Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2016, 01:48 AM

1,052 posts, read 1,305,870 times

Advertisements

Just found a possible record of a very interesting name, thought I'd see if 1) others see the same spelling I'm seeing on this hand written record and 2) have you ever heard of the name Alphare before?

In all records I have she's called Alpha (maiden name Russell married name Pool)... though in her father's will (Andrew M Russell, will in Perry Co., AL) she's listed as Alphare (it lists her as Alphare Pool so know it's the right person).

Attached Thumbnails
Name: Alphare-alphare-russell.png  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2016, 06:55 AM

4,040 posts, read 2,558,574 times
1) That's what I read
2) Never seen the name before

Old 04-27-2016, 12:15 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,536,679 times
Interesting name. It only googled a few results, but no Pool.

Did you make sure other p's in document looked like that? I ask only because I have seen that same type character used to designate double ss. (Not that it would make for a common name either.) I believe you are correct with Alphare. The only sound alike name I can think of is Alifaire.

Old 04-27-2016, 05:15 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,855,263 times
I searched for people with first name Alphare on Ancestry.com & got 103 hits.

Alpha has the meaning of first. Any chance Alphare was the first born of the family?

Old 04-27-2016, 06:23 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,378,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post

Did you make sure other p's in document looked like that? I ask only because I have seen that same type character used to designate double ss. (Not that it would make for a common name either.) I believe you are correct with Alphare. The only sound alike name I can think of is Alifaire.
I was thinking the same thing. Alifair McCoy, whose name in some historic newspapers is spelled Alphare, was murdered during the long-running and violent Hatfield-McCoy feud. (As an aside, I am distantly -- very distantly! -- related to the Hatfields.

Old 04-27-2016, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post

Always an excellent question... Confident it's Pool... mostly since it matches up to every other record I have. Alpha Russell m. Gabriel Pool in Perry Co. Alabama 2 July 1834. There are census records that match the right locations for her to be the daughter of Andrew M Russell (his will is where the excerpt is taken for). Also an account of a son of Gabriel Pool and Alpha Russell fits with those being her parents. Also all the other children in the will (from two marriages) match what is known of the family.

Additionally here's an another example of P in the same will:

Which seems to match. Excellent question though, was good for me to verify it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daliowa View Post
I searched for people with first name Alphare on Ancestry.com & got 103 hits.

Alpha has the meaning of first. Any chance Alphare was the first born of the family?
She was indeed the first born child, at least of her mother Mary Stewart, her father Andrew Russell had at least three children from a previous wife. Andrew and Mary's last child was Orlena and in family documentation there's a common joke that Orlena should have named Omega.

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I was thinking the same thing. Alifair McCoy, whose name in some historic newspapers is spelled Alphare, was murdered during the long-running and violent Hatfield-McCoy feud. (As an aside, I am distantly -- very distantly! -- related to the Hatfields.
Interesting. Spent a bit of time looking at Hatfields and McCoys (no direct relationship, though might be distantly related through collateral lines).

Interestingly this is the only record I've found where she's not listed as Alpha... though it's her father's will so found that interesting. Of course it could have been a transcription error.
Attached Thumbnails
Name: Alphare-mary-p-pierce.png  

Old 04-27-2016, 07:15 PM

I partially take back my last statement, about all other records listing her as Alpha... most due. On Ancestry.com there are two separate catalogs that have her and Gabriel Pools marriage... one lists her transcribed name as Alpha, the other as Alphar . I originally thought that might have been a mistake, but I guess maybe not. I haven't found an image of the original record unfortunately so can't look at it myself.

Old 04-28-2016, 01:51 PM

4,867 posts, read 4,811,151 times
I wonder if that's a version of Alafair.

Old 04-28-2016, 05:14 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,855,263 times
A transcription (as you mentioned being on Ancestry.com) is considered a secondary source.

I've seen transcriptions of identical documents on different sites (where different transcribers were used) & the names can be spelled differently in each index.

These old documents can be tough to read & one person may think it reads one way & another think it reads another. Seen this happen too many times to count.

Old 04-28-2016, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daliowa View Post
A transcription (as you mentioned being on Ancestry.com) is considered a secondary source.

I've seen transcriptions of identical documents on different sites (where different transcribers were used) & the names can be spelled differently in each index.

These old documents can be tough to read & one person may think it reads one way & another think it reads another. Seen this happen too many times to count.
Absolutely... I had hoped to find the original marriage record to see if it was indeed Alphar. All census records have Alpha however, as do family documents. Alphare may be just anomaly on the will. Found it interesting though. Also considering it's Alphare on the will and one transcription of her marriage record was Alphar... it's definitely possible.

Not important in the scheme of things, but hadn't run across Alphare as a name before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy