Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 12:01 PM

7,517 posts, read 13,624,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
It is 64 bit. Shows you what I know!
FWIW, just found this Windows help webpage at
32-bit and 64-bit Windows: frequently asked questions - Windows Help
where it says:
"Most programs designed for the 32-bit version of Windows will work on the 64-bit version of Windows. Notable exceptions are many antivirus programs."

Also, if you're OK with your family tree being stored on the Internet, like with Ancestry.com, a friend of mine prefers a site called Free Family Tree, Genealogy and Family History - MyHeritage Parts of it are free, but some parts are a subscription. He likes the way you can authorize others to add/edit the tree.

I'm sticking with my FTM Ver 7
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2014, 12:12 PM

540 posts, read 1,105,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
Roots Magic is the FREE version I am running now. Can't decide which one to buy. Tomorrow is my day off so I will probably make a decision very soon. Keep the suggestions coming!
Cool...just remember there are some things not available in the free program as opposed to paid. What type of expanded reports are you looking for in Roots Magic?

Also, another thing I like about Roots Magic is that they have over 40 free webinars to watch on using Roots Magic. If you haven't checked those out, you might try one.

Old 09-21-2014, 01:39 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,528,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas_nightowl View Post
Cool...just remember there are some things not available in the free program as opposed to paid. What type of expanded reports are you looking for in Roots Magic?

Also, another thing I like about Roots Magic is that they have over 40 free webinars to watch on using Roots Magic. If you haven't checked those out, you might try one.
I want a full paid version whichever it may end up being. The one report I know I want is the kinship report. Ideally I'll get my FTM7 working on this laptop but I will pay for one if I can't get it to work.

Old 09-21-2014, 01:49 PM

Hmm...Roots Magic does a "Kinship List" report? It is "A list of everyone related to an individual."

Under Reports>Lists, choose "Kinship List" then click "Create Report". You then select the "Start Person" and generate the report. Then it is a list of every person in the database related to the "Start Person" with their relationship.

I did a sample one and it lists everyone from wife and mother to spouse of third great grandnephew! It can be very long!!

Is that what you meant by kinship report?

Old 09-21-2014, 03:29 PM

Also, I checked and the RM Kinship List does *NOT* allow you to limit it to a certain number of degrees of relation, though this has been requested by users on the forums. So it's a request that Roots Magic has noted but no idea if or when they will implement that request. So the kinship reports lists EVERYONE related to the selected person.

To see a list of features in RootsMagic Essentials (free) vs RootsMagic (paid), see:
RootsMagic Features

Webinars can be found here:
RootsMagic Webinars

Old 09-21-2014, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas_nightowl View Post
Hmm...Roots Magic does a "Kinship List" report? It is "A list of everyone related to an individual."

Under Reports>Lists, choose "Kinship List" then click "Create Report". You then select the "Start Person" and generate the report. Then it is a list of every person in the database related to the "Start Person" with their relationship.

I did a sample one and it lists everyone from wife and mother to spouse of third great grandnephew! It can be very long!!

Is that what you meant by kinship report?
Yes, that is it and you have to have the full paid version to run it. Been troubleshooting installing FTM7 but not getting anywhere and have to get to work now. I figured out how to install in compatability mode but haven't gotten it to work yet. I'll try again tomorrow.

Old 09-22-2014, 07:21 AM

I got FTM7 installed! I think I may be too used to Roots Magic! Does anyone prefer Roots Magic over FTM?

Old 09-22-2014, 09:50 AM

738 posts, read 999,736 times
Did Ancestry ever get those 'sync' problems resolved in the 2012 and 2014 versions of FTM?

I was a longtime PAF user and finally purchased Roots Magic. It's OK..., but I would switch to FTM in a heartbeat if the sync feature worked like it's supposed to.

RVcook

Edited to add: Nevermind...I just saw that the sync problems (as well as other problems) are still unresolved. Sigh...

Old 09-22-2014, 11:00 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,877,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVcook View Post
Did Ancestry ever get those 'sync' problems resolved in the 2012 and 2014 versions of FTM?

I was a longtime PAF user and finally purchased Roots Magic. It's OK..., but I would switch to FTM in a heartbeat if the sync feature worked like it's supposed to.

RVcook

Edited to add: Nevermind...I just saw that the sync problems (as well as other problems) are still unresolved. Sigh...
I have FTM 2012 and never had sync problems, it works perfectly fine for the vast majority of people.

Old 10-02-2014, 08:48 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,815,877 times
I had FTM on an XP computer. I saved all the data to a flash drive and then transferred it to Win 7 separately. I got the " incompatibility" notice. However, I can open the FTM files and put them into an Ancestry tree which is 100% blocked to all but myself. This way, I can look at one or the other and decide which is correct based on primary source records I have. Eventually, I will download all the Ancestry items to my computer and do it on my own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy