Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 01:19 PM

12 posts, read 11,669 times

Advertisements

Whether that be happiness , sadness or laughter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2017, 01:57 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,245,163 times
When I found out my 3rd great grandfather died a POW in the Civil War, in Camp Millen GA. 3 days before the camp was liberated. Buried in an unmarked grave.

Gutted me for a month....

Last edited by Tallysmom; 07-21-2017 at 06:15 PM..

Old 07-21-2017, 02:07 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,975,319 times
Does frustration count as emotional?

I was so frustrated when I found six of my ancestors all named John Brown living in the same house...fathers, sons, uncles, cousins?? Who the hell are you people?? To make it worse, three of them had apparently married three women from the same Smith family. I wanted to kick that house down.

But I got over it.

Old 07-21-2017, 02:50 PM

3,169 posts, read 5,162,269 times
Seeing pictures of the slaveholders to my ancestors.

Old 07-21-2017, 03:06 PM

894 posts, read 586,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
Does frustration count as emotional?

I was so frustrated when I found six of my ancestors all named John Brown living in the same house...fathers, sons, uncles, cousins?? Who the hell are you people?? To make it worse, three of them had apparently married three women from the same Smith family. I wanted to kick that house down.

But I got over it.
Lol! Thanks for the laugh! I sure needed it today.

Old 07-21-2017, 03:16 PM

4,991 posts, read 5,283,788 times
Reading my great grandfather's last two letters home to my great grandmother before he was killed. There was so much sadness and desperation and poverty in those letters. I think he wanted to right some wrongs and never got the chance. He died before he had grandchildren so most people didn't talk about him. I got to see a little of his personality. It's what made me really sympathize with him even though he had made a lot of mistakes.

Old 07-21-2017, 03:41 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,335,141 times
My gx4 grandfather talking about his daughter dying in his arms in his journal and the evening walks they use to go on.

Reading some slave stories too.

Also all the dreams of my ancestors I've had.

Old 07-21-2017, 05:37 PM

14,768 posts, read 8,097,050 times
So many....I have felt such joy,sorrow and even anger sometimes.

My fifth Great Uncle and his wife lost four children within four months of each other, and they are all buried together.

Also, I had a Great Uncle, many generations back who married a Native American Woman, they spent over fifty years together, and when she died the Church would not let her children bury her next to her husband and Love of all those years....so they had to bury her on outside of fence of the Church.

The stories of War, Slavery and where the Female Ancestors were treated like little more than cattle.

I had a great Aunt many generations back that I suspect married and was murdered by a serial killer.
(Maybe I watch too much dateline and 48 hours though,lol) He married multiple times and all the wifes died early deaths
in their twenties....maybe a coincident....it seems his kids cut off all contact with him though...

My Mother's cousin was murdered by her husband (they never knew each other though....but it was a shock to read the
newspaper articles.

My Mom also had another Cousin who was a US Deputy Marshall, who was murdered.

The way my Mom and Grandmother talked I figured their families had just gotten off the boat from Ireland. Their families have been here since way before the American Revolution and were way more British than Irish.

I had a great Uncle from way back who was imprisoned and beheaded in the Tower of London.

I had an ancestor, who was sixteen and caught stealing a coat in London, (I do hate thieves....but he was a child) who was
sentenced to be an indentured slave and sent to the America's. (As upsetting as the start of this was....in the end he won
favor with the man he was indentured to, married into the family and became a wealthy Plantation owner....When the
War for Independence came he was too elderly to fight, but donated so much money to help the cause of the American
Revolution that they bestowed a special award to him.

Since our family was in America for such a long time, I had a lot of Ancestors who fought in the American Revolution.
It's fascinating to read about them and what happened, but it turned out many of them were little more than children
when they fought in the war. My one Fifth Great Grandfather fought in the war,along with three of his sons! My Mom's family has had ancestors who have fought in every war America has ever had as far back as I can trace. (Not so sure about recent times, those records are harder to come by, if they belong to a living person.)

My Mother's family is a trip (My Dad's family were from Germany, were Catholic and married once had a dozen kids and stayed in the same place after Immigrating to America). My Moms family on the other hand, had so much divorce that it is mind blowing at times..and all their husbands and wives had married multiple times....it makes genealogy colorful though!

There have been others....stories so sad that I cried, too many to go into in one post.

Old 07-21-2017, 06:04 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,949,008 times
Reading my direct ancestors' bills of sale for parcels of land, livestock, and "property" .

Old 07-21-2017, 06:22 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,573,187 times
I was very proud to discover that my 3rd GGfather was responsible for starting the first school in their town and hiring the first teacher. Education has always been important on that side, so I wasn't surprised.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy