Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2017, 06:43 PM

661 posts, read 881,340 times

Advertisements

Anyone know what is an "X-Match" at FTDNA?
I have several matches, they are 3rd or 4th cousins, but some are "x-match"
Does that means that they are related to me from my Mother's side?
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2017, 06:47 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,900,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarknation View Post
Anyone know what is an "X-Match" at FTDNA?
I have several matches, they are 3rd or 4th cousins, but some are "x-match"
Does that means that they are related to me from my Mother's side?
Yes if you are male.

Old 10-12-2017, 08:09 AM

5,038 posts, read 7,417,088 times
What they call "x-matches" at FTDNA are usually noise, too small to be useful. So no, it does not mean they are related on your mother's side necessarily. If the segment on the X chromosome is over 20 cM then it is probably a valid X match. Unlike 23andMe, FTDNA requires autosomal matching (chromosomes 1-22) and will not show you people who match you only on the X even if it is a large segment.

Old 10-12-2017, 10:13 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,881,804 times
An X-match is someone who shares DNA with you on your X chromosome. The X chromosome is one of the sex chromosomes - females get two X chromosomes, one from their father, one from their mother. Males get one X chromosome from their mother, and a Y chromosome from their father. This is why women can't take the Y-DNA test, because they have no Y chromosome. So for men, sharing DNA on the X chromosome DOES mean your shared ancestors is on your mother's side. For women, it could be either side, but it does narrow down the possible branches. Because men only have X-DNA from their mother, it means the X-DNA can't pass through more than one generation of males in a row. I've attached charts showing where X-DNA comes from for males and females.

Due to the fact that there are fewer ancestors contributing to X-DNA, it means there is less recombination on the X chromosome. Because of this, you can share more DNA on the X chromosome with someone than you might expect for your relationship degree, and it can fool you into thinking you are a closer match than you are. This is why it's not wise to use X-DNA to estimate your relationship degree with someone, and why sharing ONLY X-DNA with someone (and no autosomal DNA) may mean your shared ancestor is too far back to identify.
Attached Thumbnails
X-Match help please-xdna-female.jpg   X-Match help please-xdna-male.jpg  

Old 10-13-2017, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
So for men, sharing DNA on the X chromosome DOES mean your shared ancestors is on your mother's side.
In theory, yes, but many male customers have reported false matches on the X chromosome when the segments are not long, matches they have that their mother does not. According to one blogger:

"While the generally accepted threshold for autosomal DNA is about 7cM, for X DNA, there appears to be a much higher incidence of false matches at higher levels than the rest of the chromosomes, as documented by Philip Gammon as in his Match-Maker-Breaker tool. This appears to have to do with SNP density."

In FTDNA, they count as an "X-match" anyone who shares 1 cM or more on the X. Really misleading.

Old 10-14-2017, 05:46 PM

661 posts, read 881,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post

In FTDNA, they count as an "X-match" anyone who shares 1 cM or more on the X. Really misleading.
uhmmm not sure about that. I have my nephew at FTDNA, and he shares more than that with me, and he is an X-Match as well.

Old 10-15-2017, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarknation View Post
uhmmm not sure about that. I have my nephew at FTDNA, and he shares more than that with me, and he is an X-Match as well.
That's what I said: 1 cM OR MORE. So your nephew shares more.

In other words, they count as an X match people who have as little as 1 cM shared on the X. So a lot of those X matches are not valid because they are so small. The larger they are the more likely they are to be valid.

Old 10-15-2017, 03:52 PM

Quote:
In theory, yes, but many male customers have reported false matches on the X chromosome when the segments are not long, matches they have that their mother does not. According to one blogger:

"While the generally accepted threshold for autosomal DNA is about 7cM, for X DNA, there appears to be a much higher incidence of false matches at higher levels than the rest of the chromosomes, as documented by Philip Gammon as in his Match-Maker-Breaker tool. This appears to have to do with SNP density."

That doesn't mean the match is on their father's side though, it just means it's probably a false match/identical by state. Saying they're not necessarily a match on your mother's side is a little misleading because it would lead most people to believe it means they could be a match on their father's side, which for men, is not possible.

Old 10-15-2017, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
That doesn't mean the match is on their father's side though, it just means it's probably a false match/identical by state. Saying they're not necessarily a match on your mother's side is a little misleading because it would lead most people to believe it means they could be a match on their father's side, which for men, is not possible.
I'm not sure what you mean by "they." Yes, a match labeled as an "X-match" (the person, not the segment on the X) can be related on the paternal side or maternal side, because it is the segment on the autosomes (chromosomes 1-22) that qualifies the person as a match in Family Finder which could be from either side. I am male and have a segment of 3 cM on the X shared with my paternal first cousin once removed. It is noise.

Old 10-15-2017, 07:15 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure what you mean by "they."
The person you share DNA with on the X chromosome...

Quote:
Yes, a match labeled as an "X-match" (the person, not the segment on the X) can be related on the paternal side or maternal side, because it is the segment on the autosomes (chromosomes 1-22) that qualifies the person as a match in Family Finder which could be from either side. I am male and have a segment of 3 cM on the X shared with my paternal first cousin once removed. It is noise.
But that's not the point I was trying to make. Yes, the shared DNA on the autosomes can come from a different ancestor than the shared DNA on the X chromosome. But the shared X-DNA cannot come from a male's father. That was the point I was trying to make and I don't know why you're trying to pick it apart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy