Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 04:16 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,316,296 times

Advertisements

I have asked some of my friends and they say that they would not have the dna tests done because they don't want the pain of finding out what they may find. So I didn't push it.

maybe with time they will change their minds but I understand. Their business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2014, 07:23 AM

13 posts, read 14,363 times
I have lurked on this forum for years but just discovered this thread.

I have been DNA tested at all three of the major companies offering such tests, and I am pleased with my results. My main reason for testing was more about genealogy than simply only knowing ancestral origins. I am, though, just as much interested in my European heritage as I am with my African heritage. It all made me.

Old 08-06-2014, 08:06 AM

1,755 posts, read 2,997,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lena2345 View Post
In another thread, a poster by the name of CaribDoll, highlighted an excellent point about the vast amount of African culture that African descendants lost, as a result of the slave trade in the Americas.

I've encountered many African Americans who constantly talk about wanting to connect with their roots, but few know the actual country and tribal group of their ancestors. Well, guess what! For the last 8 years or so, Professor Henry Louis Gates (Harvard University) established a DNA research firm which has been able to establish sound testing to uncover your ancestors' countries of origin and tribal affiliations.

I'm curious as to why more African Americans are not taking advantage of the DNA testing? The testing is under $500. Imagine what you could do with such knowledge, once you've uncovered your actual ancestral identity.

For starters, if you are a descendant of the Igbo in Nigeria, you could book a trip to Nigeria and start unraveling your ancestors identity and your true composition. You could also learn (or at least attempt to learn) the lgbo language and customs of your ancestors. This would free you from the generic "black or African label" because you would actually know where in Africa your ancestors hailed from.

What are your thoughts?

I'm interested in finding out about it as well. But I'm unsure how accurate the information I've received from google searches are (which is why I'm here).

Is AncestryDNA also accurate and is this the same thing that Professor Henry Gates came up with?

Old 08-06-2014, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma X View Post
I have lurked on this forum for years but just discovered this thread.

I have been DNA tested at all three of the major companies offering such tests, and I am pleased with my results. My main reason for testing was more about genealogy than simply only knowing ancestral origins. I am, though, just as much interested in my European heritage as I am with my African heritage. It all made me.

Where did you take the tests, Enigma?

Old 08-06-2014, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Where did you take the tests, Enigma?
Royalite, I have not taken the test that Henry Louis Gates is associated with because it is not an autosomal test. It you are a woman it can only test your mother's mother's mother's (etc.) line, and if you are man, it can test your mother's (etc) and your father's father's father's (etc.) line. But the autosomal test will test all the parts that make you you. I took 23andMe, FTDNA, and Ancestry.com DNA. The tests are only $99.

Last edited by Enigma X; 08-06-2014 at 09:43 AM..

Old 08-06-2014, 09:33 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,228,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by key2thecity View Post
I agree that this technology is amazing and I would like to do the testing, but like many people in my generation, I wouldn't be able to test my paternal side so my history would still be incomplete. I was raised by a single mother and have no ties to my father's side at all. I'm sure a lot of people with that familial background would be discouraged since they would only get half of the picture anyway.

Also, in answer to another statement you made... I would like to know my roots, but I would probably never feel the need to declare a specific tribal heritage or country in Africa. My encounters with "real" Africans have left a lot to be desired. Believe me, African-Americans are not the only people that have lost touch with their roots! I don't think I would need to point to this or that country in Africa to feel complete.

Many of our family's helped build THIS country, and we are Americans and should be proud of that fact. A lot of people assume that African-Americans have no history because we were brought here against our will, but we do... it's called American History, and all of us should do more to learn what our roles were in it. Before we jump back hundreds of years, why don't we learn more about what we've done in this country? We were not JUST slaves. Our story does not begin and end during the Civil Rights era. We contributed to this country in many ways and in varied industries such as technology, math, and science. We have nothing to be ashamed of and our origin here is just as important as our African (or other countries and continents) history.

We definitely need to know where we came from and knowing our DNA lineage is a start. I just wish more of us would own what we've done here in OUR country (yes, the U.S.) before they consider embracing a country or tribe that may not embrace them back.

(Sorry! I'll get off my soapbox now )
I've thought about getting a DNA test to see if what I've been told by my parents (where relatives are from) is true. But as a white American of European descent, I agree with you. I don't feel any ties to any European countries or culture. I got to live in Europe for 3 years, and I thought it was funny that most Europeans could just look at me and know I'm American. Probably similar to comparing African Americans to Africans. All us Americans are a mix of this and that, which gives us a different "look" from actual Europeans and Africans.

Old 08-06-2014, 09:45 AM

I see that alot of people who've written here don't realize that the autosomal testing does give you results that reflects both your mother's and father's side. I am just throwing that out there.

Old 08-06-2014, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Royalite, I have not taken the test that Henry Louis Gates is associated with because it is not an autosomal test. It you are a woman it can only test your mother's mother's mother's (etc.) line, and if you are man, it can test your mother's (etc) and your father's father's father's (etc.) line. But the autosomal test will test all the parts that make you you. I took 23andMe, FTDNA, and Ancestry.com DNA. The tests are only $99.
Thank you for this. I've been looking at Ancestry.com but I didn't know how good it was.

Old 08-06-2014, 12:18 PM

360 posts, read 665,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I've thought about getting a DNA test to see if what I've been told by my parents (where relatives are from) is true. But as a white American of European descent, I agree with you. I don't feel any ties to any European countries or culture. I got to live in Europe for 3 years, and I thought it was funny that most Europeans could just look at me and know I'm American. Probably similar to comparing African Americans to Africans. All us Americans are a mix of this and that, which gives us a different "look" from actual Europeans and Africans.
Exactly. And although our country still has some issues with the "isms" (race, sex, etc.) we are still a part of one society. One country. We're a huge melting pot that should celebrate where we're from, regardless of our history. Historically, EVERY race/culture here was abused in some way or another on this land. The difference between blacks and others is that they were able to assimilate after a few centuries or mere decades - a fact specifically attributed to skin color. Regardless, I can't get with the idea of claiming another country or group as my own when I have nothing in common with them other than skin color and quite possibly DNA. It's not enough for me. I won't claim it.

Old 08-06-2014, 12:19 PM

360 posts, read 665,635 times
Quote:
I see that alot of people who've written here don't realize that the autosomal testing does give you results that reflects both your mother's and father's side. I am just throwing that out there.
I didn't know that... I would check it out just for the information then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy