Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2017, 05:04 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,436,522 times

Advertisements

Do you have themes in your various lines that you have noticed?

I have a few.

One line that is decimated by Type 1 Diabetes. Easy enough to see in the death certs of the early twentieth century before insulin was available and seems to be the likely culprit of all the early deaths prior to that. There is also an inordinate amount of alcoholism and suicide in this line. Not sure if that is related to the diabetes.

Another line has been in court over land/estates for at least 4 generations including my own mother lol. They are a large land owning family, prominent in their communities and they go to court shamelessly with the most outlandish charges against each other. One family where the older children charged the younger children were illegitimate and in my mother's case that the cousin/aunt hired crooked lawyers/doctors to falsely have an old mentally incompetent aunt redo her will. I have also seen distant cousins of this line claim the same........that their relatives were always in court over land/estates.

I have other examples and will add them later. But, I was just curious if others have these "themes" across generations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2017, 08:23 PM

834 posts, read 743,848 times
That's interesting.

None really here, minus schizophrenia on my mom's side. Her, my grandfather, my great grandmother, and my mom's first cousin, and a second cousin. The great grandmother who, "started," it had one colonial English line & a father who came from The Isle of Man. Maybe they're more inbred there, idk.

Old 07-01-2017, 08:33 PM

3,169 posts, read 5,162,560 times
Yep. Twins, twins, twins! And on both sides.

GI issues that I have unfortunately inherited from my father's family.

Land fights that are like the local small town West Bank. I don't want to get into all.

Both of my parents were seemingly anti-religious but at the same time religious. I grew up with a great deal of Eastern religious influences in my life, and my parents dabbled in a few different religious ideologies. Very strange behavior for black people in the south.

On a whole I had Buddha statues, Confucius, and such along side pictures of "White Jesus" images growing up, lol.

Old 07-01-2017, 09:36 PM

4,991 posts, read 5,284,701 times
There are some health issues that run through the lines.

Found out moonshine crops up in one form or another in one line. They had the ancestor preachers that preached against the ancestors who made it, the ones who were arrested for it and the ones who were run out of town for it.

My newspapers subscription was running out so I ran a whole bunch of names through it to see what I could find. Turns out great grandma and her siblings apparently liked the bad boys. Every single male... brother or husband/brother in law in that generation made the newspaper and not in a positive way. I had no idea about that and neither did the relatives I share my research with. Most of this stuff was 100 years ago. It was some interesting reading.

Old 07-01-2017, 10:01 PM

16,074 posts, read 10,732,474 times
TB was the family affliction and killed most of the family before they reached 40 back around 1880-1910. We always have a black sheep that runs off on their own leaving the family behind. Families are more mobile now so it isn't such a big thing anymore.

Old 07-01-2017, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
There are some health issues that run through the lines.

Found out moonshine crops up in one form or another in one line. They had the ancestor preachers that preached against the ancestors who made it, the ones who were arrested for it and the ones who were run out of town for it.

My newspapers subscription was running out so I ran a whole bunch of names through it to see what I could find. Turns out great grandma and her siblings apparently liked the bad boys. Every single male... brother or husband/brother in law in that generation made the newspaper and not in a positive way. I had no idea about that and neither did the relatives I share my research with. Most of this stuff was 100 years ago. It was some interesting reading.
LOL.......I have a line of what I call the bad boys as well.

Great grandfather who was shot by an employee who went postal after he fired him. Of course, the story is he was quite the SOB himself.

His son my grandfather was a functional alcoholic. On a family trip he lined all the kids up at gun point!!!! According to my father, he broke the mood by claiming he needed to pee and everyone laughed. Not funny!!

My uncle in this line stole a car and accidentally kidnapped a child at the same time, not realizing the child was in the back seat. To his credit he returned the car/child to where he took it from and was then arrested lol, but still.

My other uncle was either mugged or fell into a creek bed and died after hitting his head while drunk.

Bunch of bad boys and their cousins were bad boys as well..........car accidents while driving drunk, etc.

Old 07-02-2017, 06:59 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,770,552 times
Heart disease is a common thread or theme in my family. And alcohol abuse has run rampant in recent generations. Sadly it's a safe bet that the addiction problem goes way back in my family tree.

I'm not sure about more refined or other themes or threads. I look forward to seeing what others share here.

Old 07-02-2017, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abcdefg567 View Post
That's interesting.

None really here, minus schizophrenia on my mom's side. Her, my grandfather, my great grandmother, and my mom's first cousin, and a second cousin. The great grandmother who, "started," it had one colonial English line & a father who came from The Isle of Man. Maybe they're more inbred there, idk.
That's unfortunate. Interesting re the inbred thing.

I have a couple of lines of cousin marriages. In fact one 4th grandfather who is my grandfather three different ways due to cousin marriages.

Interestingly, despite the stereotypes of cousin marriages, these are some of the hardiest, long lived lines in my tree.

They are among the longest lived, most successful and even most attractive lol of my family lines.

Mostly they are not first cousin marriages, but second or first once/twice removed marriages, so maybe that is what makes the difference.

Old 07-03-2017, 04:38 PM

834 posts, read 743,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
That's unfortunate. Interesting re the inbred thing.

I have a couple of lines of cousin marriages. In fact one 4th grandfather who is my grandfather three different ways due to cousin marriages.

Interestingly, despite the stereotypes of cousin marriages, these are some of the hardiest, long lived lines in my tree.

They are among the longest lived, most successful and even most attractive lol of my family lines.

Mostly they are not first cousin marriages, but second or first once/twice removed marriages, so maybe that is what makes the difference.
Ha, maybe they got the, "good," genes.

Old 07-03-2017, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abcdefg567 View Post
Ha, maybe they got the, "good," genes.
Seems like they did lol!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy