Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2020, 09:41 AM

23,867 posts, read 33,561,054 times

Advertisements

I suggest testing at Ancestry who has the largest DNA database, then upload free to My Heritage and FTDNA.

St. Patrick’s Day sales

Ancestry Sale $59 Original price $99

23 and me - I'm seeing free shipping with the more expensive health test which is $199. Their page says you get 10% off if you purchase additional health kits.

My Heritage $59‎; normally $79 - note shipping is $12 which brings it to $71, also you have to pay to ship it back to them. My Heritage allows free uploads, once your Ancestry DNA comes back you can upload for free then pay $29 for the extra DNA tools. If you do a test at My Heritage, it does not include the extra tools, you have to purchase a subscription for about $100. See the directions below to upload to My Heritage which also tells you what they give free and what's included for the $29 fee

FTDNA Family finder sale - $59 You're better off buying a test from Ancestry. FTDNA also allows free uploads. For $19 you can get ethnicity, ancient ethnicity and chromosome browser. FTDNA's web site is very archaic. They also do not have an app. They also allow law enforcement to upload crime scene DNA. You're automatically opted in when you upload and turn matching on or if you buy a test; so you need to shut it off in settings if you do not want LE matching[/b]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
See my thread Family tree and DNA general instructions for how to back up your Ancestry DNA to upload at the free sites

My Heritage allows free uploads, you then pay a $29 fee to unlock all the tools which ends up being a lot cheaper then if you would have bought the kit for $59 because you would have to buy a subscription in order to get all of the tools. See the quote below Here is the subscription rate page if anyone is interested in seeing prices. Directions on how to upload your DNA to My Heritage

Premium plan - $129 year
Premium plus - $209 year
Complete - $299 year

Quote:
Add a MyHeritage Complete plan - first month FREE
Explore family trees of your DNA Matches
Access all 10.1 billion historical records on MyHeritage
After the first month, you'll enjoy a 50% discount and be charged $299 $149 for the first year. You can cancel at any time.
Quote:
You can do ebates and top cash back with some of them.

Ancestry and 23 and me are the 2 sites that do not allow free uploads for family matching so if you're going to do DNA, do it at one of the 2. Ancestry has the largest DNA database if you're looking for family. I have not seen 23 and me health any cheaper then $99.

My Heritage and FTDNA allow free uploads for family matching. You can pay $29 at My Heritage to get extra tools and $19 at FTDNA for ethnicity, chromosome browser and ancient ethnicity. FTDNA automatically opts you into law enforcement matching when you opt in to family matching so you'll have to turn it off in settings if you don't want to do it.

See my thread for directions to upload http:////www.city-data.com/forum/gen...l#post52497844
Quote:
My Heritage - Go to your profile, At the top it says home, family tree, discoveries, DNA, photos, research; mouse over family tree you'll see import GEDcom and manage trees, click manage trees, on the far right under actions you'll see export to GEDcom. My Heritage is limited with free family tree accounts. I have 203 people in my tree, it's telling me I have reached the maximum and will have to pay to add more people.

Now to the DNA

My Heritage DNA is normally $79 but it goes on sale for $49. Note, you can upload your DNA from another company for free family matching, exporting DNA matches, contacting matches and shared surnames of matches. For a fee of $29, you can unlock other features like ethnicity, family trees of matches, chromosome browser, shared DNA matches, shared ethnicities, shared ancestral places. They also offer theory of family relativity that tells how you match some people. There is also a AutoClusters for DNA Matches which is a pay feature.

MyHeritage subscribers who already have a Premium, PremiumPlus or Complete Subscription do NOT have to pay anything to unlock the extra features for uploaded DNA kits. They can upload as many kits as they want and enjoy all the premium features for all uploads.

Join My Heritage, upload your family tree GEDcom file. To upload your DNA from another company, go to your profile, you will see the DNA tab where you can upload your raw data. They're saying they will eventually be charging to upload raw data. To upload DNA to another person in your tree, find them on the tree then click their name, it will open a box on the left that has the link to upload.

My Heritage has a lot of neat features they recently added. I'll post a link to their newest blog about it
Introducing the New DNA Match Review Page

My Heritage has also gotten into health testing for $199‎. I've seen it on sale for as low as $99. I have not done it so can not offer experience. When you click the health testing link you can read what they test for. Here is a blog post I found Navigating Your MyHeritage DNA Health Reports

If you're going to upload to My Heritage but you don't recognize any of your matches, consider messaging your Ancestry DNA matches to ask them to upload for free too. I have 2 cousins that helped me out, It's really helped me see how many are related thru my maternal grandmother. I'm able to click a common match and follow them to see if one of my cousins comes up. They offer so much more to find matches then Ancestry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2020, 11:46 AM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,391,518 times
Reminder if you're looking for something to do today and through the 18th, free Irish records on ancestry.com

https://www.ancestry.com/cs/stpatricksday

Old 08-10-2020, 11:16 AM

Ancestry DNA is $59 right now. Not sure how long

Old 08-11-2020, 04:03 AM

FTDNA sale Save On Family Finder, Y-DNA, and mtDNA During Our Annual Summer Sale! Ends Aug 31
Family finder, normally $79, on sale $59 - note, they allow free DNA uploads for free family matching you can then pay $19 for ethnicity, ancient ethnicity and chromosome browser. Their site is very archaic, they also allow LE (law enforcement) to upload crime scene DNA. When you upload or buy a test (including Y-DNA or mtDNA) and opt into family matching, you're automatically opted into LE matching. It is easily turned off in settings at the top right by clicking your name, then account settings, privacy and sharing.

Y-DNA sale basic Y-37 $109 normally $119, Y-111 $219 was $249, Big Y-700 $399 normally $449 mtDNA $139 was $159

How to upload your ancestry DNA results to free sites see Family tree and DNA general instructions, scroll to now to the DNA

MyHeritage DNA Normally $79, on sale for $49‎ Standard shipping $12 - total $61, you then have to pay to ship it back which adds another $6. They also do not tell you that you have to buy a subscription package (see the quote below) in order to access the DNA tools. You can buy the test on sale at Ancestry cheaper, when the results come in, upload to My Heritage for free then pay $29 to unlock the premium tools

Follow the directions in the Family tree and DNA general instructions, scroll to now to the DNA to save your Ancestry DNA RAW file to upload, then see the directions here to upload your ancestry DNA results to My Heritage.

Quote:
From the my heritage users FB group showing they do not give premium DNA tools when you purchase their test, uploading and paying $29 is cheaper. You'll have to buy an expensive subscription plan to get it.

With a MyHeritage DNA Test you will receive the Ethnicity Estimate, DNA Matches, you can contact the DNA Managers via the DNA Matches, export the DNA Match list, use the Shared Ancestral surnames feature and use the chromosome browser. If you want to use all the power features of MyHeritage, including the additional advanced DNA features, a Complete Plan is a good choice. You can try the current 14-day free trial of the Complete Plan. And if you do not cancel it before the expiry date, you will receive a 50% discount.

If you do wish to cancel the free trial within the 14 days, you should log into your website, click on your name in the right upper corner > Site Settings > My purchases.

Quote:
Ancestry DNA sale page DNA $59 $40 off - Health, normally $179, $50 off, sale $129. Health is not available in NY, NJ, or RI.
*Offers end 17 Aug 2020

Before buying Ancestry health, read the review by PA2UK AncestryHealth Results are in!

When I click buy DNA test, it leads me to a world explorer sale

Quote:
World Explorer Special offer
Go beyond your DNA.
Uncover your whole family story with a World Explorer Membership.

Access the entire family history record collection on Ancestry® with a 3-month World Explorer membership.
Only $1* for first 3 months,
renews to a 3-month plan
Quote:
*Offers end 17 Aug 2020. The tests offered by AncestryHealth® are physician-ordered and are not diagnostic. The tests are not reviewed or approved by the FDA and are not available in NY, NJ, or RI.

Ancestry Health post by PA2UK to go to the thread, click the arrow next to PA2UK's name in the quote below

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
My AncestryHealth Core results are in... unsurprisingly, there's not many reports yet (only 13) but of course if they're really sticking to this subscription idea, it means my results will stay this way unless I subscribe, which I won't because no other company requires that.

https://genealogical-musings.blogspo...ts-are-in.html

Definitely not worth the extra $49.

Old 09-22-2020, 09:39 AM

Want to bump this thread for newer members interested in doing DNA or getting a subscription at Ancestry or My Heritage.

For new members interested in doing DNA, do it at Ancestry 1st. It's normally $99, it goes on sale for $59 pretty regularly. Ancestry has the largest DNA database plus they have family trees, some that are public. In order to see the public trees you have to pay for a subscription or you can go to your local library who has a subscription that you can use to look up people. When you join Ancestry, they usually give a free 2 week trial, my advice is to save it for when you really run into a road block. I've been at Ancestry about 5 years, I have not had to use my 2 week trial yet. See the pinned thread, Family tree and DNA general instructions where I tell the mistakes I made so that you don't waste time doing the same thing. I suggest scanning over it before joining any other sites like My Heritage because you can back up the family tree you make on Ancestry to upload it to My Heritage when you join.

After getting your DNA done at Ancestry, you can download your RAW DNA data to upload to My Heritage and FTDNA for free family matching. Do not purchase a test directly from either. Lots of people will buy a test at My Heritage because it regularly goes on sale for $49, that test adds up. It's about $12 shipping and handling, then you have to pay to ship it back to them. Ancestry has a postage paid box. So you're now spending about $65. Ancestry's $59 sale will have $10 shipping, so you're spending $69. They do not tell you that you do not get their premium DNA tools when you buy a test, so you'll have to purchase a subscription plan that's about $100. When you upload, it's free, if you want the premium tools, which I highly suggest if you're into genealogy, it's $29 and very worth it. I love My Heritage because it is world-wide. They show you what matches you have in different countries, for me it shows Hungary, Austria, Sweden and Romania to name a few. They also have the best DNA tools out of any of the sites. As of right now, their ethnicity isn't correct for everyone. They're pretty good if you're European like I am. They're going to be doing an ethnicity update at some point this year.

See the quote below for specific directions where it says "Follow the directions in the Family tree and DNA general instructions, scroll to now to the DNA to save your Ancestry DNA RAW file to upload, then see the directions here to upload your ancestry DNA results to My Heritage".

FTDNA is also free to upload for family matching. Beware, when you upload or turn matching on, you're automatically opted into matching with crime scene DNA. They allow LE (law enforcement) to upload crime scene DNA. You may have seen some of the articles about various killers like Golden State Killer being nabbed by DNA. This is how. If you do not want to opt into LE matching, once you're logged in, go to the top right corner where your name and kit number is. You'll see account settings when you mouse over it, look for privacy and sharing, scroll to Matching Preferences, scroll to Law Enforcement Matching (LEM). To be opted out slide it to the left.

Law Enforcement Matching (LEM)

Quote:
On a case-by-case basis, FamilyTreeDNA grants law enforcement and, in some cases, third parties working with law enforcement permission to upload a genetic file in an effort to help identify the remains of a deceased individual or a perpetrator of a homicide, abduction, or sexual assault. Permission is only granted after the required documentation is submitted, reviewed, and approved. (See Law Enforcement Guide.)

If you are opted in to Law Enforcement Matching, you will only show up in the matches list of a law enforcement user account if ALL of the following requirements are met:

You are a DNA relative of the DNA file uploaded to the law enforcement user account
Both you and the law enforcement user account have the same matching levels selected

Note: If a law enforcement user account meets the above requirements, the information accessible to them will be identical to the information you’ve made accessible to your other matches.

Quote:
FTDNA sale Save On Family Finder, Y-DNA, and mtDNA During Our Annual Summer Sale! Ends Aug 31
Family finder, normally $79, on sale $59 - note, they allow free DNA uploads for free family matching you can then pay $19 for ethnicity, ancient ethnicity and chromosome browser. Their site is very archaic, they also allow LE (law enforcement) to upload crime scene DNA. When you upload or buy a test (including Y-DNA or mtDNA) and opt into family matching, you're automatically opted into LE matching. It is easily turned off in settings at the top right by clicking your name, then account settings, privacy and sharing.

Y-DNA sale basic Y-37 $109 normally $119, Y-111 $219 was $249, Big Y-700 $399 normally $449 mtDNA $139 was $159

How to upload your ancestry DNA results to free sites see Family tree and DNA general instructions, scroll to now to the DNA

MyHeritage DNA Normally $79, on sale for $49‎ Standard shipping $12 - total $61, you then have to pay to ship it back which adds another $6. They also do not tell you that you have to buy a subscription package (see the quote below) in order to access the DNA tools. You can buy the test on sale at Ancestry cheaper, when the results come in, upload to My Heritage for free then pay $29 to unlock the premium tools

Follow the directions in the Family tree and DNA general instructions, scroll to now to the DNA to save your Ancestry DNA RAW file to upload, then see the directions here to upload your ancestry DNA results to My Heritage.

Quote:
From the my heritage users FB group showing they do not give premium DNA tools when you purchase their test, uploading and paying $29 is cheaper. You'll have to buy an expensive subscription plan to get it.

With a MyHeritage DNA Test you will receive the Ethnicity Estimate, DNA Matches, you can contact the DNA Managers via the DNA Matches, export the DNA Match list, use the Shared Ancestral surnames feature and use the chromosome browser. If you want to use all the power features of MyHeritage, including the additional advanced DNA features, a Complete Plan is a good choice. You can try the current 14-day free trial of the Complete Plan. And if you do not cancel it before the expiry date, you will receive a 50% discount.

If you do wish to cancel the free trial within the 14 days, you should log into your website, click on your name in the right upper corner > Site Settings > My purchases.
Quote:

Ancestry DNA sale page DNA $59 $40 off - Health, normally $179, $50 off, sale $129. Health is not available in NY, NJ, or RI.
*Offers end 17 Aug 2020

Before buying Ancestry health, read the review by PA2UK AncestryHealth Results are in!

When I click buy DNA test, it leads me to a world explorer sale

Quote:
World Explorer Special offer
Go beyond your DNA.
Uncover your whole family story with a World Explorer Membership.

Access the entire family history record collection on Ancestry® with a 3-month World Explorer membership.
Only $1* for first 3 months,
renews to a 3-month plan
Quote:
*Offers end 17 Aug 2020. The tests offered by AncestryHealth® are physician-ordered and are not diagnostic. The tests are not reviewed or approved by the FDA and are not available in NY, NJ, or RI.
Ancestry Health post by PA2UK to go to the thread, click the arrow next to PA2UK's name in the quote below

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
My AncestryHealth Core results are in... unsurprisingly, there's not many reports yet (only 13) but of course if they're really sticking to this subscription idea, it means my results will stay this way unless I subscribe, which I won't because no other company requires that.

https://genealogical-musings.blogspo...ts-are-in.html

Definitely not worth the extra $49.

FTDNA has had a price drop for Y-DNA. It used to be close to $200, looks like it is now $119 for Y-37; $249 for Y-111 and $449 for Big Y-700. mtDNA which isn't much help in genealogy is now $159. Autosomal (family finder) is $79

Old 11-02-2020, 01:30 PM

Ancestry is on sale for $59 for the holidays. Email just came.

Old 02-14-2021, 12:21 PM
bjh

Newspapers.com free to unpaid registered users through Monday at midnight.

Old 05-28-2021, 07:23 PM
bjh

Fold3 free military records this Memorial Day through Monday, May 31st.

https://go.fold3.com/freeaccess

Old 09-02-2021, 12:34 PM
bjh

Free access to labor related collections on ancestry.com this holiday weekend (with a free sign on if you don't already have one).

Search here:
https://www.ancestry.com/cs/laborday

List of available collections:
https://www.ancestry.com/search/cate.../us_labor_day/

Enjoy.

Old 11-26-2021, 06:52 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,334,337 times
Ancestry is having their annual 50% off all of their gift memberships for Black Friday/Cyber Monday, I think you can even gift the membership to yourself!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy