Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2019, 01:34 PM

1,019 posts, read 1,044,673 times

Advertisements

Is it possible to search for DNA matches by a specific chromosome?

I tested through Ancestry and downloaded my results to my computer, then uploaded to GEDmatch, MyHeritage, and FamilyTree DNA. I paid for the small fee to review the chromosome browser on MyHeritage and FTDNA; did not pay anything for GEDmatch.

I am really curious as to how I match a specific person. The chromosome browsers on all these sites show the same big chunks of matches on chromosomes 2, 5, 13, and 19 for a total of 130 cM shared.

With only one exception, I don't recognize any of our shared matches. That one exception isn't that close of relation and we don't have any triangulated segments.

I thought it might be helpful if I could somehow search for everybody who matches me on segment 5, for example.

Is this possible with any of the sites?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2019, 02:45 PM

23,869 posts, read 33,575,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonderella View Post
Is it possible to search for DNA matches by a specific chromosome?

I tested through Ancestry and downloaded my results to my computer, then uploaded to GEDmatch, MyHeritage, and FamilyTree DNA. I paid for the small fee to review the chromosome browser on MyHeritage and FTDNA; did not pay anything for GEDmatch.

I am really curious as to how I match a specific person. The chromosome browsers on all these sites show the same big chunks of matches on chromosomes 2, 5, 13, and 19 for a total of 130 cM shared.

With only one exception, I don't recognize any of our shared matches. That one exception isn't that close of relation and we don't have any triangulated segments.

I thought it might be helpful if I could somehow search for everybody who matches me on segment 5, for example.

Is this possible with any of the sites?
Not that I know of, or not directly on any of the sites yet. There may be a program that can do it or will be able to eventually.

Old 09-07-2019, 04:45 PM

10,214 posts, read 17,885,184 times
I believe Gedmatch's Tier 1 tool "Segment Search" does this.

Old 09-07-2019, 07:13 PM

16,091 posts, read 10,757,764 times
I haven't tried that kind of search online but I download my 23andme matches to excel and sort by chromosome number and then start and end locations to see who matches on specific segment locations. I can see patterns based on matches with close cousins where I know how we are connected. I don't know if Ancestry has that download option.

Old 09-08-2019, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
I haven't tried that kind of search online but I download my 23andme matches to excel and sort by chromosome number and then start and end locations to see who matches on specific segment locations. I can see patterns based on matches with close cousins where I know how we are connected. I don't know if Ancestry has that download option.
No, Ancestry doesn't allow you to view or download matching segment data with DNA matches.

As far as I know, at 23andMe, you can't download matching segment data from all your matches in one go? You still have to select certain matches you want to compare with, then download that matching data. It would take a while to do that for all of them and compile them into one file.

DNAPainter.com has a chromosome mapping tool that will help you do this sort of thing.

Old 09-08-2019, 10:00 AM

I have not used the tools at DNAGedcom Tools but one part looks hopeful. I'll leave links and some of the description.

Autosomal DNA Segment Analyzer
Quote:
The Autosomal DNA Segment Analyzer (ADSA) was created by Don Worth. The ADSAconstructs tables that include match and segment information as well as a visual graph of overlapping segments.It will analyse your data from FTDNA, 23andMeor Gedmatchuploads
About the Autosomal DNA Segment Analyzer (ADSA)
Quote:
The Autosomal DNA Segment Analyzer (ADSA) is a tool that takes your data from Family Tree DNA, 23and Me or GEDMatch and constructs tables that include match and segment information as well as a visual graph of overlapping segments, juxtaposed with a customized, color-coded In-Common-With (ICW) matrix that will permit you to triangulate matching segments without having to look in multiple spreadsheets or on different web pages. Additional information, such as ancestral surnames, suggested relationship ranges, and matching segments and ICWs on other chromosomes is provided by hovering over fields on the screen.

Old 09-08-2019, 10:27 AM

I could never get DNAgedcom to work for some reason.

Old 09-08-2019, 12:34 PM

5,043 posts, read 7,419,654 times
Yes, GEDmatch does it through the $10 Tier 1 tool called "Segment Search". Although when I use it it gives me all the matches on the chromosome specified, not the range I try to specify, but it is still a good way to find matches on the segment you're looking for. It provides a grpahic which includes the match names and start/stop points for easy reference. Of course it will not distinguish between maternal/paternal sides, you will need to use the one to one feature to help with that.

Old 09-08-2019, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
I could never get DNAgedcom to work for some reason.
Me either but from what I understand, you have to pay for it. I never did

Old 09-08-2019, 03:36 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,968,766 times
"Is it possible to search for DNA matches by a specific chromosome?"
possible? yes.
"Is this possible with any of the sites?"
possible? yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy