Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 06:51 AM

8,268 posts, read 8,643,023 times

Advertisements

I don't have a problem with paying a company when I use their service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2016, 01:05 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,901,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiethegreat View Post
Why on earth do the libraries not allow access to the family trees,may have to just do a free trial.

I finally decided to do that this morning. Haven't found out much of anything I didn't already know yet but sure have found a LOT of mistakes on things other people have entered. Did find things one of my cousins put in there and it's accurate. I need to call her.

Old 05-16-2016, 03:25 PM

37,100 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiethegreat View Post
yeah sorry I meant the site.I suppose its free so you get limited features of the product.
The library pays for a subscription. It's not free.

Old 05-16-2016, 03:50 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,334,819 times
Yea sure I should just subscribe but I only need the photo my family trees are pretty complete.

Old 05-18-2016, 09:00 AM

Quick question...after my free trial is done will I have access to more info than I do with the freebie? Just curious because I'm having a hard time finding info that I KNOW should be there. I have found a lot of things and am having fun with it. I have the cancellation number handy, just in case, but am hoping it might be worth it.

Old 05-18-2016, 11:01 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,462,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
Quick question...after my free trial is done will I have access to more info than I do with the freebie? Just curious because I'm having a hard time finding info that I KNOW should be there. I have found a lot of things and am having fun with it. I have the cancellation number handy, just in case, but am hoping it might be worth it.
Yes, mainly you can see who other people have listed as the parents of people on their family trees. Of course everyone could be wrong . The big thing I like is access to pictures.

Old 05-18-2016, 12:51 PM

10,208 posts, read 17,859,740 times
Quote:
The free trial should give you access to the records database. Depending on which subscription plan you chose to trial, you may have full access or only access to US records. Whatever plan you picked to trial, is what you're subscription will be for, so your access won't change once the trial is over and you switch to the subscription.

If you only have access to the free databases, it sounds like you may have signed up for the free guest account, not the free trial. Here's the free trial, did it look like this when you signed up?: Start your FREE trial at Ancestry

What records are you trying to find that you know should be there? A lot of people seem to think that they should be able to find their own birth certificate, or their parent's marriage record, etc on Ancestry.com, but the fact is those records are much too recent for them to be public, which means they can't be found online/Ancestry.com. Each state has differing privacy laws, but birth certificates for living people in particular are always private, meaning only the individuals named on the certificate can order it from the state, and they need to provide ID, etc. If these are the type of records you were looking for, it's not a case of not having full access to Ancestry.com, it's just a case of Ancestry.com not having all records that ever existed, especially more recent ones, due to privacy laws.

Last edited by PA2UK; 05-18-2016 at 01:00 PM..

Old 05-18-2016, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
The free trial should give you access to the records database. Depending on which subscription plan you chose to trial, you may have full access or only access to US records. Whatever plan you picked to trial, is what you're subscription will be for, so your access won't change once the trial is over and you switch to the subscription.

If you only have access to the free databases, it sounds like you may have signed up for the free guest account, not the free trial. Here's the free trial, did it look like this when you signed up?: Start your FREE trial at Ancestry

What records are you trying to find that you know should be there? A lot of people seem to think that they should be able to find their own birth certificate, or their parent's marriage record, etc on Ancestry.com, but the fact is those records are much too recent for them to be public, which means they can't be found online/Ancestry.com. Each state has differing privacy laws, but birth certificates for living people in particular are always private, meaning only the individuals named on the certificate can order it from the state, and they need to provide ID, etc. If these are the type of records you were looking for, it's not a case of not having full access to Ancestry.com, it's just a case of Ancestry.com not having all records that ever existed, especially more recent ones, due to privacy laws.

I don't recall "choosing" any access but I see records from England, Wales, Australia, etc. so who knows?

When I signed up it said "free trial". Not that page though. I did it through the Ancestry home page and got an e-mail thanking me for signing up for the "free trial" and how to cancel if I wanted after it was up.

Not looking for anything after the 1940 census records although it IS all caught up on my families death records and such. Even my mom in 2014 which surprised me. Sometimes I just have to change last names and whatnot to find what I'm looking for, especially in the case of women ancestors. I found my mom's naturalization record from 1953. I thought she would have gotten it under her maiden name but she didn't so had to check both. I found the marriage for my parents but not the one for him and my birth mom in 1941. Mom and Dad married in 1947 when she came from Australia.

Old 05-18-2016, 07:15 PM

10,208 posts, read 17,859,740 times
Quote:
I don't recall "choosing" any access but I see records from England, Wales, Australia, etc. so who knows?

When I signed up it said "free trial". Not that page though. I did it through the Ancestry home page and got an e-mail thanking me for signing up for the "free trial" and how to cancel if I wanted after it was up.
It must have defaulted to the World subscription then, which means you already have full access to their database. Once it switches from free trial to subscription, you will not gain anymore access than you already have.

Old 05-19-2016, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
It must have defaulted to the World subscription then, which means you already have full access to their database. Once it switches from free trial to subscription, you will not gain anymore access than you already have.

Okay, I figured out some stuff. I found a forum online that covers the Civil War and one part has a lot of genealogical info in it plus ways to look up things on Ancestry. I guess I wasn't putting in quite the 'right' info or something.

One thing I've not been able to find is my grandmother's brother in the 1930 Los Angeles census and I know it's there because one of our members here found it a long time ago. She's not around anymore though and I can't find that old post. I did, of course, write it all down but who knows where I put it?? I'm usually pretty organized about stuff like that but it's been a couple of years so...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy