Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2019, 09:05 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,063,850 times

Advertisements

Free access to Civil War records on Fold3 now until April 15.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2019, 08:57 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,336,890 times
Did a little searching on the interwebs at 23andMe blogs/message boards and it seems, at least right now, that they are not going to allow people to upload their raw DNA file from competing companies on DNA Day (April 25th) like they did last year.

There does seem to be a bunch of sales/deals out there on the various DNA/Genealogy websites this week leading up to Thursday and DNA Day. I expect the next round of sales/deals will be before Mother's Day in May then before Father's Day in June.

Old 04-21-2019, 09:01 AM

23,867 posts, read 33,568,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Did a little searching on the interwebs at 23andMe blogs/message boards and it seems, at least right now, that they are not going to allow people to upload their raw DNA file from competing companies on DNA Day (April 25th) like they did last year.

There does seem to be a bunch of sales/deals out there on the various DNA/Genealogy websites this week leading up to Thursday and DNA Day. I expect the next round of sales/deals will be before Mother's Day in May then Father's Day in June.
You'd think they would lower their prices by now with all the money they make from selling results. Would be nice if the health would come down to $150.

Old 04-21-2019, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
You'd think they would lower their prices by now with all the money they make from selling results. Would be nice if the health would come down to $150.
Being in scientific research and naturally a science nerd, I'm sure they sell results to companies, but the DNA (Cs, Ts, Gs, As) is just one aspect, to get the full picture of what it all means, wouldn't these companies buying the info need detailed health histories and/or blood work histories of everybody as well?

How can you say well so-so gene means this person might get xyz cancer or might be obese or might have hypertension or high cholesterol if there is no health data linked to the DNA data, if you know what if mean. Basically they have the genotype (your DNA), but no phenotype, unless people are supplying these companies with all of their detailed medical history and blood work results?

I don't know, I've never done the health side of my DNA. Or are they (these companies buying the raw DNA results) just using already done scientific research from around the world (universities and governments) that has already matched genotypes with phenotypes and figured out what genes do what?

Old 04-21-2019, 10:45 AM

Good questions. Maybe PA2UK will see the thread bumped and offer an opinion. If anyone can answer it, it would be her. All I know is 23 and me sells the data to pharmaceutical companies. I've never heard anyone say they've done health surveys. Ancestry also does it but I don't think they do it on the scale that 23 and me does.

There's another company that I posted about a few months ago where you upload your ancestry etc results then do surveys. They also pay you if they start to make money. I've signed up for it but haven't uploaded DNA yet or done anything. I just wanted to get registered before they close registration.

Old 04-21-2019, 11:23 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,881,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Being in scientific research and naturally a science nerd, I'm sure they sell results to companies, but the DNA (Cs, Ts, Gs, As) is just one aspect, to get the full picture of what it all means, wouldn't these companies buying the info need detailed health histories and/or blood work histories of everybody as well?

How can you say well so-so gene means this person might get xyz cancer or might be obese or might have hypertension or high cholesterol if there is no health data linked to the DNA data, if you know what if mean. Basically they have the genotype (your DNA), but no phenotype, unless people are supplying these companies with all of their detailed medical history and blood work results?

I don't know, I've never done the health side of my DNA. Or are they (these companies buying the raw DNA results) just using already done scientific research from around the world (universities and governments) that has already matched genotypes with phenotypes and figured out what genes do what?
That's why 23andMe has so many surveys and questionnaires - they are optional, of course, but yes, if you don't supply answers to those questions, your DNA might not be of much use to the research.

Old 04-25-2019, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Next sale is mother's and father's day so if you want DNA, now is the time to buy. I personally suggest Ancestry due to their extremely large database and family trees. I've been there 4 years, have not had to use my free trial yet. it's a great site to work on family trees.

Ancestry DNA $59 *Hurry, offer ends 2/14. Excludes taxes and shipping
My Heritage - $59‎ from $79‎
FTDNA - This Valentine’s Day, celebrate love and family, and find out what else you have in common. $20 off family finder $59
Not on sale - 23 and me and at FTDNA Y-DNA and mtDNA

Please remember, you can upload your Ancestry DNA to My Heritage, FTDNA and GEDmatch Genesis. Genesis offers free ethnicity and family matching. It's a public site which means Law Enforcement can and does upload crime scene DNA there to cat ch criminals. With My eritage and FTDNA they give free family matching; there is a small charge; FTDNA is $19 for myOrigins (ethnicity), ancientOrigins and Chromosome Browser. We still do not know how much My Heritage will be. I will have to pay at some point for my cousins DNA. I'm prepared to pay up to $30. I know I can get a test on sale for $59. In my opinion; My Heritage has the best DNA site out of everyone. Their ethnicity may not be accurate for everyone; it's been accurate for me, so I'm happy. What you're paying for is the cool tools like sorting by country, surnames of matches, family trees of matches when matches provide it and chromosome browser which I use with DNA painter. Too see all My Heritage offers, see the quote below. See my thread //www.city-data.com/forum/genea...l#post52497844 for directions to upload to the DNA sites. Why not upload when it's free. Make you r DNA dollars really go far.

Don't forget, you can use Topcash back and Ebates to get cash back on your DNA purchase at ancestry. See the post below.
Quote:
Ancestry DNA $89

If you order DNA; Topcashback and ebates give 7.5% cash back with each test. Join both sites then shop online like you normally would adding items to your cart. Once you're done open top cash back, type in the store/ website you're shopping at; it will give you the cash back link, next, hit your ebates cash back browser button, once activated go to your cart and check out. It's that easy.

Top cash back

Ebates - has a button you can add to your browser, thats the easiest way to use it.

My Heritage will start charging to upload autosomal DNA Dec 17th

Quote:
So happy my uncles test got finished and uploaded! I wish my SIL would have gotten her test uploaded.

No more extensions. Basically, uploads are still free. So is Exporting DNA Matches, Contacting DNA Matches, Shared ancestral surnames. They will be charging a one time fee for Ethnicity Estimate, Chromosome Browser, Trees of DNA Matches, Shared DNA Matches, Shared Ethnicities, Shared ancestral places. They do not know how much they will charge and will be testing different price points for the one-time fee. MyHeritage subscribers who already have a Premium, PremiumPlus or Complete Subscription do NOT have to pay anything to unlock the extra features for uploaded DNA kits. They can upload as many kits as they want and enjoy all the premium features for all uploads.

Starting Today: New DNA Upload Policy by Talya · December 16, 2018

Quote:
If you’ve done a DNA test before on another service, uploading your DNA data to MyHeritage can help you break down genealogical brick walls and uncover new relatives. Genetic genealogists call this “fishing in another pond” for DNA Matches, to benefit from the opportunity to be matched with the huge base of customers who have tested their DNA exclusively on MyHeritage. As we announced previously, starting today, December 16, 2018, users can upload their raw DNA data from other testing services for free, and they will still receive all DNA Matches for free, but unlocking extra features for uploaded DNA data will cost an extra fee.
Quote:
For a few days, starting on December 16, 2018, we will be testing different price points for the one-time fee, and different users may notice different prices. This will be finalized within a few days and then we will update this blog post to indicate the final fee.
Some Mothers day sales are posted

23 and me health is on sale for $169. I'm not seeing a cut off date.

Ancestry DNA is $69 *Offer ends 25 Apr 2019. Excludes taxes and shipping.

My Heritage is $59 *I'm not seeing a cut off date. Note, you can upload your DNA for free family matching to get the additional tools mentioned above it's $30 in the US. I hear it's about $40 in other countries.

FTDNA is $49 for family finder DNA DAY OFFER—UP TO 30% OFF Y-DNA is $129, mtDNA is $149. Note, you can upload your DNA for free family matching

Old 04-25-2019, 07:28 AM

Happy DNA Day everyone!

Old 04-25-2019, 09:24 AM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
That's why 23andMe has so many surveys and questionnaires - they are optional, of course, but yes, if you don't supply answers to those questions, your DNA might not be of much use to the research.
I did their surveys for quite a while but have stopped recently just because I got tired of it. And they always said I have completed more surveys than 90% of the members. Wow, that means people just aren't bothering. I was hoping to contribute to research but it's not much good with those low numbers.

Happy DNA Day to all!

Old 04-25-2019, 11:16 AM

Happy DNA day. Too bad 23 and me isn't allowing uploads today. I was ready! Darn...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy