Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2014, 06:54 PM

25 posts, read 49,488 times

Advertisements

Okay, technically I just answered my question,(Mainly the African part) but here's the thing...

I tested both my mother and I at AncestryDna and my father at FTDNA(my father has dementia, and he could not follow the *Spit in the tube* instructions, so we figured cheek swabbing would work just the same).
We're mainly of African-Caribbean descent, I being 90%, mother 98% and my father 82% according to both tests.

So I got back my results showing some trace regions of
9% European
Great Britain 3%
Northwest Russia/Finland2%,
Irish1%
Scandanavia <1%
Eastern European,<1%
European Jewish<1%
and East Asian <1%

My father's test over at FTDNA did show The Russian/Finnish as well, but also showed Orkney Islands(So now he's Scottish?!) and that was all...
(and this was all added together as 17% European in total with a +0.10 margin of error)

I know this other stuff I have in my DNA is coming from him cause none of this shows in my mother's results at all! So why isn't ftdna picking this up? I'am assuming it can't be that low to be deemed noise cause when I compare my mother's results for example: My mother came back as 13% Nigerian, and in turn I only ended up with 3% where as she came up <1% North African, and I didn't inherit that at all. So in terms of the percentages I have on ancestrydna, my father should have higher percentages of the trace regions I'am showing too, shouldn't he? I'am assuming it's more than 1% for the others listed, so what gives ftdna?
Does this mean AncestryDna is a fluke or FTDNA has a certain percentage they like to show before they decide not to include it?

For the record, the Russian,Finnish and everything else showing up in both mine and my father's DNA was a BIG SURPRISE!
I was told my father's father was South Asian, lol well results show that wasn't true at all
And now my father's siblings are saying that wasn't true, and that it was on his mother's side...
Hopefully I can go to my father's home country sometime this year and find info on his father, cause as of now, his siblings have no information to confirm any of this...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy