Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2017, 08:26 AM

2,614 posts, read 5,828,334 times

Advertisements

Just a heads up for anyone out there who uses Family Tree Maker software and syncs it to an Ancestry.com tree....

The new owners of FTM software (MacKiev) are rolling out a 2017 version that includes new syncing technology. The old version will continue to work fine on your computer, but somewhat obscure in their announcement is the fact that FTM 2014 and earlier versions will no longer sync to Ancestry.com trees after Weds, 3/29. Probably not a bad thing because the old technology was buggy, but if you wanna play, you gotta pay. Still, it's the first time they've charged for an update since bailing out Ancestry last year by taking over the software that Ancestry couldn't support, so it's hard to complain too loudly.

From their FAQ:
-------
Q: How can I continue to connect FTM to Ancestry?
A: You will need to upgrade to FTM 2017. After March 29, 2017 Ancestry will shut off the their TreeSync technology and we will together deploy MacKiev's new FamilySync technology over the following two days. FamilySync, which is built into FTM 2017, will allow you to continue syncing with your Ancestry trees, use Ancestry Search and get Ancestry Hints. These functions will no longer work in older FTM editions after March 29th.

Last edited by PawleysDude; 03-25-2017 at 08:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2017, 09:21 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,877,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PawleysDude View Post
Just a heads up for anyone out there who uses Family Tree Maker software and syncs it to an Ancestry.com tree....

The new owners of FTM software (MacKiev) are rolling out a 2017 version that includes new syncing technology. The old version will continue to work fine on your computer, but somewhat obscure in their announcement is the fact that FTM 2014 and earlier versions will no longer sync to Ancestry.com trees after Weds, 3/29. Probably not a bad thing because the old technology was buggy, but if you wanna play, you gotta pay. Still, it's the first time they've charged for an update since bailing out Ancestry last year by taking over the software that Ancestry couldn't support, so it's hard to complain too loudly.

From their FAQ:
-------
Q: How can I continue to connect FTM to Ancestry?
A: You will need to upgrade to FTM 2017. After March 29, 2017 Ancestry will shut off the their TreeSync technology and we will together deploy MacKiev's new FamilySync technology over the following two days. FamilySync, which is built into FTM 2017, will allow you to continue syncing with your Ancestry trees, use Ancestry Search and get Ancestry Hints. These functions will no longer work in older FTM editions after March 29th.
If you bought Mackiev's 2014.1 version then the upgrade to 2017 will be free, and those with older version do get a discount ($39.95 versus the full price of $79.95). And if you order it now, you'll get a special pre-order price of $29.95. So a very good deal, if you ask me.

This is from the email I received:

First question — what's it cost? Well, it depends. First of all we wanted to say thank you to all those who took a chance on us by buying a MacKiev edition during our first year as publisher. If you PAID for a copy of FTM 2014.1 or Mac 3.1 (both introduced in March 2016), your copy of FTM 2017 is FREE and you will be notified by email when yours is available. In case you're not sure whether you purchased a copy from us or not, we've set up a verification center so you can find out.

For the rest of you who own an older edition of Family Tree Maker, if you are ready to jump on in, now's the time to do it. For just one week, we are offering a pre-order price of $29.95, just until the launch on March 31st. After that it will be $39.95 for upgrades for a limited time. Click here to pre-order now! The full price, which is only for newcomers, is $79.95. All installers of FTM 2017 now contain a choice of editions — US, Canadian, UK and Australian so you don't need to worry about what edition you are getting.

Old 03-25-2017, 09:41 AM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
we've set up a verification center so you can find out.

Where? I guess on their website?

I bought whatever they had last year when people were in a panic about it being discontinued but never had a chance to use it. Now I can't FIND it!

So this means that if we can verify that we purchased it last year, we get a new one free? Free is good.

Old 03-25-2017, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
we've set up a verification center so you can find out.

Where? I guess on their website?
Verification Center

Quote:
I bought whatever they had last year when people were in a panic about it being discontinued but never had a chance to use it. Now I can't FIND it!

So this means that if we can verify that we purchased it last year, we get a new one free? Free is good.
If you purchased it in or any time after March of last year (including the beginning of this year) then yes, it's free. If you bought it before Mackiev took over and started selling it in March 2016, then you are only eligible for the discount, and I would use the pre-order discount asap too: Special offer for Family Tree Maker users

Old 03-25-2017, 10:43 AM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Verification Center

If you purchased it in or any time after March of last year (including the beginning of this year) then yes, it's free. If you bought it before Mackiev took over and started selling it in March 2016, then you are only eligible for the discount, and I would use the pre-order discount asap too: Special offer for Family Tree Maker users
Thanks. It can't find me. I did buy it but never even opened it and, when I wanted it, I couldn't find it.
It says you need to also have signed in or something. But it says I can get it for $39.95 plus shipping. Or download it now and get it later for free.

This would be great to have.

Old 03-25-2017, 11:21 AM

2,614 posts, read 5,828,334 times
Quote:
If you bought Mackiev's 2014.1 version then the upgrade to 2017 will be free, and those with older version do get a discount ($39.95 versus the full price of $79.95). And if you order it now, you'll get a special pre-order price of $29.95. So a very good deal, if you ask me.
I agree entirely. I've used FTM and synced it with an Ancestry tree for about 4 years and have been very pleased. It's had a few bugs but no more than any software that runs a database and syncs to a cloud version. I know others who have experienced more problems, but for me it's been good. I pre-ordered this morning. I'd prefer to wait a couple months before updating, just to see what bugs the roll-out uncovers, but I hate to go that long without being able to sync to Ancestry.

It's important to make a distinction between having actually purchased FTM 2014.1 from MacKiev, and just updating the old Ancestry FTM 2014. MacKiev offered the 2014.1 update to 2014 users at no cost, but those (like me) who installed the free 2014.1 update do not qualify for a free download of 2017. Still, as you say, a good deal.

Old 03-28-2017, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anngrant View Post
I'm a total novice to genealogy. I'm wondering where to begin with researching my family history. Is Family Tree Maker worth trying? I have just discovered about family tree builders. I have read that Myheritage allows photographs to be incorporated and has worldwide genealogy community, helping its users link to relatives overseas.
Any family tree software should include the ability to add images to your tree. MyHertiage does have a community, but you need a subscription to upload a tree with more than (I think) 250 individuals. A community is not necessarily what you need to build your tree either, you need access to records - which MyHeritage do have, but Ancestry.com has a bigger database. FamilySearch.org also has a good database and best of all, is free. Family Tree Maker is worth it if you have an Ancestry.com account/tree as well, since it syncs with your Ancestry.com tree.

Old 04-07-2017, 11:31 AM

6,357 posts, read 7,768,830 times
Quote:
...And if you order it now, you'll get a special pre-order price of $29.95...
NOTE: Just stumbled upon this thread and placed an order just now, (April 7th, ~10:30 PDT). The pre-order download-version price of $30 is still good. The order confirmation page also gives a link to a FTM 2014.1 Windows (build 510) and FTM Mac 3.1 (build 950) versions for immediate download, (just under 600MB each).

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 04-07-2017, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
NOTE: Just stumbled upon this thread and placed an order just now, (April 7th, ~10:30 PDT). The pre-order download-version price of $30 is still good. The order confirmation page also gives a link to a FTM 2014.1 Windows (build 510) and FTM Mac 3.1 (build 950) versions for immediate download, (just under 600MB each).

Yes, they've extended the pre-order price because they've pushed the release of 2017 back due to problems with the sync. Until 2017 is released, the pre-order price will still be available.

Old 04-07-2017, 05:54 PM

4,865 posts, read 4,804,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anngrant View Post
I'm a total novice to genealogy. I'm wondering where to begin with researching my family history. Is Family Tree Maker worth trying? I have just discovered about family tree builders. I have read that Myheritage allows photographs to be incorporated and has worldwide genealogy community, helping its users link to relatives overseas.
I agree with PA2UK, if you are going to use Ancestry to conduct your search, then it is very helpful to have a tree program that can sync your on line tree with your computer (that should include downloading any images and documents attached to your Ancestry tree to your computer tree). Previously, Family Tree Maker had been the only software that could do that. Mackiev bought that program from Ancestry and we are awaiting completion of the transition (including sync).

Roots Magic, another tree program (that I have not used but gets good reviews) is also supposed to working on a sync with Ancestry. Their capability may depend on Mackiev's successful tests. You could check their web site.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy