Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2014, 03:10 PM

31 posts, read 52,827 times

Advertisements

Nj, I am not descent from anyone on that record, although that is a funny thing how Hahn shows up in that cousin-branch.

That William M. Schultz in question, if Diane is right, would be a great great uncle of some kind...her Schultz ancestors are cousins to my great grandfather Louis. Somehow.

It's tough, because my great grandfather Louis, in documents in which I am absolutely sure is him, consistently have him as being born in Illinois. But a record in Illinois with him in it prior to 1910 cannot be found. I know his mother's name was Caroline...my paternal grandmother made a comment about her husbands (my Schultz grandfather) father's mother being Caroline...but Carl? cannot be found, nor anything conclusively with Caroline in it either.

Records with Louis in them are mixed up in regards to location of "father's place of birth"...one document mentioned United States, and I believe another said Germany. Diane's ancestor William M., who was a few years younger than my g grandpa Louis, Apparently had a dad also born in Germany. I suspect Louis and William M. were brothers, but who knows? This is quite a legit brick wall, here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2014, 04:00 PM

1,097 posts, read 2,046,809 times
I revisit this once in a while because quite frankly its too 'early'[or late] to be such a dead end, and it bugs me :+) If you lost them in 1860 - that's a different story. . .

Old 04-27-2014, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj185 View Post
I revisit this once in a while because quite frankly its too 'early'[or late] to be such a dead end, and it bugs me :+) If you lost them in 1860 - that's a different story. . .
Thanks for the interest, nj. I'm thinking it's nearly obvious that someone was wrong about someone's origin somewhere. Interestingly, I found a family from about Louis and William's time, a Schultz family with children with both those names and a "carl" and "caroline" as parent- in Wisconsin. I think the years of birth were very close but not quite there. Who knows, though.

Yeah, this bothers me too. To me, there's something extra special about knowing where yer far paternal side or bearers of your surname originated from exactly. Unfortunately, that is where my brick wall is placed.

Oh well, I shouldn't "boo hoo" too much. There are adopted children, by one example, who have no idea of their roots whatsoever, so I should be thankful for what I do know.

I would like to re-connect with Diane, my alleged cousin who chimed in here, but they seem to have just fallen from the face of the earth!

Old 05-01-2014, 02:18 PM

On second thought, I am thinking that Louis' father "carl" (or whatever his actual given name was) was born outside of the United states. I see a couple of documents saying so, and the one document I found, within the 1930 census, the preview says "united states" but the actual print on the document is some scribble which appears to possibly say something else (not the first wonky mistake in the previews on ancestry.com). I was looking at the actual print on the actual document today, and I am not sure how "united states" is got from that...it seems like one word, which kind of looks like the word "united" if you view it real quick, but closer inspection makes me skeptical. I'm at a computer at my local library, so I cannot link to here or anything- perhaps someone interested in my case here will endevour to find the 1930 Chicago census with Louis c. Schultz, Ermie Schultz, and Howard themselves and inspect.

I compare this with other folks on that same document who are described as having parent's origins from the states, and they clearly say "united states". The place for Louis' old man seems like one word, some hard-to-decipher scribble.

This adds up, concerning Howard supposedly being a cousin of diane's relative...her William M. Schultz born in or around 1875 apparently had a dad born in Germany.

Old 05-26-2014, 09:48 AM

Found a piece of documentation in my childhood home confirming my great grandfather "Louis" had a middle name of "Carl". That is the middle initial "C".

Old 05-26-2014, 10:48 AM

1,097 posts, read 2,046,809 times
Check ancestry's military records free today -- WW1 draft cards --- few possibilities -- and older men were also required to register ---
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy