Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 11:15 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,073,388 times

Advertisements

I bet someone out there will know just where I should look.

I cannot seem to make the leap over the ocean to England where my GGF was born Dec 27. 1827, near Liverpool. I don't know his mother's or father's names. I know there were 4 boys and 10 girls. One was named Alexander in the Royal Navy. My GGF was 3rd born.

This would be parish records right? Its a very common name and all my searches have yielded nothing but a headache !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2014, 02:42 PM

2,334 posts, read 2,650,654 times
I have some credits left on Genealogy Scottish family birth records census ancestry Scotland uk - ScotlandsPeople, but it's exclusive to Scotland, so that wouldn't help. It would be in Old Parish Records if you know of an English site like this one. Have you tried Find A Grave - Millions of Cemetery Records to look for Alexander and other names you know?

Old 07-11-2014, 03:41 PM

7,523 posts, read 13,645,526 times
According to FreeBMD Home Page the general recording of births in the UK did not start until 1837.

You could try looking thru the resources listed here Cyndi's List - United Kingdom & Ireland - England - Birth, Marriage, Death but some of them cost $$.

Old 07-11-2014, 06:55 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,876,939 times
I can try for you. I live in the US, am from the same county that Liverpool is in and, I am researching family from the 1800's who lived in Liverpool. Dm me what you have and I will look it up for you.

Old 07-11-2014, 07:00 PM

3,022 posts, read 5,858,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
I bet someone out there will know just where I should look.

I cannot seem to make the leap over the ocean to England where my GGF was born Dec 27. 1827, near Liverpool. I don't know his mother's or father's names. I know there were 4 boys and 10 girls. One was named Alexander in the Royal Navy. My GGF was 3rd born.

This would be parish records right? Its a very common name and all my searches have yielded nothing but a headache !

Have you tried UK census records? UK Census Collection - Ancestry.co.uk

If you don't have an Ancestry subscription than check if it's available for free on your local public library's computers. Many libraries have Ancestry.

Did GGF leave England at some point? You may find his parent's names on vitial records, i.e. marriage / death certificate.

Old 07-11-2014, 10:16 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,073,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daliowa View Post
Have you tried UK census records? UK Census Collection - Ancestry.co.uk

If you don't have an Ancestry subscription than check if it's available for free on your local public library's computers. Many libraries have Ancestry.

Did GGF leave England at some point? You may find his parent's names on vitial records, i.e. marriage / death certificate.
Yes did the library thing. Also my son has a subscription and he tried too. Problem is name : Scott. A million of them and none of them coincide with info I have about family (not much). Mother was Scottish. From a "very good family in Edinburg". Ha Ha Just try to find info about her.

Yes, GGF left England and sailed to Philly in 1841. Went to school there for one year. I have everything I need from there. But nothing has his father's name or mother's name for sure. What I have is "John Scott" married "James McNeil". How could John marry James??? Was James ever a woman's name in Scottland??

I am befuddled.

Old 07-12-2014, 04:43 AM

2,737 posts, read 3,167,359 times
Liverpool Register Office
St George's Hall
Heritage Entrance
St George's Place
Liverpool
L1 1JJ

Family history certificates - Liverpool City Council

Register Offices in England and Wales

Lancashire Birth, Deaths and Marriages - Lancashire Births Marriages & Deaths Indexes

Old 07-12-2014, 05:27 AM

8,394 posts, read 3,490,913 times
OP - if your GGF was born NEAR Liverpool, he might have been born just across the River Mersey - perhaps in the Birkenhead or Wallasey area. If so, at that time it would have been the county of Cheshire rather than Lancashire.

Old 07-12-2014, 08:51 AM

I did a quick search of the 1841 census for him in Liverpool thinking like above posters, it might not have been the city or burbs of Liverpool. And to see if he left before or after the census so that you can narrow your other searches for the US - when he arrived, etc..

I found a person that could be him, he's listed as an apprentice cabinet maker at age 14. This would be very normal for that period of time. Also, it would have been a good occupation. His older brother (same name as the dad you gave me) is a Cabinet Maker aged 20. His brother who is year older than subject is also same apprentice. I will DM you the copy of the census shortly. If I find his BC, you can order it from the registry office as notes above for Lancashire. It is located in Bolton, Lancs. I have been ordering some from there, and you can do it online, and it takes about 3 weeks. I think it costs around 9 pounds, $14 and is a certified copy. From this you can confirm his parents, place of birth, mother's maiden name, dad's occupation, etc.

If this is your person, it's interesting that their country of birth appears to be Ireland. I will try to confirm this. My dad was born there so I recently did a similar search.

PS - they are NOT listed with their parents but I will do an earlier census search and see what I can find to confirm names.

Last edited by RaleighLass; 07-12-2014 at 08:52 AM.. Reason: added "NOT"

Old 07-12-2014, 08:58 AM

Ok, upon reading more to see whether the country of birth was Ireland with a fancy "I" or something else, I see that their "I" is transcribed as an "S", it lists them as all born in Scotland. And, I have found the parents born in 1786 in Scotland. I need to do another cross reference to be sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy