Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2016, 05:17 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,470,414 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post
Yes they did. Actually every family line from all those states I listed eventually funneled into Arkansas, then Oklahoma and on to California in the early 1940s. Then we hit the Pacific Ocean and are sort of stuck. Maybe its time to reverse the order.
Looks like most of my California bound ancestors ended up in Merced or Auburn, near Sacramento. I've contacted a few 3rd cousins that still live out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2016, 07:38 AM

2,567 posts, read 5,313,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Did your ancestors move from the South to Wisconsin? I had two great aunts that moved from Eastern Kentucky to Green Bay WI in the Depression.
No, I kept hoping I'd find maternal ancestors who left the South or otherwise did something a little different in that sense, but it didn't happen. Even very few of my (so far) many known cousins made it westward past Texas and northward past Tennessee. Last week I was so excited to find a cluster of cousins living in Arkansas, with a couple even in Oklahoma!

My mom was living near her folks in the Tampa Bay area when she met my dad (born in upstate New York), who had taken a job in Clearwater. They married, moved to CT and VA, and then to California where I was born. I've moved around a lot, too, most recently settling here in Milwaukee.

I don't meet a lot of Wisconsinites with southern ancestors or roots, so it's interesting to hear of your great aunts moving from KY to Green Bay.

Old 09-26-2016, 05:39 PM

1,659 posts, read 1,256,065 times
Parents: California

MATERNAL:

*Grandparents: Arizona, Utah
*Great-Grandparents: Utah, Idaho, Arizona
*2nd Great-Grandparents: Utah, Illinois, Missouri, England, Wales
*3rd Great-Grandparents: Missouri, Virginia, Maine, Canada, England
*4th Great-Grandparents: Georgia, South Carolina, Virginia, West Virginia, New York, Massachusetts, Maine, England

PATERNAL:

*Grandparents: California, Oklahoma
*Great-Grandparents: Indian Territory (OK), Texas, Arkansas, Alabama
*2nd Great-Grandparents: Texas, Arkansas, Alabama, Georgia
*3rd Great-Grandparents: Texas, Arkansas, Missouri, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina
*4th Great-Grandparents: Indiana, Kentucky, Tennessee, Alabama, South Carolina, North Carolina, Virginia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy