Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2015, 08:28 PM

10,115 posts, read 19,418,499 times

Advertisements

I don't know where to post this, and I figure this thread will give me the most sympathy, since that's all I really want!

Or, it could go in the moving section, but I will put it here. We moved last April, and I was determined to do a major purge. In the process, I got a little carried away, and got rid of some things I now regret.

I had a huge, and mean huge, pile of table linens. They probably weighed 100 lb+. Look, I never use tablecloths, so, out they go. After all, I had been toting them around 30+ years, most were my mother's stuff. In the process, I tossed donated some vintage stuff from the 50's that I could have sold on Ebay, but just didn't have the time. Oh, well.....those were my mother's things.

But the worse part....I got rid of at least 10 sets of Damask table linens, some with the original labels, some Irish lace with labels. I found later, they were from the Edwardian era, about....1914. That was the year my grandparents were married! They must have been wedding gifts! In the process of doing family genealogy, I realized my GM moved as a young bride from PA to Detroit. She must have packed and taken her treasures with her. I found they lived in 3 different rentals before their "forever" home. I can imagine her keeping her treasures carefully stored, waiting for her home to grace with them. Then, probably, that special occasion just never came along. I do remember my mother claiming them and jealously guarding them. She comingled them with her own linens, etc. I knew they were important but never why.

Years went by, my mother died, and I somehow inherited them. They've been through 10+ moves. They were always something I just packed and dragged along, not something I truly "kept". Ok, like I said, I decided last move was a major purge. "Get Rid of It" became my battle cry! So, out they went....donated to charities, etc. I can only hope someone bought them who appreciated their true value, not just a cheap dining cloth......

I did decide to keep a few, just to keep them, so, guess I have something. If you have something of value and want your children to inherit/value it, please, tell them about it! Don't just keep it stored in the attic, a "big secret"! Studying one's family history bring's an appreciation of such things, just don't let it be too late! I literally felt sick when I discovered what they truly were. Not just "some old stuff from the attic", but a young bride's treasures, taken on what was then a long journey, to her new home. Oh, well, Grandma, I/ve lost your treasures, but gained your story. You weren't always just "Grandma" you were once a young bride with hopes, dreams, and visions of the future!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2015, 08:35 PM

1,615 posts, read 1,643,246 times
Alls I can say is you wrote a touching story of your family and sounds alot like stuff my mom and grandmother had saved. We all have given things away to charities and been sad later,but we just cant save everything as you wouldnt have the room over time. Thanks for sharing.

Old 11-16-2015, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv my dayton View Post
Alls I can say is you wrote a touching story of your family and sounds alot like stuff my mom and grandmother had saved. We all have given things away to charities and been sad later,but we just cant save everything as you wouldnt have the room over time. Thanks for sharing.

Eventually, little by little, the treasures of the past go. Like you say, we simply can't save everything. I think, deep in my heart, I knew they were of some value unknown to me at the time. That's part of the reason I parted with them. This will be our second to last move before retirement, and I didn't want everything to pile up on me for one final decision. If its emotional now, it would be overwhelming later. I guess I just wanted to spread out the pain over time, instead of it being one big hurt.

I wasn't in very good shape when we moved. I was in extreme pain from a bad hip, I later had it replaced after we moved. We had an unreasonable landlord, who wanted us OUT before the end of the month, when we had paid through the end. He put so much pressure on us, along with just the pressure of moving,etc. We rented a 10/10 storage unit which is packed to the gills, despite selling/donating a ton of stuff. I felt I didn't make the best decisions, but not the worse, either.

Old 11-16-2015, 09:23 PM

My Grandmother, obviously the "irish lace" type!

Old 11-16-2015, 09:36 PM

26,657 posts, read 28,714,563 times
She is lovely and beautifully dressed. We can't keep everything that belonged to them though. At first we want to cling to all of it but as life goes on, we keep filtering things out and hanging on to those items that we deem most important and significant.

If these things someday act as touchstones for the younger generations so that they, too, start to think about who they are and where they came from, that's a good thing. Sometimes all it takes is an old quilt or a necklace, a sword, a piece of furniture to stimulate someone's curiosity about their family history.

Old 11-17-2015, 09:02 AM

[quote=in_newengland;41962964]She is lovely and beautifully dressed. We can't keep everything that belonged to them though. At first we want to cling to all of it but as life goes on, we keep filtering things out and hanging on to those items that we deem most important and significant.

If these things someday act as touchstones for the younger generations so that they, too, start to think about who they are and where they came from, that's a good thing. Sometimes all it takes is an old quilt or a necklace, a sword, a piece of furniture to stimulate someone's curiosity about their family history.[/quote]

Actually, it was tracing my grandmother's sister that prompted my curiosity. I never knew her married name. In the process, I uncovered a ton of information about my family. Its amazing what's out there if one knows where to look! I always thought they were Irish, actually they were Scottish. I've traced them back to pre-revolution era!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy