Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2015, 01:01 PM

10,214 posts, read 17,877,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDriven View Post
In any case, you don't have the absolute knowledge to say that no DNA is unique to one part of Europe because you don't have a time machine.
Well, according to all the sample groups from all the available admixture calculators out there, it is true that there is no DNA which is 100% unique to a specific part of Europe.

Quote:
It is precise for me, Ancestry.com matched my verbal lineage,
Great for you - maybe you had DNA which happened to be more specific to certain areas. But not everyone's is, and therefore as a whole, it is not a precise science.

Quote:
they connected me with my parents and Granddad, and I don't have the same last name as my Granddad.
I'm not sure what you mean by this - if you mean that you and your granddad both took the test and show up as a match to each other, of course you would. The ethnicity results have little to nothing to do with the match list.

Quote:
Maybe you just trace to people who are bunch of migrants. My DNA is the same from Ancestry.com to FTDNA, so maybe I trace to natives.

It all has to do with migrants, if people migrated in the 1500s from Italy to Spain and told their children you're a Spaniard, then yes, there will be a non-match. However, if you can get a group of people who date to Spain, and they all match with each other, it is then possible to get a native DNA count.
This isn't about the results being different from expected, or "non-match", it's about different tests giving wildly different results because the DNA I inherited from my British, Norwegian, and German ancestors is all too similar to tell apart.

Quote:
Spaniard is not nationality, Spain is a nationality, Spaniards are indigenous peoples to the nation called Spain, or Iberian Peninsula.
Spaniards are people who speak Spanish as their mother tongue. The Iberian Peninsula includes Portugal and the Portuguese don't speak Spanish, they speak Portuguese.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spaniards

"Spaniards (Spanish: españoles [espaˈɲoles])[a] are a nation and ethnic group native to Spain that share a common Spanish culture and speak the Spanish language as a mother tongue."

In the context you were using it in - ie, we're only talking about Europe here, it is only the nation of Spain where the mother tongue is Spanish.

Old 11-15-2015, 01:23 PM

84 posts, read 145,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Well, according to all the sample groups from all the available admixture calculators out there, it is true that there is no DNA which is 100% unique to a specific part of Europe.
You accept the people they have tested, they haven't tested all of Europe so you need absolute knowledge.

Quote:
Great for you - maybe you had DNA which happened to be more specific to certain areas. But not everyone's is, and therefore as a whole, it is not a precise science.
It probably is showing you that you came from Nordic peoples who migrated.

Quote:
This isn't about the results being different from expected, or "non-match", it's about different tests giving wildly different results because the DNA I inherited from my British, Norwegian, and German ancestors is all too similar to tell apart.
That is odd because they matched my German ancestry, and I have really close to the average for a typical Native in Germany.

34% Scandinvian
26% West/central Europe

34% plus 26% is 60% and Ancestry says you're 55% British, so maybe those Scandinavians, and West/Central Europeans are British, or vice versa, or they belong to migrant groups of peoples whose verbal lineage changed over the years.

[quote=PA2UK;41943746]
Spaniards are people who speak Spanish as their mother tongue. The Iberian Peninsula includes Portugal and the Portuguese don't speak Spanish, they speak Portuguese.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spaniards

Partly true, a Mexican speaking Spanish is not Spaniard, merriam webster defines Spanish as those who are native to Spain.

But you do have a point about the Portuguese and Spaniards. So perhaps the Iberian Peninsula native would be better.

Old 11-15-2015, 02:26 PM

4,749 posts, read 4,322,571 times
The term "white people" groups folks of European descent together. Just like the term "black people" groups folks of African descent together. My parents are from the Caribbean but since they are American citizens, they identify as black people.

At one point in time, I said, "But Daddy, my skin is brown not black."

Old 11-15-2015, 02:27 PM

17,342 posts, read 11,277,677 times
Do the tests tell you how much Neanderthal is in your ancestry? Seriously, we all have some Neanderthal. I recently read something where people from different parts of the world were tested and percentages varied by regions with southern Europe and parts of Asia having the most Neanderthal genes. I suppose it's now an accepted scientific fact that Neanderthals didn't die out, they interbred with others and their gene pool became greatly diluted but it's still traceable.
I just thought that was more interesting than trying to find out what "white" really means.

Old 11-15-2015, 04:07 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,460,736 times
Most white Europeans, let alone Americans, Canadians and white Hispanics, are mixed with all kinds of ethnicities, that the whole premise is silly. White is a race, Irish, German, Polish etc. is an ethnicity/nationality/culture. Every European country has a huge history of migration and ethnic mixing that no one is 100% Italian or 100% French, anyway.

Old 11-15-2015, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Most white Europeans, let alone Americans, Canadians and white Hispanics, are mixed with all kinds of ethnicities, that the whole premise is silly. White is a race, Irish, German, Polish etc. is an ethnicity/nationality/culture. Every European country has a huge history of migration and ethnic mixing that no one is 100% Italian or 100% French, anyway.
I still don't know what a white Hispanic is because by definition, a Hispanic person is a mixed race person regardless of their skin color. Also, aren't all ethnic European people white regardless what country they are from?
I've been to Europe numerous times and the people of Greece, Italy, Spain are just as white as the Irish, Germans and English.
You can even look at portraits of people from the Renaissance and earlier of southern Europeans and they look just as white as northern Europeans so this isn't a recent occurrence.
I'm bringing this up because I've had people tell me that Spaniards and Italians aren't really white.

Old 11-15-2015, 04:56 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,897,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I still don't know what a white Hispanic is because by definition, a Hispanic person is a mixed race person regardless of their skin color. Also, aren't all ethnic European people white regardless what country they are from?
I've been to Europe numerous times and the people of Greece, Italy, Spain are just as white as the Irish, Germans and English.
You can even look at portraits of people from the Renaissance and earlier of southern Europeans and they look just as white as northern Europeans so this isn't a recent occurrence.
I'm bringing this up because I've had people tell me that Spaniards and Italians aren't really white.
Spaniards and Italians are white. lol

Hispanic isn't at all related to race although Spaniards technically fit the Hispanic classification of the US census I don't believe they identify themselves as Hispanic. Hispanic most accurately defines someone with origins in a Spanish speaking Latin American country regardless of race.

Old 11-15-2015, 05:10 PM

31,041 posts, read 22,077,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I've got Irish ancestry, and I'm really, really...really white.

Beside, it's easier saying "white" than say, "I'm Irish, English, Italian, and a tiny drop of Choctaw". No, I'm "white".
I like being "White" in a generic way. I have a multitude of other than Euro in me so European isnt accurate.

Old 11-15-2015, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
Spaniards and Italians are white. lol

Hispanic isn't at all related to race although Spaniards technically fit the Hispanic classification of the US census I don't believe they identify themselves as Hispanic. Hispanic most accurately defines someone with origins in a Spanish speaking Latin American country regardless of race.
Thank you for clarifying.

Old 11-15-2015, 05:44 PM

10,214 posts, read 17,877,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDriven View Post
You accept the people they have tested, they haven't tested all of Europe so you need absolute knowledge.
No, but neither have you, so you can't know that there is DNA which is 100% unique to one very specific area of Europe. The extensive research done so far has found no such DNA which is totally unique to one small area of Europe - if there is such DNA, it must be pretty rare and making the claim that there's no such things as "white people" on that theoretical and rare basis is somewhat outlandish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy