornwall etc). The Danes settled primarily eastern England. The Anglo-Saxons only really in the south-east of England. They never really made it much North or west and their contribution to the collective island's gene pools I have found is the biggest myth, it’s only around 15%....ish and that figure is only in their areas. Then you have the Normans who got everywhere but primarily the Low and Southern uplands in Scotland and Lincolnshire area of England, who were also descended from the Norse.
I think you'd best tell the good burghers of York that they've got it all wrong with the Jorvik Viking museum then! Perhaps they could swap it to a Dane museum (dedicated to bacon and lager. Probably)

Old 09-10-2008, 11:39 AM

3,722 posts, read 4,310,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6/3 View Post
Second story i'm sure less were possibly unaware that there is lots of African DNA in the bloodlines in certain parts of the U.K from 1800 years ago and not from current migrations. Some of the Roman Military Soldiers under Emperor Hadrian serving along Hadrians Wall were Black Africans although they are unsure if all of it is directly from Africans or from migrating Celtic Tribes who had an African Chromosome in them as they had earlier intermingled with them in Northern Africa.

Science Daily - First Genetic Evidence Of Long-lived African Presence Within Britain

Anyway just some interesting stuff as i'm always researching about early Europe and it's many different peoples and thought i'd post for anyone who's interested.

Yeah I read that when it first came out last year. Maybe someone can correct me, but didn't they also find the strongest African genes in White men were found in Yorkshire...sommat like that, I can't remember, must look it up later.

Genetic tests on this little boys torso helped steer cops in the right direction.
Thames torso boy was sacrificed | UK news | The Observer

Old 09-10-2008, 12:11 PM

14 posts, read 49,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkie Bar View Post
I think you'd best tell the good burghers of York that they've got it all wrong with the Jorvik Viking museum then! Perhaps they could swap it to a Dane museum (dedicated to bacon and lager. Probably)
My point was that when people think Viking they usually just think Norse but there were different Vikings who went to different areas with an overlap in the ‘middle’ areas. The border areas of Scotland and England are the hardest to pin down as the east was the ancient capital of Britain and so a thoroughfare for all immigrants from across the east including later Huguenots, Franciscans, Flemish etc who are also descended from various Vikings. The east to the west was the biggest trade route so very busy. York is a huge area for all Vikings but more of a melting pot area compared to others on the west coast such as Cumbria. The western Isles, I.O.M. ,Shetlands, Orkneys which were more only Norse leading to far higher concentrates of Norse descendants than the likes of York . It is accepted that we have overwhelming amounts of Vikings here but approx at least 75% of British Isles DNA originates in Central Europe, around the caucuses and Spain (and they were pagans), which in turn originates in Africa (re: above post). This also leads to confusion when many ‘White Europeans’ discover they have amounts of what is termed ‘Hispanic’ DNA and then realise that they descend from the same peoples as do the Hispanics i.e. the ‘Spanish’. For the British Isles specifically-The Basques.
It all depends on how far back you want to, or can, go.(and where the lines were drawn on the map at any given time)

A museum of bacon and lager!

Does that sound like the best idea in the world or what?!!! Why dont we have those????

What is wrong with this country

Old 02-04-2016, 12:48 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,394,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Since Africans are the original human race, EVERBODY has "black" genes in them. Believe it or not. Like it or not. `
No, not neccasy, they claim now that the white populTion that migrated from siberian was never in africa
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom