Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 09:10 AM

4,620 posts, read 15,049,651 times

Advertisements

It was inevitable, but I was hoping I'd have more time to enjoy the current format. Just got the email saying all accounts will be changed over to New Ancestry on December 15th.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2015, 04:53 PM

1,109 posts, read 904,622 times
I'm not happy about this either. I do not like the new version. The only other option is to cancel ancestry, and to use Family Tree Maker....

Old 11-23-2015, 07:20 PM

10,451 posts, read 15,339,786 times
23andme decides to upgrade to a new format, suddenly its competitors do the same. lol

Old 11-23-2015, 08:52 PM

26,667 posts, read 28,913,417 times
Maybe it's mostly a matter of getting used to it. I was on there yesterday and sort of started to like it. Some things are hard to find but once you find them it's okay. What I don't like is having my tree spread like a narrow ribbon across the screen. I can't see enough of the tree at one time.

Old 11-24-2015, 03:47 AM

13,495 posts, read 18,288,857 times
I used it for a couple of weeks, and I thought it kept bombarding me with "stories" and other features that may entertain some people but they annoyed the fire out of me. I changed back to the old version. Now, the inevitable condemnation to the NEW! IMPROVED! FUN! FUN! version....reminds me of the atrocity that was Windows 8.

Both are essentially designed for people who are less into reading and more into symbols and blobs of colour, etc. It is an approach and a visual style that will inevitably take over everywhere as people are less and less able to read well.

Old 11-24-2015, 05:45 AM

4,620 posts, read 15,049,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
I used it for a couple of weeks, and I thought it kept bombarding me with "stories" and other features that may entertain some people but they annoyed the fire out of me. I changed back to the old version. Now, the inevitable condemnation to the NEW! IMPROVED! FUN! FUN! version....reminds me of the atrocity that was Windows 8.

Both are essentially designed for people who are less into reading and more into symbols and blobs of colour, etc. It is an approach and a visual style that will inevitably take over everywhere as people are less and less able to read well.
You've nailed it exactly! When I want to get down to business and work, I do not want to be entertained with flashy colors nor icon tiles nor sidebars or bottom bars that fill up a screen as if that's what I want to see rather than my focal that's hidden behind them.

I'm old fashioned for a good reason. I still use AOL desktop software for email because there's nothing wrong with having the word Delete to click to get rid of something. With google email I have to find the little trash barrel icon which doesn't stick out since it's the same size and color as all the icons for mail management. Windows 8 lived in my home for one month before it was ditched, and a return to Windows 7 was a sigh of relief.

It's truly sad when software and websites encourage and contribute to the dumbing-down of humanity. The concept that humans cannot function without being entertained in the process is tragic.

Old 11-24-2015, 08:04 AM

110 posts, read 87,256 times
Quote:
reminds me of the atrocity that was Windows 8
Windows 8 was (is) a groundbreaking step in the right direction. Windows 8.1 was better and windows 10 is better than anything on the market.

Moderator cut: rude sentence deleted.

Last edited by in_newengland; 11-24-2015 at 04:59 PM..

Old 11-24-2015, 11:24 AM

10,225 posts, read 18,009,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
23andme decides to upgrade to a new format, suddenly its competitors do the same. lol
Ancestry.com's change was long in the making - it was first introduced in beta mode for select users back in February, long before 23andMe announced their upgrades.

Old 11-24-2015, 11:28 AM

10,225 posts, read 18,009,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post

I'm wondering if you're talking about the LifeStory view? Because if you stick to the FACTS view, it's very similar to the old profile view, with the facts timeline on the left and the sources and immediate family on the right. I'm not sure what you mean by being "bombarded with stories" - can you clarify?

Old 11-24-2015, 11:37 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,321,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Maybe it's mostly a matter of getting used to it. I was on there yesterday and sort of started to like it. Some things are hard to find but once you find them it's okay. What I don't like is having my tree spread like a narrow ribbon across the screen. I can't see enough of the tree at one time.
+1

I at first always switched back to classic view, until I took a short genealogy break for a while, when I came back I started using the new UI without thinking about it. I think mostly it's just familiarity, not unlike a new OS that comes out. Some things are better, some are worse, mostly it's just a bit different and once you get used to it it's really not *that* different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy