Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2016, 08:56 PM

28 posts, read 36,324 times

Advertisements

I have several old photos of people and do not know who they are. I'm guessing they are from the early 1900's. They were given to my mother by her sister and neither one of them recognized any of the people. Some of them were taken by photographers in Nebraska. I believe most of the photos are of people from Nebraska or South Dakota. If these were my ancestors in the photos, I would want these photos, so I would like to be able to locate someone who knows the people in the photos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2016, 12:06 AM

37,108 posts, read 41,277,178 times
You can submit them as mysteries here:

Free genealogy family history photo search by surname - Dead Fred .com

Old 12-31-2016, 12:44 AM

18,528 posts, read 18,757,013 times
Would be interesting to see them..

Old 12-31-2016, 08:22 AM

4,993 posts, read 5,292,680 times
You may also check with the historical societies or local libraries if you know which counties the pictures may have come from. I came across a picture of my gggg grandparents on Ancestry the other day that had been identified in that manner.

Old 12-31-2016, 01:23 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,533,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDGBMG View Post
I have several old photos of people and do not know who they are. I'm guessing they are from the early 1900's. They were given to my mother by her sister and neither one of them recognized any of the people. Some of them were taken by photographers in Nebraska. I believe most of the photos are of people from Nebraska or South Dakota. If these were my ancestors in the photos, I would want these photos, so I would like to be able to locate someone who knows the people in the photos.
In our family the best collections of old photos are of family members who lived a great distance from the main family body. They seem to have had portraits taken at regular intervals & shipped home.

I would guess that those people will turn out to be relatives of your sister's husband. Unless your sister was the recipient of your grandparents' and or great aunt/uncle's photo collection.

If you do find a descendent to give them to, be certain to scan & save & print copies in case another relative comes forward later on. I can not guess how many "one ofs" have been lost within my own family when no one thought to duplicate.

Old 01-04-2017, 03:09 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times
Just wanted to state I hope you find out who they are. I have a whole picture book that I got from my mom, it was her grandmother's that has all these great pictures in them, some professional, some post cards, and a lot of party photos probably taken by my great grandfather based on the clothing and me recognizing some of the people in the photos. The older ones I think are my great grandfather's family. Like historyfan mentioned, I've found that many times distant relatives sent back pictures/portraits of themselves to our family. The post card ones have notes on them about when the picture was taken like "Do you like this one?" and talking about a dress or a suit that someone is wearing in the picture, but never mentions the name of the people lol!

The oldest member in my family on this line doesn't know who the people are in the book either unfortunately. Many of them look like my great grandfather, like they are cousins or uncles or aunts or something. A couple of them look like his wife as they have very distinct features in regards to their eyes and shape of the ears. But I'm at a loss and I get upset about not knowing who these people are. I think they are from family members who lived in TN or KY in the late 1800s and early 1900s as my great grandfather was from TN originally and his family later moved to Calloway County, KY when he was a toddler. He moved to Ohio when he was a teen but I know via my research that there were quite a few family members still in KY through the 1960s where I lose track of them. I'm always hoping of the descendants will find me online and I'll discover a 100 year old cousin who remembers these people lol.

Old 01-04-2017, 03:45 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,533,648 times
If you can find a portrait studio logo or name, sometimes you can find the history of operation & locations. Once you have a location you can search census records for known last names of your family.

Old 01-06-2017, 08:10 AM

23,867 posts, read 33,568,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
In our family the best collections of old photos are of family members who lived a great distance from the main family body. They seem to have had portraits taken at regular intervals & shipped home.

I would guess that those people will turn out to be relatives of your sister's husband. Unless your sister was the recipient of your grandparents' and or great aunt/uncle's photo collection.

If you do find a descendent to give them to, be certain to scan & save & print copies in case another relative comes forward later on. I can not guess how many "one ofs" have been lost within my own family when no one thought to duplicate.
I think they're most likely relatives that the grandparents passed to the OP's mother's sister since neither knew who they were.

It's always a good idea to scan any old photos in case they get lost or damaged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDGBMG View Post
Hope you figure out who they were. Have you done a family tree with relatives in that area? If not, that would the place to start

Old 01-06-2017, 08:16 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
If you can find a portrait studio logo or name, sometimes you can find the history of operation & locations. Once you have a location you can search census records for known last names of your family.
I'll look at them again and look up the studio. Duh don't know why I didn't do that .

Ironically, I have been trying to find out who two children are on a photo that is pretty famous in my area and which has been featured on some documentaries. It is below. The picture was taken in the 1890s in Toledo, OH my hometown. There were about 1200 black people in Toledo at that time, so a very small population and I've discovered quite a few of them are related to me in some way since my family moved to the area in the 1860s (there were about 500 black people at that time so a very small amount of people). The photographer is a known studio but no one knows the names of the children. They look like some of my family members and I'm planning on doing some research to see if research has already been done of these kids to see who they are. If not, I'm going to take a stab at it and hope I can identify them and it would be great if they are distant relatives! The photo is labeled "It's Cold Outside!" The title is very appropriate on todays date lol.

Old 01-06-2017, 08:48 AM

23,867 posts, read 33,568,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I'll look at them again and look up the studio. Duh don't know why I didn't do that .

Ironically, I have been trying to find out who two children are on a photo that is pretty famous in my area and which has been featured on some documentaries. It is below. The picture was taken in the 1890s in Toledo, OH my hometown. There were about 1200 black people in Toledo at that time, so a very small population and I've discovered quite a few of them are related to me in some way since my family moved to the area in the 1860s (there were about 500 black people at that time so a very small amount of people). The photographer is a known studio but no one knows the names of the children. They look like some of my family members and I'm planning on doing some research to see if research has already been done of these kids to see who they are. If not, I'm going to take a stab at it and hope I can identify them and it would be great if they are distant relatives! The photo is labeled "It's Cold Outside!" The title is very appropriate on todays date lol.
What a gem!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy