Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2017, 06:32 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,387,658 times

Advertisements

I have been working on family trees for 16 years. I really really liked Picasa !! When I switched to Google Photos I lost all the text data I had placed on each photo. Basically all the photos I had collected over the years (just short of 1000) are no longer captioned and file names are now just long numbers.

I have so many duplicates up to 4 per photo in my Picasa, Google+, Windows Photos, One Drive, Google Drive. I only want Picasa. AND somehow my computer is uploading pictures from websites that I did not "save image as" and they are being saved too in all of the other active photo editors. I don't know where they are coming from.

I removed the website photos but they just reappeared with new file names (politicians, celebrities, etc).
The reorganizing I did after all of the kefuffle was lost again.
Using the duplicate photo finder does not work if the file names are different from each other.

How do I stop all of these other photo editors? How do I get control of my organization?

Does anyone know a place where I can hire someone to help me with this like an assistant?

I am totally overwhelmed and don't want to start adding new information to my Ukrainian family tree.
I discovered relatives there who have been sending me long lost family photos and I feel helpless with the photo dis-organization.

Any suggestions, help? I am at my wits end. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2017, 05:36 PM

1 posts, read 5,128 times
Hi Kitty61,

Just today I learned about an organization for professional photo organizers! Here's the link to find one in your area. They can also work via remote computer access, if there is no one near you locally. Check it out:

Association of Personal Photo Organizers

Hope this helps!
Lisa

Old 01-05-2017, 10:41 AM

23,867 posts, read 33,561,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
I have been working on family trees for 16 years. I really really liked Picasa !! When I switched to Google Photos I lost all the text data I had placed on each photo. Basically all the photos I had collected over the years (just short of 1000) are no longer captioned and file names are now just long numbers.

I have so many duplicates up to 4 per photo in my Picasa, Google+, Windows Photos, One Drive, Google Drive. I only want Picasa. AND somehow my computer is uploading pictures from websites that I did not "save image as" and they are being saved too in all of the other active photo editors. I don't know where they are coming from.

I removed the website photos but they just reappeared with new file names (politicians, celebrities, etc).
The reorganizing I did after all of the kefuffle was lost again.
Using the duplicate photo finder does not work if the file names are different from each other.

How do I stop all of these other photo editors? How do I get control of my organization?

Does anyone know a place where I can hire someone to help me with this like an assistant?

I am totally overwhelmed and don't want to start adding new information to my Ukrainian family tree.
I discovered relatives there who have been sending me long lost family photos and I feel helpless with the photo dis-organization.

Any suggestions, help? I am at my wits end. Thanks in advance.

Sounds like you have a mess. Where do you store your photos? Are they in "my pictures" in folders or are they else where? When you say Picasa do you mean the photo program or online or both? You need to start at the root (where they are stored) and not in the photo programs.

Normally with photos, I rename them with date and subject, say a photo of my daughter at a party would be named 1052017DaughterParty. I don't use spaces, always cap the 1st letter of every new word. From there, I have a folder on a spare hard drive that has different subject, one for Christmas where I'll make folders for every year. Family pics can get hairy, if the kids have pics on FB, I'll save them in their own folder for each kid. I have a folder called family where I make new folders for various family pics. Each group of friends and family that we have also have their own folder where I have their last name, then photos of them go in there.

Old 02-15-2021, 04:23 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,387,658 times
I have thousands. For some reason there are 3-7 copies of each picture but I cannot clean out duplicates using software because they all have a different IMG#. It's about 15 years worth of scanning old time photos.
I went through them all at one point and captioned them and named the IMG and deleted the duplicates.
BUT somehow duplicates appeared again and I gave up because I don't know how to prevent it and it just got too frustrating to continue. I just live with it.

Old 02-16-2021, 05:50 AM

9,459 posts, read 5,221,264 times
I keep hearing advertisements for "Legacy Box." They will digitize photos, videos, etc.....You might think about that but keep your favorites in a hard copy.

Old 02-16-2021, 08:36 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,877,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post

I have so many duplicates up to 4 per photo in my Picasa, Google+, Windows Photos, One Drive, Google Drive.
It sounds like you've set it up to sync with all these clouds, and if any of them are changing the file names during upload, it means your computer doesn't register them as the same file. As a result, it downloads duplicate photos with different file names, the computer thinks they are different files, so it then uploads those duplicates to all the other clouds you have set up, and it potentially just keeps doing that again and again.

Try unsyncing Picasa from all the cloud options. Delete all duplicates. Then choose ONE cloud option to back it up to.

Old 02-16-2021, 11:31 AM

16,086 posts, read 10,747,693 times
I have a photo album disaster looming on the horizon. I have photos in 6-7 albums that reach back to the early 1900s. They are interesting to look at but I have no clue who the people are except in maybe a third of the pictures. My wife died and I have her family photos. Looking at my own family pictures, I wonder why we took them at the time. I have scanned a couple dozen that I think are representative of the family or otherwise significant. My daughter is a museum photo archivist and people are always offering to donate their albums but she won't accept them unless they are historically or culturally important or tell a story of some sort.

Old 02-17-2021, 01:46 PM

7,680 posts, read 5,529,153 times
According to Google:

“Picasa is a discontinued, cross-platform image organizer and image viewer for organizing and editing digital photos, integrated with a now defunct photo-sharing website, originally created by a company named Lifescape in 2002.”

Quote:
After retiring Picasa from further development in 2016, Google announced in March that the desktop photo-editing program would no longer work to upload or download photos, or manage online albums.

Old 02-17-2021, 01:59 PM

7,680 posts, read 5,529,153 times
I treat family photos and genealogy-related (more distant relatives) differently.

I upload genealogy-related photos to my tree on Ancestry and also upload them to the community tree on Family Search. The photos are easily found if I want to view them as they are attached to individuals at both sites. I don’t keep copies anywhere else unless the photo is particularly significant to me. That cuts down clutter.

Old 02-18-2021, 08:16 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,269,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
I have a photo album disaster looming on the horizon. I have photos in 6-7 albums that reach back to the early 1900s. They are interesting to look at but I have no clue who the people are except in maybe a third of the pictures. My wife died and I have her family photos. Looking at my own family pictures, I wonder why we took them at the time. I have scanned a couple dozen that I think are representative of the family or otherwise significant. My daughter is a museum photo archivist and people are always offering to donate their albums but she won't accept them unless they are historically or culturally important or tell a story of some sort.
Oh I know that feeling!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy