Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2019, 12:57 AM

37,109 posts, read 41,277,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
One surviving child out of multiple births sounds more like Hemolytic disease from Rh-incompatibility.

Only about 15% of the world population is Rh negative, with up to 19% in the French Basque & Ashkenazi Jews. Rh positive is the dominant trait & when a Rh negative woman gives birth to the baby of an Rh positive man; it’s most likely that the baby will be Rh positive as well.

During childbirth, body fluids & blood can mix & when the baby’s blood meets the woman’s blood; she will form antibodies towards the Rh positive blood cells.

While the firstborn would survive; any subsequent children, if from an Rh positive father; would encounter the antibodies in the mother’s blood, causing the baby to suffer an “attack” from its own mother’s blood.

Subsequent children who actually had inherited the Rh negative blood type would not be at risk but since Rh positive is dominant; that is an uncommon occurrence.

Since the late 1960s a product called Rhogam has been available for use in Rh negative pregnant women that prevents the Rh-negative mother from making antibodies during her pregnancy but this is why people used to have to get a blood type test before they got married: To check for Rh-incompatibility.

Rh-negative prevalence is under 4% in Sub-Sahara Africa, Pacific Islanders, South America & Asia, 4-9% in the Mediterranean & North/East African regions & 10-15% in Northern & Eastern Europe.

This is actually how I discovered that my great x 5 grandfather was an Ashkenazi Jew; I had always been curious how I was Rh negative from two positive parents & four positive grandparents. I have one sister & she is also positive. It seemed as though all branches of my family tree had high fertility rates with no recorded early infant deaths or stillbirths.

Then I found a great-great-great grandmother who was the only surviving out of three. As was her father. And his; a “German” physician; educated at Heidelburg University prior to immigrating. I found the church birth records; with scores of entries under his surname (German law required that Jews be registered with the Lutheran Church for full citizenship rights); of children who were baptized & received their last rites ... on the same day.

I later found our surname on the registries of Holocaust victims (who had not immigrated) & finally; DNA analysis confirmed it.
Princess Helena had four surviving children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2019, 01:31 AM

18,528 posts, read 18,757,013 times
Interesting thread. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haemop...ropean_royalty

Old 03-05-2019, 05:53 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,568,408 times
Queen Victoria had five daughters who each had a 50/50 chance of being a carrier
  1. Victoria, German Empress
  2. Alice, Grand Duchess of Hesse
  3. Princess Helena
  4. Princess Louise, Duchess of Argyll
  5. Princess Beatrice

We know Alice and Beatrice were carriers because they had sons with hemophilia.

Victoria, the German Empress, had four sons (one of which died of meningitis at age of 21 months), but none of which showed any sign of the disease. She had four daughters and they had 9 grandsons. We assume that she wasn't a carrier because statistically, it would have been nearly impossible for no one to have the disease.

Princess Louise, Duchess of Argyll, (18 March 1848 – 3 December 1939) was the sixth child and fourth daughter of Queen Victoria and Prince Albert. She was childless and AFAIK there did not exist any tests even in her old age that would have determined if she was a carrier.

But Princess Helena should be easy to tell given that she had 6 pregnancies. She lost two boys and two boys land two girls lived. But they produced only one granddaughter. Basically, she could have been a carrier, but we don't have enough statistical evidence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy