Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 01:36 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,484,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8635angelvalley View Post
II is for a child maned after his uncle.Your son should be IV
Yes, I was going to say...my father was III (later Jr), his dad was II (later Sr), and his uncle was the 1st. When the direct line of descent is broken, I always thought the child was the II, not Jr.

Anyway, name him Henry the 8th if you like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2015, 04:04 PM

2,852 posts, read 1,612,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
This is so subjective. My husband is the third, son is the fourth. So far, no pressure or feeling they have to live up to their dad because the name.
You posted my thoughts exactly... I'm a 3rd.. was called Threezie a good deal of my younger life...
I didn't try to be like my dad... although that would have been quite a task... My dad's (92) a great man who I cherish and respect very much...

Old 02-24-2015, 04:37 PM

37,107 posts, read 41,238,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
All this family stuff is hysterical, if you actually do your family tree you will realize half way that SOMEONE had an illegitmate child, oh wait several someones.

And THEY'RE just the ones folk knew about.

Just ONE cuckold disrupts the entire family gene line, and cheating was just as common then, as it is now.

So all this geneology is important to no one but whoever is interested in it, and the experts realize that the truth can never be known.
With DNA testing the truth can be known.

It's amazing to me to find DNA connections with someone seven or eight generations back. To me that has some implications for fidelity. Sure, if the infidelity was with someone related to the spouse, DNA might not pick that up. However, illegitimate did not always mean unacknowledged.

Old 02-24-2015, 06:43 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,139,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highpoint1 View Post
In fact, I believe that it used to be customary for people to cease using suffixes upon the deaths of their relatives. So, if a family looks like this:

John Smith
John Smith, Jr.
John Smith III

And the first dies, Jr. becomes simply "John Smith" and John Smith III becomes John Smith Jr.

"II" is really only appropriate when one has the same name as an older relative, but is not the child of that person. So if Bill Jones names his son Tom after his living brother, the son is Tom Jones II.

There's a great deal more information here:
Suffix (name) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
IMHO, it can be very confusing.

When I was growing up we had close family friends, Robert, Senior (about 75 when I was a child), Robert, Junior (about 50), Robert the third (about 25), called Bobby the third and his baby boy called Bobby the fourth. All of the family lived together or next door to each other.

Ten years later, when I was a teenager, Robert, Senior passed away so everyone moved up. Now there was Robert Senior (age 60), Bobby the third started to use Robert Junior (age 35) and his son, now called (whether that was correct or not) Bobby the third (age 11).

Well, twenty years later, the oldest passed away. OMG! Now they all used new names again.

I remember visiting my parents and they were talking about Robert Senior (age 55) who I used to know as Robert Junior AND as Bobby the third. His son (age 31) was now called Robert Junior and he had a son also named Robert.

Now, that Robert Senior is gone and the newest Robert Senior is the baby boy that I remember seeing as a newborn, plus he has a son and grandson named Robert as well (I don't know about numbers, if any). They still live on the family farm in several houses right next to each.

Frankly, every time we talked about the family it took a few minutes just to figure out who we were actually talking about. These were/are prominent members of the community and it must be even worse for other people to understand who is who.

Old 02-24-2015, 07:09 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,313,683 times
If the person you're referring to as John Smith Sr. was the son of Robert Smith, he only became "John Smith Senior" when he had a son he named Junior. Therefore, you are III and your son will be IV. If the original John Smith, your great-great-grandfather, had no son named John Smith Junior who is YOUR direct descendant, then his connection to the name you bear is irrelevant.

Old 02-24-2015, 07:25 PM

1,668 posts, read 1,485,990 times
My dad went by Jr so I would be the 3rd. I remember as a young boy being in the bank with dad and there was some confusion cus he didn't always sign his name the same way. In our case the middle names are different so I always include my middle initial in my signature. I don't know if my grandfather had a middle name. I think a different middle name is a good idea.

Old 02-24-2015, 07:49 PM

997 posts, read 1,311,969 times
Great feedback all, thanks. These days, changing the suffix as Suzy_Q mentioned would really mess up credit reports and not worth it. Somehow, my father benefited from my credit a few years ago and way back when I had trouble getting a mortgage because his credit was pulling too. It's really odd and I've been through that a few times so the suffix will not change. We all share the middle name which was originally the maiden name of Elizabeth the very 1st John's wife.

Yes, if Robert was really a John then I would be the 4th. But I am the 3rd forever, we only recently found the birth cert for my grandfather listing his father as John (not Robert) sort of confirming this family story. The mother is of course correct and the handwriting seems concise. All the names/genealogy are positively correct with the possible exception of the Robert name. He passed right before I was born but my father knew him well, we are a close family. Friends and family say name the baby the 5th (Johnny 5!, let me know if you get that movie line) but this story might get tiring, admittedly.

Old 02-24-2015, 07:56 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,827,890 times
You also have the option to name the child's middle name instead of first to continue it. My middle name is such by firs name different. Quite common in earlier years. Just as it was is again common for women to use their maiden last name as middle name . Whatever John Smith.

Old 02-24-2015, 08:04 PM

2,700 posts, read 4,937,272 times
I myself do not understand naming your sons tha same name as you and adding a number.. Why not give them an identity unto them selves and give them a unique name to them...

Old 02-24-2015, 09:07 PM

147 posts, read 178,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
The only purpose is to differentiate living people with the same name, to avoid confusion, so I'd go with IV. Years from now, some genealogist will bless you for it.
No, they'll hate him, because unless the folks in question are royalty, the numbers are only added if his predecessors are still living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy