Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2018, 12:25 AM

2,661 posts, read 5,468,261 times

Advertisements

When you go into your DNA Origins on the address bar type in /transition at the end with no space and then press enter. You should get a questionnaire and then you can view your update.

Most people are finding the update more accurate.

This will only work on people that have the preloaded update. Not everyone has this yet but for most people they do get the updated results.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2018, 08:15 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,428,248 times
Well, that was certainly interesting. Dumped all my Scandinavian links, except we have documentation of Swedish ancestors. Dumped the Swiss links, except we have documentation of Swiss ancestors.

Wonder what will change the next update?

Old 08-22-2018, 08:21 AM

6,999 posts, read 11,296,702 times
Hey, thanks, it worked for 2 accounts that I manage.

The "new me"

England, Wales & Northwestern Europe 50%
Decreased by 23%
Ireland and Scotland 26%
Increased by 26%
Germanic Europe 15%
Refined from:
Europe West 6%
European Jewish 9%
Decreased by 5%

This is more accurate, IMO, than the old version. I have a lot of Scottish and Scots-Irish ancestors. Also, the confusing trace regions, like "Iberian Peninsula" are gone.

It completely gooned up my FIL. Full-blooded Greek from the islands of Fourni and Ikaria.

Italy 50%
Refined from:
Europe South 68%
Greece and the Balkans 39%
Refined from:
Europe South 68%
Turkey and the Caucasus 11%
Refined from:
Caucasus 11%

Ancestry needs to read and incorporate this research into the new regions.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-017-01802-4

Island Greeks are a stronger genetic match to Southern Italians than to mainland Greeks, that does't mean they are "Italian." In this case, Ancestry.com will fail if they try to use modern ethnic definitions for "Europe South" as they do not match the genetic history of the populations of these places.

Old 08-22-2018, 09:49 AM

10,208 posts, read 17,862,571 times
If you click "Keep Update" it will permanently load the new results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Hey, thanks, it worked for 2 accounts that I manage.

The "new me"

England, Wales & Northwestern Europe 50%
Decreased by 23%
Ireland and Scotland 26%
Increased by 26%
Germanic Europe 15%
Refined from:
Europe West 6%
European Jewish 9%
Decreased by 5%

This is more accurate, IMO, than the old version. I have a lot of Scottish and Scots-Irish ancestors. Also, the confusing trace regions, like "Iberian Peninsula" are gone.

It completely gooned up my FIL. Full-blooded Greek from the islands of Fourni and Ikaria.

Italy 50%
Refined from:
Europe South 68%
Refined from:
Europe South 68%
Refined from:
Caucasus 11%
Considering Europe South used to be Italy and Greece combined, if you combine them in the new results, it's putting his Southern European results at 89%, which is higher and more therefore accurate than the previous 68% Europe South. Although Ancestry is trying to provide more breakdown, I think we still need to look at it on a broader level.

My results were even worse - I should be about 31% Italian, and in the old results, Ancestry gave me exactly 31% Europe South. With the update, they gave me only 12% Italy and even if you add up all the surrounding regions, (2% Spain, 2% Greece, 1% Portugal) it's still only 17%.

My grandfather's results are more accurate, but my mom's, like mine, are less.

It will be interesting to see when this is finally rolled out permanently to everyone and they update all the details so we can see just how much overlap there is among neighboring areas. I was really disappointed to see the category details no longer have the "genetic diversity" option showing the stats on how many natives to each region get results in what other regions. Hopefully they re-add it when it gets rolled out, but I'm also looking forward to seeing the updated average admixture chart: https://www.ancestry.com/cs/dna-help...gional-overlap

Old 08-22-2018, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
If you click "Keep Update" it will permanently load the new results.

Considering Europe South used to be Italy and Greece combined, if you combine them in the new results, it's putting his Southern European results at 89%, which is higher and more therefore accurate than the previous 68% Europe South. Although Ancestry is trying to provide more breakdown, I think we still need to look at it on a broader level.

My results were even worse - I should be about 31% Italian, and in the old results, Ancestry gave me exactly 31% Europe South. With the update, they gave me only 12% Italy and even if you add up all the surrounding regions, (2% Spain, 2% Greece, 1% Portugal) it's still only 17%.

My grandfather's results are more accurate, but my mom's, like mine, are less.

It will be interesting to see when this is finally rolled out permanently to everyone and they update all the details so we can see just how much overlap there is among neighboring areas. I was really disappointed to see the category details no longer have the "genetic diversity" option showing the stats on how many natives to each region get results in what other regions. Hopefully they re-add it when it gets rolled out, but I'm also looking forward to seeing the updated average admixture chart: https://www.ancestry.com/cs/dna-help...gional-overlap
Europe South has to stay at a broader level, unless they want to break it down by

- Northern Italy
- Southern Italy, Sicily, and the Greek Islands
- Mainland Greece and the Balkans.

I get what Ancestry is trying to do......create regions that match consumer's expectations (like an Italian wanting to see "Italy" in their results) but the genetics just don't line up that way. Ethnicities don't equal genetic communities!

PAUK, do you know how MyHeritage manages to separate Greece and Italy as different genetic regions? Do they use cousin matches to hedge their bets? I ask because in researching my wife's family, I have yet to see them make this mistake. Sure, some Greeks get small amounts of Italian, but not 50%......

Old 08-22-2018, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Europe South has to stay at a broader level, unless they want to break it down by

- Northern Italy
- Southern Italy, Sicily, and the Greek Islands
- Mainland Greece and the Balkans.
Well, LivingDNA basically tries to do just that, but it's not very accurate. Their breakdown is:

North Italy
Tuscany
South Italy
Sardinia
Aegean
West Balkans
East Balkans

However, my Italian background is all Southern Italian/Sicilian and I only really got results in North Italy and Tuscany. So again, not very accurate.

Quote:
PAUK, do you know how MyHeritage manages to separate Greece and Italy as different genetic regions?
You can upload your raw DNA there for free. But I don't think their breakdown is a secret or anything. Or do you mean that they manage to accurately separate them? Because I don't think they do. I have no Greek ancestry and at MyHeritage, I get 28.2% Greek and only 13.4% Italian. Sorry, I'm a little thrown by this question because I don't recall mentioning MyHeritage in this topic?

Quote:
Do they use cousin matches to hedge their bets? I ask because in researching my wife's family, I have yet to see them make this mistake. Sure, some Greeks get small amounts of Italian, but not 50%......
No, none of the DNA companies use cousin matches for ethnicity percentages (they are used for Genetic Communities, but those don't include percentages).

Old 08-22-2018, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Well, LivingDNA basically tries to do just that, but it's not very accurate. Their breakdown is:

North Italy
Tuscany
South Italy
Sardinia
Aegean
West Balkans
East Balkans

However, my Italian background is all Southern Italian/Sicilian and I only really got results in North Italy and Tuscany. So again, not very accurate.

You can upload your raw DNA there for free. But I don't think their breakdown is a secret or anything. Or do you mean that they manage to accurately separate them? Because I don't think they do. I have no Greek ancestry and at MyHeritage, I get 28.2% Greek and only 13.4% Italian. Sorry, I'm a little thrown by this question because I don't recall mentioning MyHeritage in this topic?

No, none of the DNA companies use cousin matches for ethnicity percentages (they are used for Genetic Communities, but those don't include percentages).
Yes, what I bolded. How do they keep them straight? As for you personally, I think what we frequently say on these forums is correct, MyHeritage REALLY struggles to sort out admixed individuals. I think someone in my family is "9% Greek" too, and I am over 15% Italian by their measure, no ancestors from either place that I know.

Non-admixed Europeans are much different though. I have looked at dozens and dozens of Greeks on that site, and Italy vs. Greece is not a mistake I have seen them make. Balkan vs. Greece? Yes, MyHeritage does sometimes give Greeks no "Greek" and assigns them 75%+ "Balkan."

Do you have any full-blooded Italian matches on MyHeritage? If so, I would be interested to see their results. My expectation would be that more Italians show Greek heritage than vice-versa because of the historic Greek colonization of Southern Italy and Sicily. But, overall it would be interesting to see if the site can tell the difference.

Last edited by westsideboy; 08-22-2018 at 11:47 AM..

Old 08-22-2018, 11:52 AM

I should include this for reference.

My FIL at MyHeritage:

85.6% Greek
7.8% North Africa
4.5% Middle East
2.1% Ashkenazi Jewish

FIL new Ancestry.com results:

Italy 50%
Refined from:
Europe South 68%

Refined from:
Europe South 68%

Refined from:
Caucasus 11%

Migrations
Greece, Turkey & Albania

No Longer in Estimate
Middle East 10%
Europe East 7%
European Jewish 3%
Africa North <1%

For reference, all 8 of his great-grandparents were born on the Greek islands of Fourni, Ikaria, and Samos.

Old 08-22-2018, 01:18 PM

It looks like Ancestry.com has shut down the "free preview" of the new regions. If you put /transition after your DNA origin, you get this message now:

Still Processing Results

Ancestry is committed to making it easier for people to discover where and who they come from. We are excited to share your new, more precise results, calculated using an updated algorithm. We are working on this as quickly as possible and will let you know as soon as your results are ready.

Old 08-22-2018, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Yes, what I bolded. How do they keep them straight? As for you personally, I think what we frequently say on these forums is correct, MyHeritage REALLY struggles to sort out admixed individuals. I think someone in my family is "9% Greek" too, and I am over 15% Italian by their measure, no ancestors from either place that I know.

Non-admixed Europeans are much different though. I have looked at dozens and dozens of Greeks on that site, and Italy vs. Greece is not a mistake I have seen them make. Balkan vs. Greece? Yes, MyHeritage does sometimes give Greeks no "Greek" and assigns them 75%+ "Balkan."

Do you have any full-blooded Italian matches on MyHeritage? If so, I would be interested to see their results. My expectation would be that more Italians show Greek heritage than vice-versa because of the historic Greek colonization of Southern Italy and Sicily. But, overall it would be interesting to see if the site can tell the difference.
You can see how many Italians get results in Greece and vice versa at MyHeritage: https://www.myheritage.com/ethnicities

47% of testers in Italy get results in Greece
21.4% of testers in Greece get results in Italy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy