Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 04:36 PM

31 posts, read 52,770 times

Advertisements

Just a minor tidbit- My gg uncle Herbert (Ermie's brother), had a full name of Herbert Moritz Wetzel. Hertbert appears to have went by or legally changed (probably would have had an easy time doing so, becoming an attorney eventually) his middle name to "Maurice". The same name, but less Germanized.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2013, 01:20 PM

I have stumbled upon via Familysearch a record for a "M. Hahn" born in 1833, Germany. Immigration year of 1857 (This would keep in line that his daughter, Hermine, was still born in Lauenburg, as she would have been brought over as a very small child with them). The immigration here is to New York, however, that does not neccessarily rule anything out...as a matter of fact, I found an old personal letter Ermie's mother wrote to her while Ermie visited New York City (she would visit to pick up some of the latest dance technique). Her mother referred to the city as "old New York". This suggests some kind of sentimentality or familiarity. "M. Hahn"'s occupation is listed as shoe-maker.

In addition, the ship name in this immigration record is the "Elbe"- Lauenburg in Germany is located just off of it. The departure port is Hamburg (again, Hamburg is a relative stone's throw. It is logical they would have made the jot to the major city of Hamburg to ship off from there).

Hmm. Likely could be referring to Moritz Hahn here, methinks.

Old 03-18-2013, 05:31 PM

1,097 posts, read 2,045,683 times
It's possible - was he alone?
I looked for them some this weekend, but was looking for Hermine [the wife]. Nothing conclusive.
Hamburg was the port of choice for most of Germany. The ship name - probably a fluke but ya never know.........

Old 03-18-2013, 06:59 PM

Record does not list any others, so perhaps there are potentially holes in my notion it could refer to Moritz there.

Historyfan, is that "Prof" LC Schultz? If the man was a professor, I sure as ****e never knew.

Haha.

Old 03-23-2013, 07:48 AM

1 posts, read 1,374 times
I suppose many do try to lay hold of this claim. I myself have a Great-great-great Grandmother who was Cherokee, however I am satisfied with just knowing my historical origin. Finding a paper trail on some Cherokee children who escaped the Trail of Tears is literally impossible but does not remove the fact if a person is actually a blood relative of the Cherokee people. I have found that the eyes are a distinct feature of the Cherokee. Plus I have some old photos and can see with out a doubt the similarities. I am mostly German however and I am rather light skinned, but I am what the Lord made me and I am quite happy with who I am.
wolfeman181

Old 06-04-2013, 11:52 PM

6 posts, read 8,427 times
Hi, reading your post. They are related to me. She taught my mom to dance and us kids. We are on the Schultz side. It's a German name. We all called her aunt ermie. Our family Schultz - our great great aunt passed away last year at the age of 101 and is the last person who would have been able to tell us more. I was four when she taught me. I can't dance though. Lol. My mom traveled with the dance troop. I think they had their own dance studio - we danced in the sixties- called Schultz dance studio . Not sure on that.

Old 06-06-2013, 02:22 PM

You descend from the Schultz side? I was not aware that Louis had any siblings. I'd really like to know more about that side. Cool stuff!

Old 06-07-2013, 06:23 AM

Howard taught my mom to dance. What was your grandfather Howard's wife name?

Old 06-07-2013, 08:21 PM

Let us PM this information. I contacted you privately. Email me from that address. No offense, I just need to know you're legit.

Old 06-07-2013, 09:49 PM

My great grandfather is William Schultz. I think his dad name was Thomas. I know Howard's wife name, just wanted to see if you said the same. He was a Chicago cop who walked the beat. Did your dad take dance lessons in the fifties or sixties? I have sisters and a brother. Do you? Also my mom brother has kids. All our great aunts and uncles from that side have passed away. My great grandfather had two boys and two girls. Only my grandmother had two kids. My mom and uncle. It was a small family. Did you find any dance programs from aunt ermies studio. My mom had an article about them organizing a dance production with children at navy pier for the soldiers. I always wanted to know more about them. I was only four when I danced and didn't take lessons for long. I danced at the Martinique theater in evergreen park. The lessons were brutal. Did you dance?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy