Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 08:46 PM

658 posts, read 1,554,549 times

Advertisements

I never met him, left before I was born.
No father is listed on original birth certificate.
Was not married to my mother (she was 17).

I have no contact with my biological mother but I asked her 15 years ago and again about 5 years ago and she refused to tell me.

I contacted cousin from mother's side of family but they know nothing of course.
No other relatives in the world that I know of.

Old 01-18-2013, 09:59 PM

2,457 posts, read 7,383,195 times
Without mothers cooperation I know of no way. How old are you? Is it possible to go to the neighborhood where she got pregnant and see if any neighbors (if still around) knew any gossip?

Old 01-18-2013, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkansasSlim View Post
Without mothers cooperation I know of no way. How old are you? Is it possible to go to the neighborhood where she got pregnant and see if any neighbors (if still around) knew any gossip?
haha NO. First, I have NO IDEA where my biological mother lived. I only know the city of my birth and did not grow up there. That was almost 30 years ago.

My question is alternative ways to find out.

Examples:
DNA testing: exactly what test and how, etc.
Genealogists: who, where, how, etc.

Old 01-18-2013, 10:56 PM

37,106 posts, read 41,277,178 times
Genealogists are not going to be much help, because we work from known relationships.

DNA might help you find relatives, but only if the relatives are participating in a DNA project. More people are having DNA tested because they are interested in finding out where their ancestors originally came from, so as time goes by you might eventually find some relatives and someone might know your mother.

Are you male or female? How old are you?

One thing to keep in mind is that DNA sometimes leads us to things we may have wished we did not know. If your mother is totally unwilling to discuss your paternity, it may be because your conception was not due to consensual sex. If that is a possibility, do you want to pursue it? Confronting your mother with that might be very traumatic for her.

Old 01-19-2013, 09:39 PM

1,097 posts, read 2,046,809 times
Without someone's cooperation, your only real alternative is to post on some of the adoption registries, probably starting with the area you were born . In order to get any results,this would mean posting things like your birth date and birth mother's name. This would also assume he knew she was pregnant.

DNA etc won't give you a name - -
Genealogists, at best, could possibly find some other relatives of your birth mother, which may or may not be helpful.

Old 01-19-2013, 09:46 PM

5 posts, read 18,155 times
Default we help eachother

going through similar situation. My mom refuses as well. maybe we can help eachother. how did you post this???? I keep being able to reply to a post but cant find where I can post and start my own thread???? I did it before but cannot remember where to do it at?????!!!!!!!! I am trying to post up the information I do have on him, maybe it'll bite. You should do the same.

Old 01-19-2013, 09:57 PM

7,680 posts, read 5,530,949 times
The "New Thread" button is on the left above the list of threads in each forum.

However, rather than the Genealogy forum, your thread should probably be posted in the People Search forum here: //www.city-data.com/forum/people-search/

Old 01-19-2013, 11:35 PM

No, it should NOT go in the "people search" section. I DON'T KNOW THE NAME. duh.

Old 01-20-2013, 12:57 AM

44,632 posts, read 61,629,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by certsevtxert View Post
I never met him, left before I was born.
No father is listed on original birth certificate. This will be difficult with no name. Probably only a family member would know and they may be sworn to secrecy.

Was not married to my mother (she was 17). Maybe a black sheep in the family got her pregnant or another unusual incident. A DNA test may or may not eliminate a family member like a cousin that impregnated her. She's definitely covering up for someone. We had a similiar situation with 2 cousins.

I have no contact with my biological mother but I asked her 15 years ago and again about 5 years ago and she refused to tell me. She doesn't want bad memories brought up and the older she gets the harder it will be to get any information. We had a similiar situation in our family and still to this day don't know anymore than we did 30 years ago.

I contacted cousin from mother's side of family but they know nothing of course.
No other relatives in the world that I know of.
As someone suggested previously go back to where your mother lived at the time and do some snooping. There could even be an article of a birth announcement in the local paper or some other news event that could lead to who your father was. If it was rape by a stranger then that's going to be very difficult to find out.

Old 01-20-2013, 01:41 PM

1,097 posts, read 2,046,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by certsevtxert View Post
No, it should NOT go in the "people search" section. I DON'T KNOW THE NAME. duh.
Really -- there are people on that forum with the same problem. You do know when you were born; you know where; you know your birth mother's name.

The "no other relatives in the world" is your alternative to finding a way to convince your birth mother to share the information. There may be other family of hers out there. Where did she go to school? Classmates who knew her at the time? Was she alive in 1940?

I'm not saying those things guarantee results, but there are ways around. Did she tell you anything about him?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy