Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2019, 03:55 PM

23,866 posts, read 33,561,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
South Carolina does give adoptees access to original birth certificates.

**North Carolina House Bill 1463 amended North Carolina adoption statutes G. S. 48-9-101, 48-9-104 and130A-93 that allow for the disclosure of certain adoption information.
Thanks, it's in the page I shared that's in bold below. There's too much there for me to copy. The OP will have to go read it.

How to Get Birth Certificate in North Carolina if You Were Adopted

Quote:
North Carolina OBC Access Status: Sealed with Confidential Intermediary system
Access to the Original Birth Certificate in North Carolina
Per North Carolina Citation: Gen. Stat. § 48-9-106 – Upon receipt of a certified copy of a court order issued pursuant to § 48-9-105 authorizing the release of an adopted person’s original birth certificate, the State Registrar shall give the individual who obtained the order a copy of the original birth certificate with a certification that the copy is a true copy of a record that is no longer a valid certificate of birth. According to North Carolina law, when an adoption is finalized the records are permanently sealed and remain closed to the public. Confidential Intermediaries, however, may access adoption records in order to assist in searches on behalf of eligible participants and to share adoption information when all parties consent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Big congrats! Sounds like you already know the answer. As was mentioned, DNA doesn't lie. It's how adoptees are getting around the laws where states won't open records. More and more adoptees are finding the answers themselves thru DNA matches.

I have an adoption blog.

NORTH CAROLINA - SEALED

From there I did some googling for you. Hopefully these 2 pages will help get you in the right direction.

North Carolina vital records

My brother was taken for adoption in 1960. My mother changed her mind, kept him a few months but they came knocking because they needed her infant. She was a recent immigrant from Hungary that didn't speak much English so she handed him over because she had already signed. We found him in 2004 on one of the adoption reunion sites. There was no denying he was one of us. He also had his adoption records, his adoptive parents were supportive of their kids looking for their birth parents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy