Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2016, 06:11 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,335,670 times

Advertisements

On 23andme I get a Eastern European percentage that neither of my parents have they have no result for Eastern Europe.Does this mean it's a throwback or something how did I inherit it? or is just not high enough or detectable enough in my parents?
I mean they have no column for Eastern europe at all.
In other dna tests Dnatribes.com,the defunct decodeme.com I also came up very eastern euro.
Im pleased about it as I was obesssed with Eastern europe since I was a child.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2016, 08:25 PM

10,214 posts, read 17,869,223 times
How high is the percentage? There's a margin of error where small percentages in particular can just be a result of "noise". Additionally, there's a lot of overlap between neighboring regions so it's possible for DNA from, say, a German ancestor to pop up under Eastern European instead. There is no DNA which is totally unique to any one region of Europe so unfortunately, none of it is very precise.

Old 04-05-2016, 08:40 PM

It's only small,Yes it could be that my grandmother had a Prussian surname,Prussia is polish and german,so perhaps from my grandmother i inherited the polish aspect and my mother the german.
but if it was my mother that got the german how did she pass the polish onto me.oh it's funny.
i would say it's noise but I got high Eastern euro in other tests.

Old 04-05-2016, 08:59 PM

10,214 posts, read 17,869,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiethegreat View Post
It's only small,Yes it could be that my grandmother had a Prussian surname,Prussia is polish and german,so perhaps from my grandmother i inherited the polish aspect and my mother the german.
but if it was my mother that got the german how did she pass the polish onto me.oh it's funny.
The autosomal DNA tests today look at unique combinations of SNPs to match them with sample groups. Due to recombination, it's possible you got a small combo of SNPs that you're mother didn't have, but which happened to identify as Eastern European.

Quote:
i would say it's noise but I got high Eastern euro in other tests.
What other tests were they? I know at Gedmatch, you have to be careful because some of them are heavy weighted to certain groups or regions. As an extreme example, if you have no African ancestry but run your DNA through one of the admixture calculators that is specifically designed for African heritage, you will get results in Africa even though it's not an accurate representation of your background.

Old 04-05-2016, 09:07 PM

SNP analysis of 23andme data by Dnatribes

half a million markers SNP analysis by decodeme genetics

STR analysis by Dnatribes - almost exclusively polish results with that
I know nobody uses Short tandem repeats anymore.

Old 04-06-2016, 07:08 AM

5,328 posts, read 6,016,928 times
Quote:
<snip> I know nobody uses Short tandem repeats anymore.
Just the FBI and others of that ilk.

"The 2015 Expanded FBI STR Population Data includes allele frequencies for the autosomal STR loci as determined with both the GlobalFiler and Fusion kits in African Americans, Caucasians, Southeastern Hispanics, Southwestern Hispanics, Bahamians, Jamaicans, Trinidadians, Apaches, Navajos, Chamorros and Filipinos."

https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/lab/bio...al-6-16-15.pdf

Old 04-06-2016, 11:24 AM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
I know nobody uses Short tandem repeats anymore.
Family Tree DNA's Y chromosome test uses STRs.

https://www.familytreedna.com/learn/...r-marker-mean/

Old 04-06-2016, 05:15 PM

3,978 posts, read 4,575,824 times
Quote:
On 23andme I get a Eastern European percentage that neither of my parents have they have no result for Eastern Europe.Does this mean it's a throwback or something how did I inherit it? or is just not high enough or detectable enough in my parents?
I mean they have no column for Eastern europe at all.
In other dna tests Dnatribes.com,the defunct decodeme.com I also came up very eastern euro.
Im pleased about it as I was obesssed with Eastern europe since I was a child.
Everyone is saying that the test is inaccurate. But, have you ever consider the possibility that your mom messed around?

Old 04-06-2016, 05:27 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,850,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker15 View Post
Everyone is saying that the test is inaccurate. But, have you ever consider the possibility that your mom messed around?

Since OP seems to be saying that the parents did the DNA testing also, than the DNA results should show their relationship to each other.

When my cousin & I did FamilyTreeDNA the results showed us as cousins.

Unless I misunderstood what OP was saying & her parents did not do DNA testing?

Old 04-06-2016, 09:12 PM

I have 23andme results for my parents And me,the funny thing is in my teens as I said I was obesssed with eastern europe and constantly asked my mum/mom where the obesssion came from if she had friends or something that we're Eastern European but she said no.
But this certainly explains it ,just odd that neither of my parents have it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy