Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2016, 11:12 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,558,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildColonialGirl View Post
Whre did you find birth records from that far back? I know spellings change, but with no dates to confirm that two different names are the same person, how can you trust it?
Going that far back you have to look at Church records - e.g. Baptism records, not birth records. There are plenty of spelling variations, you'll normally need to look further at the parental names and relevant parental baptisms. Sometimes poor house records etc. Probate also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2016, 01:51 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,819,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I am a black American but have some European genealogy. I have some paternal Irish ancestors who came to America in the early 1800s. I have yet to trace any of my black ancestors to a particular record of importation or immigration but have traced them back to the mid 1700s in Maryland and Pennsylvania. My southern, enslaved ancestors, I have not been able to trace very far just to the 1870 census, but a couple of those ancestors were born in the late 1700s approximately. Also, I have relatives who were from Henry County, VA and who were owned by the Hairston Family, who were a family who owned the largest amount of slaves in the US for a while. In VA and NC they kept very good records, including genealogies of their slaves and so I have records of that line back to 1805, which is earlier than records I have about my Irish ancestors.
Wanted to note that I started researching on my paternal great grandmother's family this past summer and traced her Scottish ancestry to the 14th century via a very distant cousin who is also into genealogy that a 2nd cousin referred me to. This great grandmother's father's line is Scottish.

Her mother's line was English and I found another cousin who provided information on my great grandmother's maternal line back to the 1700s in England.

On my black American ancestors of this line, they hailed from Virginia and I found one of my great grandmother's ancestors was a "mullatto" who fought in the Revolution. He was born in approximately 1750. I found out this information due to a referral to a website about free black people in America prior to the Civil War. I confirmed this information with his Revolutionary pension application where he gave his approximate birth date/year, where he was born and a brief description of his service.

The Revolutionary soldier's son married a woman who was also a free person of color and her family was also from Virginia. They were listed as negro/black and I have information on them back to the mid 1700s.

I also recently started researching my maternal grandfather's family. His mother's family also descended of free people of color from North Carolina by way of Virginia. I have information on them from the mid 1700s as well. One of these ancestor's married a woman with the surname Bass in the early 1800s, who was a free woman of color. The Bass surname has a lot of documented ancestry for those of black and native ancestry, of which this woman was described to having been but I have not confirmed her parentage yet.

Old 10-23-2016, 10:54 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,377,272 times
1600s is the furthest I go back

Old 10-24-2016, 01:19 AM

4,490 posts, read 3,928,486 times
I have good records on my Father's Mother's side, I have it traced back to the 1600's. One of my ancestors was an associate of William Penn when he founded Pennsylvania. The coolest thing I have is the discharge papers from when one of my ancestors left the Army after the Civil War. I have his final pay voucher and this long letter from his Commanding Officer recommending that he be honorably discharged. They were apparently really formal back then. The weirdest thing is that it seriously looks like it was printed YESTERDAY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy