Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2018, 04:26 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,874,855 times

Advertisements

Will be sending in DNA for ancestry purposes to 23andme.

Have you received your info from them and were you pleased with the service and findings?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2018, 05:01 AM

23,874 posts, read 33,587,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post

Have you received your info from them and were you pleased with the service and findings?
Are you doing it for family matching or health? Why have you decided on 23 and me verses ancestry who has the largest database and offers family trees. 23 and me gives family matching, ethnicity and haplogroup which you can get free from wegene. They do not have family trees

See my thread //www.city-data.com/forum/genea...l#post52497844

Old 11-27-2018, 08:34 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,342,946 times
Quote:

I haven't done 23andMe, but like Roselvr mentioned, it all depends on what you are looking for.

Here's an article from The Guardian back in May of 2015, while old it still touches on some important aspects of DNA and ancestry:

So you’re related to Charlemagne? You and every other living European…

The truth is that we all are a bit of everything, and we come from all over. If you’re white, you’re a bit Viking. And a bit Celt. And a bit Anglo-Saxon. And a bit Charlemagne. This is not to disparage genetic genealogy and ancestry. Done right, it is an immensely powerful tool for studying families and human migrations. DNA can disclose unknown cousins or parents. Further back, the past becomes dimmer, but not invisible.

Half of your genome comes from your mother and half from your father, a quarter from each of your grandparents. But because of the way the DNA deck is shuffled every time a sperm or egg is made, it doesn’t keep halving perfectly as you meander up through your family tree. If you’re fully outbred (which you aren’t), you should have 256 great-great-great-great-great-great-grandparents. But their genetic contribution to you is not equal. Before long, you will find ancestors from whom you bear no DNA. They are your family, your blood, but their genes have been diluted out of your bloodline. Even though you are directly descended from Charlemagne, you may well carry none of his DNA.

Ancestry is messy. Genetics is messy, but powerful. People are horny. Life is complex. Anyone who says differently is selling something. A secret history is hidden in the mosaics of our genomes, but caveat emptor.

Old 11-27-2018, 08:48 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,385,483 times
I find 23andMe to be very thorough. I also uploaded my info to GEDMatch.

As for my results, well, I did not expect to be so frickin' white. Jeez. And even that's not much of a melting pot. I guess you could say I was disappointed in that. I was 96% German/French and 4% Nordic, with a smattering of other things thrown in, all at less than one-tenth of a percent. Disappointing mostly because I had read all these articles about people researching their newly discovered heritage and it turns out I already know everything about mine. Meh.

Old 11-27-2018, 08:50 AM

2,218 posts, read 2,942,522 times
Our family tested with both Ancestry and 23andme and we were much happier with 23andme (we did just the ancestry with both tests). We had more matches on 23andme and it was easier to decipher what line they were through (maternal/paternal). However if you are looking for certain parts of your family (bf, bm etc) then I would recommend testing at both (and also uploading your raw data to other sites) because you just never know where your family will test (especially with all the sales that have been going on).

Another thing I love about 23andme is playing around with the chromosome tools! And you can also check for certain genes and markers without getting the Health report. I like this because I can just check the things I am interested in seeing.

Old 11-27-2018, 10:51 AM

16,099 posts, read 10,766,542 times
I tested with 23andme and was satisfied with the ancestry results. They were reasonably close to what I expected from my paper trail but there are a few surprises and some shortcomings. My DNA cousins are mostly nonresponsive but I have a handful of reasonably close 'found' relatives. I just sent in my little spitoon to Ancestry so I will be able to compare the two in a few weeks. The health aspect for 23andme has been something of an over-hyped thing in my view because they are focusing on very rare genetic situations and diseases I've never heard of. If you come from a family that tends toward those diseases it is a good test but not fully conclusive. They will also tell you your eye color and other traits that you can see in a mirror...that's like a parlor game.

Old 11-27-2018, 12:10 PM

23,874 posts, read 33,587,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NRaleigh Mom View Post
Our family tested with both Ancestry and 23andme and we were much happier with 23andme (we did just the ancestry with both tests). We had more matches on 23andme and it was easier to decipher what line they were through (maternal/paternal). However if you are looking for certain parts of your family (bf, bm etc) then I would recommend testing at both (and also uploading your raw data to other sites) because you just never know where your family will test (especially with all the sales that have been going on).

Another thing I love about 23andme is playing around with the chromosome tools! And you can also check for certain genes and markers without getting the Health report. I like this because I can just check the things I am interested in seeing.
Glad to hear they give tools which ancestry doesn't have. My Heritage (free upload) has them too, love playing with chromosome browser there.

For those not familiar with my story, both of my parents were immigrants to the US in the late 50's from Hungary. My DNA is at Ancestry plus the main free sites which are my heritage, FTDNA, GEDmatch, GEDmatch Genesis. I have the most matches on ancestry but I have matches from Hungary at my heritage.

I have not done 23 and me yet so I'm not sure what kind of matches I'd have since my main cousin matches from my mothers side are at ancestry. My dads brothers DNA just got to ancestry, will be interested to see what matches I have from that side. His DNA will also be on all the sites once it comes back

Before I said see my thread. The thread gives the main free sites and a link to PA2UK's extensive list as well as input on family tree sites. Go0t side tracked with my grand daughter lol //www.city-data.com/forum/genea...l#post52497844

Old 11-27-2018, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Are you doing it for family matching or health? Why have you decided on 23 and me verses ancestry who has the largest database and offers family trees. 23 and me gives family matching, ethnicity and haplogroup which you can get free from wegene. They do not have family trees

See my thread //www.city-data.com/forum/genea...l#post52497844

oh no, had no idea it was so involved....wish I had seen your info first...

Old 11-27-2018, 01:13 PM

Thanks everyone.

Like JrzDefector I'm afraid I'm going to be just Welsh and Scottish and nothing exotic....would like a little Russian thrown in, maybe East European...
even Native American, that'd be awesome.

Old 11-27-2018, 01:27 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,342,946 times
Quote:
Thanks everyone.

Like JrzDefector I'm afraid I'm going to be just Welsh and Scottish and nothing exotic....would like a little Russian thrown in, maybe East European...
even Native American, that'd be awesome.
Well, I'm 88% Eastern Europe & Russia on Ancestry, 61.8% East European on My Heritage and 65% East Europe on Family Tree DNA, so I can definitely afford to give you a few percentages of mine!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy