Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2018, 10:10 PM

2,852 posts, read 6,485,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
No, mtDNA does not provide an ethnicity report (admixture) with percentages. The "Ancestral Origins" in mtDNA results are just percentages of how many of your mtDNA matches have a direct maternal lineage from those places, it's not an ethnicity report for yourself, nor does it mean you have any ancestry in those places. It's not the same as an ethnicity report/admixture, at all. It wouldn't be possible to get an ethnicity report/admixture from mtDNA to begin with, because mtDNA is only from the direct maternal line (ie, your mother's mother's mother's mother, etc), it's not your whole background.
Just had a look and you are correct, LOL! Shows how often I bother to check my mtDNA reports and matches. Seems almost like a waste of money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2018, 02:48 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
Mexico actually has a very diverse population. There were many waves of Europeans who moved to Central America and settled there.

None of your relatives' ethnicity regions seem out of the ordinary for someone who is Mexican IMO.

One also has to remember that Europeans are oftentimes "mixed" populations, especially the Spaniards so some of her Iberian peninsula ancestors may have come from Italy/Greece region or even N. Africa.

In some parts of Mexico, African ancestry is also not uncommon since Mexico did have a slave population at one point and some of the sailors who came to S. America were of African ancestry as well.

Old 05-12-2018, 05:09 PM

331 posts, read 207,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmas View Post
My Grandma took the DNA test and got her results. A little background- my Grandma is full Mexican (both her parents are from Mexico), but we always figured she was a mix of Native American and Spaniard. In her results she had both Native American (from Mexico) and Iberian Peninsula DNA. Not shocking. But in addition, she had 8% South Asian (India, Pakistan, etc) and 20% Southern European (Italy/Greece) along with numerous trace regions.

So I guess my question is, how common is Italian/Greek ancestry in Mexico? Same with South Asian? Was there a time when India (or other neighboring countries) invaded Spain and settled there? Was there also a time when Italy or Greece may have invaded Spain, or was it common for a lot of them to immigrate directly to Mexico? I'm just curious on what the explanation could be on why she has this DNA even though her family was in Mexico for generations. This has me very intrigued.
Very common in the North( Guadalajara, Jalisco) . I’m half and mixed with substantial amounts of Sardinian and Italian, in addition to Iberian. My dad (Mexican parents) confirmed the Italian was from his side, as he showed more Italian than me. A lot of Italians came to Latin American and latinized their last names.

Most Italians I meet assume I am one too lol. I always found it odd, but not anymore.

Old 05-12-2018, 05:13 PM

331 posts, read 207,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Mexico actually has a very diverse population. There were many waves of Europeans who moved to Central America and settled there.

None of your relatives' ethnicity regions seem out of the ordinary for someone who is Mexican IMO.

One also has to remember that Europeans are oftentimes "mixed" populations, especially the Spaniards so some of her Iberian peninsula ancestors may have come from Italy/Greece region or even N. Africa.

In some parts of Mexico, African ancestry is also not uncommon since Mexico did have a slave population at one point and some of the sailors who came to S. America were of African ancestry as well.
Agree. My great grandfather was Austrian. He moved to Mexico and married my grandmother. Although my dna testing reveals Scandinavian. I asssume some Austrians were from that area originally.

Old 05-12-2018, 06:26 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,898,554 times
Quote:
My Grandma took the DNA test and got her results. A little background- my Grandma is full Mexican (both her parents are from Mexico), but we always figured she was a mix of Native American and Spaniard. In her results she had both Native American (from Mexico) and Iberian Peninsula DNA. Not shocking. But in addition, she had 8% South Asian (India, Pakistan, etc) and 20% Southern European (Italy/Greece) along with numerous trace regions.

So I guess my question is, how common is Italian/Greek ancestry in Mexico? Same with South Asian? Was there a time when India (or other neighboring countries) invaded Spain and settled there? Was there also a time when Italy or Greece may have invaded Spain, or was it common for a lot of them to immigrate directly to Mexico? I'm just curious on what the explanation could be on why she has this DNA even though her family was in Mexico for generations. This has me very intrigued.
The 8% South Asian could be from gypsies from the Iberian peninsula they are of partial South Asian ancestry and have been on the Iberian peninsula since the 1500's I'm not as familiar with the colonial history of Spain but in Portugal for a period of time sometimes gypsies were rounded up and deported to colonial Brazil in part because they weren't considered citizens.

Old 05-12-2018, 07:04 PM

7,020 posts, read 11,310,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
The 8% South Asian could be from gypsies from the Iberian peninsula they are of partial South Asian ancestry and have been on the Iberian peninsula since the 1500's I'm not as familiar with the colonial history of Spain but in Portugal for a period of time sometimes gypsies were rounded up and deported to colonial Brazil in part because they weren't considered citizens.
I think this is good advice. If you are on GEDmatch, plug your mom's kit number into some of the PuntDNAL utilities that look for South Asian DNA. I have messed around with the kits of several Roma, and a mix of Indian, Southern European-like DNA, and NW European-like DNA is the general profile.

That said, I have no clue if your mom is part Roma or not, but I think the genetic mix you describe could be interpreted as such.

Old 05-12-2018, 09:32 PM

661 posts, read 880,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
Nope, as I said before. The South Asian is because the Philippines and Guam relationship to New Spain (today Mexico)
Wiki the Manila Galleon.

Old 05-13-2018, 12:45 AM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,898,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarknation View Post
Nope, as I said before. The South Asian is because the Philippines and Guam relationship to New Spain (today Mexico)
Wiki the Manila Galleon.
Filipinos don't cluster genetically with Asian Indians and Pakistanis they are different. Filipinos sometimes get very small amounts of south Asian estimates but I disagree regarding the Op's 8% South Asian being Filipino like I said it is a very tiny component estimated in some results, but where are the major components usually found in Filipinos like South East Asia. Sorry but I disagree. These are typical results from two different companies for Filipinos. I see percentages of 5%-10% South East Asian in some Iberians and Brazilians of partial gypsy ancestry it just makes more sense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEljQ8pzJnE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYH-G9xZY3c

Old 05-14-2018, 11:49 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Well...there was the actor Anthony Quinn, a Mexican-American with an Irish last name.

His grandfather was born in County Cork, Ireland and ended up in Mexico married to a Mexican woman. If you ever read Thomas Cahill's wonderful book, "How the Irish Saved Civilization", he mentions that Irish mercenaries often found work in places like Mexico and South America (the guy who won independence for Chile and became it's first premier was Bernardo O'Higgins.)

Old 05-14-2018, 01:45 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,274,252 times
Quote:

My mom had Irish and Italian along with Iberian Peninsula, native American, and north Africa
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy