Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are mixed race people more attractive?
Yes, they are more attractive than people that aren't mixed 53 31.36%
hard to say 23 13.61%
No, they are just as attractive as people who aren't mixed 93 55.03%
Voters: 169. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 11:59 PM

9,006 posts, read 13,832,678 times

Advertisements

As far as being black(without white or Asian blood) and having blond hair,yes they do exist.

The Australian aborigines often have blond hair.
So do Melanesians(also from the South Pacific.)

Yes,they are truly dark skinned with blond hair,and they aren't mixed.

Old 03-30-2013, 02:52 AM

8,711 posts, read 11,728,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Cold Shower View Post
It seems that media and basically a lot of newspaper these days are set on forcing the whole ideal that mixed race people (basically white and black mixed in their eyes) are more attractive than everyone else. Now if you disagree, you get branded a racist fast!

I remember a Black friend of mines asking "so let me get this straight, you are telling me a mixed race guy is more attractive than me because he has White in him while I am not good looking because I don't have any White in me?". It was against this college girl who said that and the girl didn't respond.

What are your thoughts on the whole mixed race people are more attractive belief?

People especially women who are mixed race are viewed more positively then non mixed black women. The darker you are, the uglier you are considered to be in general. People will say a dark skinned black woman looks like a 'man/transsexual,' 'ugly' or a 'monkey,' in a minute -- the same doesn't get said about mixed race women. There's a general disdain towards darker skin with the exception of some dark skinned Brazilian women. They get to be called 'exotic' looking but that word is rarely applied to non mixed black women. If someone is going to talk about an attractive black woman the stock answers are always: Halle Berry and/or Beyonce, or some other light skinned/mixed one. Men are always at the ready to call biracial women beautiful -- their skin tones, their hair texture, light eyes, etc. I can't say I'm surprised they take the women who are mixed with white and label them the attractive ones of the black race.

Last edited by Doll Eyes; 03-30-2013 at 03:16 AM..

Old 03-30-2013, 07:40 AM

2,256 posts, read 2,129,740 times
My daughter is more olive looking.

But she's 1/4 black, 1/4 Irish and 1/2 Italian. She got the olive skin and green eyes.

And Italian hair!!! No naps for her!

I'm actually kinda envious of her lol.

So she looks Italian but not really white. Unless you consider dark Italians white...

Old 03-30-2013, 09:28 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
My son is of a similar appearance. His hair is the same color but more nappy, his eyes are the same color, and his skin is lighter. He is black because that's what his parents and grandparents are.

I don't know what you're saying about a one-drop rule, and I certainly don't know why you would be rolling your eyes.
You've never heard of the one-drop rule? Wow.

One-drop rule - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
From the article:

Quote:
The one-drop rule is a historical colloquial term in the United States for the social classification as Negro of individuals with any African ancestry; meaning any person with "one drop of Negro blood" was considered black. The principle of "invisible blackness" was an example of hypodescent, the automatic assignment of children of a mixed union between different socioeconomic or ethnic groups to the group with the lower status.[1] The one-drop rule was not adopted as law until the 20th century: first in Tennessee in 1910 and in Virginia under the Racial Integrity Act of 1924 (following the passage of similar laws in several other states).
Despite the strictures of slavery, in the antebellum years, free people of mixed race could have up to one-eighth or one-quarter African ancestry (depending on the state) and be considered legally white.[2]:68 More were absorbed into the majority culture based simply on appearance, associations and carrying out community responsibilities. These and community acceptance were the more important factors if a person's racial status were questioned, not his or her documented ancestry. Due to the social mobility of antebellum society, many people did not have documentation about their ancestors.

The one-drop rule was made law, chiefly in the U.S. South but also in other states, in the 20th century – decades after the Civil War, emancipation and Reconstruction, but following the restoration of white supremacy in the South and the passage of Jim Crow racial segregation laws. In the 20th century, it was also associated with the rise of eugenics and ideas of racial purity. From the late 1870s on, white Democrats regained political power in the former Confederate states and passed racial segregation laws controlling public facilities, and laws and constitutions from 1890–1910 to achieve disfranchisement of most blacks. Many poor whites were also disfranchised in these years, by changes to voter registration rules that worked against them, such as literacy tests, longer residency requirements and poll taxes.
That's why I was rolling my eyes. I think such a law or "rule" is absolutely ridiculous and definitely racist. That being said, many people still cling to the notion that people have to be EITHER "black" OR "white" and have to identify with one race or the other, rather than happily and healthily embracing all of their own identity.

Old 03-30-2013, 11:18 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,524,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
People especially women who are mixed race are viewed more positively then non mixed black women. The darker you are, the uglier you are considered to be in general. People will say a dark skinned black woman looks like a 'man/transsexual,' 'ugly' or a 'monkey,' in a minute -- the same doesn't get said about mixed race women. There's a general disdain towards darker skin with the exception of some dark skinned Brazilian women. They get to be called 'exotic' looking but that word is rarely applied to non mixed black women. If someone is going to talk about an attractive black woman the stock answers are always: Halle Berry and/or Beyonce, or some other light skinned/mixed one. Men are always at the ready to call biracial women beautiful -- their skin tones, their hair texture, light eyes, etc. I can't say I'm surprised they take the women who are mixed with white and label them the attractive ones of the black race.

It baffles me that "we" still continue to regurgitate these backwards attitudes based on where one happens to fall along the color line.

The most disturbing aspect of the worship of "whiteness" is the selection of romantic partners (consciously or subconsciously) for the purpose of having "whiter"/lighter skinned children. And this issue is not exclusive of Black people; Asians and Latinos do the same. And no one EVER wants to have a REAL conversation about this topic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3IzTyjhHLc

Old 03-30-2013, 12:39 PM

2,788 posts, read 8,011,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
As far as being black(without white or Asian blood) and having blond hair,yes they do exist.

The Australian aborigines often have blond hair.
So do Melanesians(also from the South Pacific.)

Yes,they are truly dark skinned with blond hair,and they aren't mixed.
Good point. The average person has no concept of the full range of human diversity.

Old 03-30-2013, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymouseX View Post
My daughter is more olive looking.

But she's 1/4 black, 1/4 Irish and 1/2 Italian. She got the olive skin and green eyes.

And Italian hair!!! No naps for her!

I'm actually kinda envious of her lol.

So she looks Italian but not really white. Unless you consider dark Italians white...
Wow,you say you are biracial and then decry "no naps for her"?
Wth? Are you saying black women's hair type is inferior?

Old 03-30-2013, 03:00 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,728,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Wow,you say you are biracial and then decry "no naps for her"?
Wth? Are you saying black women's hair type is inferior?

Yes, inadvertently that's what he/she is saying. And isn't it? That's the general consensus about our hair. People don't care what kind of person you are; they care about looks, hair texture and skin tone, that's what it boils down to.

Old 03-30-2013, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrackly View Post
Good point. The average person has no concept of the full range of human diversity.
Yup. I can't believe people still haven't heard of them.
As I also was saying to another poster in another thread,there are dark skinned indians who aren't mixed,and light skinned Africans who also aren't mixed.

I'm not sure why someone posted a pic of a mixed girl when there are truly unmixed,dark skinned black? People with blond hair.

Old 03-30-2013, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
Yes, inadvertently that's what he/she is saying. And isn't it? That's the general consensus about our hair. People care what kind of person you are; they care about looks, hair texture and skin tone, that's what it boils down to.
That poster claims to be biracial.
I wonder what she thinks about her full black relatives.
The fact she says she is envious speaks volumes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy