Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 02:35 PM

7,676 posts, read 5,521,274 times

Advertisements

So, as a female, it would be better to ask my brother to take the test? Then I would have the results attached to my profile so other relatives could find me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2013, 05:41 PM

37,095 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
So, as a female, it would be better to ask my brother to take the test? Then I would have the results attached to my profile so other relatives could find me?
If you want Y DNA for any line, you need a male in that line. For your father's surname, you can ask a brother, uncle, cousin --- any male blood relative with that surname. I used my brother for our father's surname line and a male first cousin for my mother's father's line.

Just attaching the results to your profile will not help much. The companies that do the test will tell you how to use your results to find matches. You can google (Surname) DNA project to find one for your name. Here is an example

Family Tree DNA - Garrett, Garratt and variants Family Website

The results are a series of sites on the chromosome represented by numbers. You can test 12, 24, 37 or more sites with Family Tree DNA. Men who have the same numbers at the same sites are related. Mutations may cause a small number (say 1 to 3) of the sites to be different. Men with matching profiles are grouped together, with a large group that do not match anyone.

23AndMe and other autosomal projects can be done by anyone, male or female. That test is done differently and matching is done through their website. I do not know how Ancestry.com and the others work.

Old 06-12-2013, 06:29 PM

7,676 posts, read 5,521,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
If you want Y DNA for any line, you need a male in that line. For your father's surname, you can ask a brother, uncle, cousin --- any male blood relative with that surname. I used my brother for our father's surname line and a male first cousin for my mother's father's line.
So, since both males and females on this planet have hundreds of female direct ancestors with corresponding fathers, it would appear that the results of a Y DNA test for one surname is rather meaningless in terms of answering the question - where did my ancestors come from?

Old 06-12-2013, 06:40 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,532,401 times
Quote:
So, since both males and females on this planet have hundreds of female direct ancestors with corresponding fathers, it would appear that the results of a Y DNA test for one surname is rather meaningless in terms of answering the question - where did my ancestors come from?
Not just hundreds, or thousands, but it goes to millions relatively quickly. Scientist believe that there is a person who died only a 1000 years ago that is the ancestral tree of every person with European blood.

It is generally believe that the land bridge vanished roughly 17,000 years ago so that people could no longer walk across from present day Russia to the Americas. To the best of our knowledge, the only confirmed visit across the oceans was by the Vikings before Christopher Columbus.

The most general consensus among scientists is that there were 50 million people in the hemisphere when Columbus arrived (although some scientists believe it was greater). While it is impossible to say how many people who crossed the land bridge died or had their descendants die out, it is now believed that those 50 million people are all descendants of 70 people. That is SEVEN-ZERO, not 70 thousand.

Old 06-12-2013, 07:04 PM
bjh

60,055 posts, read 30,368,879 times
Default We all get DNA from both parents!

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Men inherit their Y chromosome from their fathers. The Y has no matching chromosome with which to exchange information, so it stays pretty much the same from generation to generation. This can be used to trace the male line of a surname in cultures in which that name is passed from father to son.

Everyone gets mitchondrial DNA from his (or her) mother. For genealogy purposes, this is not very useful, because women's surnames traditionally change with each generation. That makes it difficult to find women to compare to.

The X chromosomes come from the mother only for a male and one from mom and one from dad for a female.

All the other chromosomes, known as autosomes, are inherited one from each parent. Men and women do get DNA from both parents.

This why the new genetic tests can find relatives for men and women.

Extracting DNA from Neanderthal remains is difficult and the researchers doing it are aware of the potential for contamination:

Neanderthal genomics and the evolution of modern humans
I was going to ask what planet some people are posting from, but you've covered it beautifully. I would just reword a bit. Men get their one X chromosome only from their mother. Then of course, women get an X from each parent. It started off sounding a bit like only men get an X.

Old 06-12-2013, 07:05 PM

Quote:
It depends on the question you are asking. "Where did my ancestors come from?" is not the same as "Who were my ancestors?"

Y DNA testing only does one line. It can tell you where the ancestors in that particular line came from --- a long time ago. Mitochondrial DNA can do the same thing.

Haplogroups:

DNA Haplogroups :: What do haplogroups tell us about our past?

If you want to know who your 5 times great grandfather was, you will need to do the traditional genealogical paperwork, looking for birth and death dates, marriages, the names of children.

If you could find a living male descendant for each line in your family, theoretically you could find out the deep ancestry for each line in your pedigree. Of course, many lines "daughter out", with no male descendants.

Whether you do Y DNA or autosomal testing, what you are hoping to find is another person in the line who knows more about it than you do.

For example, one of my brick walls is a Garrett male in the link I previously showed you. He now has matches to several men whose Garrett ancestors lived in the same area my ancestor is from. That means I now have some places to look for more information. Unfortunately, the paper trail may no longer exist.

Wars and courthouse fires are the bane of genealogical research. And, unfortunately, women were often not recorded at all or their maiden names were not mentioned in the written records.

Old 06-12-2013, 07:23 PM

560 posts, read 1,291,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
Men carry their father's DNA. Women don't.

In terms of tribal lore, most Native American tribes today speak of an honored ancestor who followed the track of the Bison (Wild Ox) across the Beringa Bridge from easternmost point of the Asian continent into North America. Today the largest herd of Bison in the world is in Poland. There is carbon dated proof of Native Americans in Oregon in 11,000 and in VA in 10,000 BCE. There is further evidence of the Native American in the Midwest 200 years BCE.

Neanderthal man of the Paleolithic Age was a robust, upright, human who walked with a biped gate, and inhabited Western Asia and Eastern Europe more than 33,000 years ago. I read where Neanderthal bones do not carry Neanderthal DNA, but the DNA of modern man who handled the bones.

Most people get 23 chromosomes from each parent. National Library of Medicine Genetics Home Reference -

http://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/chromosomes

Old 06-12-2013, 09:57 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,837,240 times
I have not purposefully had a DNA test. I'm sure it's been obtained along the way without my consent...but I'm not willing to pay the out of pocket cost.

Old 06-13-2013, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirlz View Post
I have not purposefully had a DNA test. I'm sure it's been obtained along the way without my consent...but I'm not willing to pay the out of pocket cost.
Who do you think did it without your knowledge and consent? Why would anyone do it?

The prices have come way down. 23AndMe is just $99.

Old 06-13-2013, 08:53 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
Not just hundreds, or thousands, but it goes to millions relatively quickly. Scientist believe that there is a person who died only a 1000 years ago that is the ancestral tree of every person with European blood.

It is generally believe that the land bridge vanished roughly 17,000 years ago so that people could no longer walk across from present day Russia to the Americas. To the best of our knowledge, the only confirmed visit across the oceans was by the Vikings before Christopher Columbus.

The most general consensus among scientists is that there were 50 million people in the hemisphere when Columbus arrived (although some scientists believe it was greater). While it is impossible to say how many people who crossed the land bridge died or had their descendants die out, it is now believed that those 50 million people are all descendants of 70 people. That is SEVEN-ZERO, not 70 thousand.
You know that land bridge thing is just a theory right? Here is a thought for you. Lets say that years ago some people were going to build a tower to get to God but God confounded the languages of the people and they all split off and left for differant parts of the world. Some of those people may have even built boats or barges and traveled to other lands. Lets say that years later another group of people did the same thing and they all happened to end up in this part of the world. What would you say if a record was kept of these people and you could get a copy of that record now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy