Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2014, 02:59 PM

106 posts, read 140,985 times

Advertisements

4 out of five siblings look more like my Dad. The 4 of us siblings resemble one another so much as to sometimes cause confusion to others. My Dads brothers have daughters and we see the strong resemblance to our cousins. The fun part, Dad and the uncles looked nothing like their parents, they looked like their maternal Grandmother which means I look like my Ggrandmother...seriously, dems some powerful genes! But there is rub, I can find nothing about this women other than one mention in the 1940 census and I'm totally obsessed. Ggrandmother hailed from Holyrood Newfoundland and I believe records were destroyed in a St Johns fire. The search continues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2014, 12:19 AM

23 posts, read 25,780 times
That's genetic recombination! The luck of the draw! Read this"Understanding Genetics

Old 11-29-2014, 04:35 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times
I look a lot like Mom. I have Dad's temperment. I am Dad's temperment. Mom spend a lot of time making peace. Stubborness runs in both families but on steroids with Dad's.

Old 11-29-2014, 07:16 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,992,988 times
I look like my Dad. He looked like his mother. Therefore, I look like my paternal grandmother.

This grandmother did not look like her mother, so we're assuming she looked like her father..of whom we have no pictures.

I have my Dad's personality and healthy constitution as well.

My Dad's sister looked like their father.

Funny thing though.. take a picture of my aunt, turn it upside down .........and it looks like me!

Old 11-29-2014, 07:56 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
My mother used to say that her siblings alternated in coloring. One would have very dark hair, the next would have reddish hair. This was for nine children but in one instance the pattern was broken and it didn't alternate. When they asked their mother they learned that in that place a child had died.

That never made any sense to me and it still doesn't, but that's how it was.

I am tall like my dad, have good skin like my mother and I got her bad feet. I don't think I look like either one.

Old 11-29-2014, 08:59 PM

4,205 posts, read 4,457,265 times
I look like a combo but with more bone structure and frame like mom's side. In some old photos at comparable ages I can easily look like one of my uncle's with a just a few minor differences.

Of siblings, three look like combinations, one is predominantly dad's side, and three are noticeably mom's side. This is a topic that was a always a source of fun conversation in our family. For instance, while I look mostly like mom's side in bone structure (cheek bones, etc...) I have my dad's eye color, upper lip, eyebrows, and ears (larger lobes). My one sibling (sister) who looks like Dad's side has a cousin (dad's sister's daughter), who she shares a strong resemblance. It's fun to see where the genetic tree branches veer and 'recombine'.

This game of comparing is more fun with large families as you get more data points to compare and see which side seems to be more dominant genetically, as you compare siblings.

My parents had many friends with large families and the one we always had some good natured joking with was a family where every child they had (8) all looked very much alike with little to no variation aesthetically. We said they we being replicated in the same genetic mold.

Old 11-29-2014, 11:01 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
My dad over all but he wasn't born with very blonde hair like me. That apparently comes from mothers side from what I have seen in pictures.

Old 11-30-2014, 12:00 AM

44,630 posts, read 61,620,191 times
I look like my mother, my sister looks like my dad, my brother looks like our grandmother. It's in how the genes were reacting at the time of conception.

Old 11-30-2014, 12:26 AM

51,691 posts, read 15,694,782 times
I think I look more like my dad.

Old 11-30-2014, 12:58 AM

5,624 posts, read 6,844,919 times
I look like my dad
My older brother looks more like my mom (though my dad isnt his dad)
--------
As for my children:
Son- looks like me
daughter 1- Looks like hubby
daughter 2- looks like me

son and daughter 2 look alike. Though im ALWAYS asked if both daughters are twins!? Drives me and then crazy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy