Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2019, 06:06 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,850,718 times

Advertisements

Instructions on how to acquire a copy of Annie's petition papers in Cleveland, U.S. District Court.

https://www.ancestry.com/search/coll...zationindexes/

Annie's petition # is: 118212
Her alien registration # is: A 5321819

Final nat papers from that time frame *should* contain a photo, not certain if petition does.

Ohio, Northern District , Eastern Division, Cleveland, U.S. District Court: Index to Petitions, 1855-1967 (NARA Roll Series M1893)
  • For copies of the original file, write to:
    National Archives-Great Lakes Region
    7358 South Pulaski Road
    Chicago, IL 60629
    phone: (773)948-9001
    fax: (773)948-9050
    e-mail: chicago.archives@nara.gov
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2019, 06:31 PM

Alfred Haynes entered the U.S. from Canada at Buffalo, New York on July 4th, 1919 and gave his date of birth as 7/1/93 in Winton, England. His occupation is machinist.

I looked up Winton, and Winton is a suburb of Bournemouth in Dorset, England.

That info may help you in finding out more about Alfred.

Old 04-03-2019, 06:38 PM

1920 census.

Alfred & Anna living in Pennsylvania.

Alfred Haynes Head M 26 England

Anna Haynes Wife F 25 England

Name Alfred Haynes
Event Type Census

Event Date 1920

Event Place Sharon Ward 1, Mercer, Pennsylvania, United States

Gender Male

Age 26

Marital Status Married

Race White Race White

Can Read Yes Can Write Yes

Relationship to Head of Household Head Relationship to Head of Household Head

Own or Rent Rent

Birth Year (Estimated) 1894

Birthplace England

Immigration Year 1919

Father's Birthplace England

Mother's Birthplace England

Sheet Letter A Sheet Number 2

Old 04-04-2019, 04:09 AM

8 posts, read 3,537 times
Hi daliowa,
That's brilliant, many many thanks again we really appreciate all the help and time you are spending, it's very kind of you and if ever we can help with anything UK related over here please don't hesitate to ask

I will check out again later when more time, it would be great if there is a photo will follow this up.

Many thanks again and will post again later

Kind Regards
Silk

Old 04-04-2019, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daliowa View Post
Alfred Haynes entered the U.S. from Canada at Buffalo, New York on July 4th, 1919 and gave his date of birth as 7/1/93 in Winton, England. His occupation is machinist.

I looked up Winton, and Winton is a suburb of Bournemouth in Dorset, England.

That info may help you in finding out more about Alfred.
Hi daliowa,
Many thanks again, I've been doing a bit of investigating and think that looking at the original copy I think he is meaning Winton in Salford as it's much nearer to home. ie https://www.google.co.uk/maps/search...-2.3735618,13z

I've managed to find him on the 1901 census and 1911 census living in Mossley https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/...81!4d-2.038679

It says he was born in Mossley so why he would use Winton I've no idea.
Looks like according to the census reports the family were involved in the cotton trade which was quite common for the time and area.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:X9GM-JX1
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XW12-F1Y

The reference to Barton earlier seems to be the registration district as per ... https://www.ukbmd.org.uk/reg/distric...%20irwell.html
This is the first time I've come across the district as such and makes me wonder if it means the marriage was near his home rather than Annie's which would be unusual now and probably more so then which makes us wonder !

I'm wondering if there are image collections that are searchable for the US and Ohio such as we have here for example ..... https://images.manchester.gov.uk/ so if I put in Chandos road which is where I lived as a child you can search and it comes up with https://images.manchester.gov.uk/web...e&refirn=16812

hope i'm not boring everyone

Kind Regards
Silk

Old 04-04-2019, 05:20 PM

Sorry,
Just another question / observation ....... Was it normal for someone to emigrate to the US from the UK via Canada in those days ?
I would have thought the obvious route from Manchester would be by ship from Liverpool to New York or am I letting my imagination run riot ?
Should I be looking at Canada for answers ?

Kind Regards
Silk

Old 04-04-2019, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silk_UK View Post
Sorry,
Just another question / observation ....... Was it normal for someone to emigrate to the US from the UK via Canada in those days ?
I would have thought the obvious route from Manchester would be by ship from Liverpool to New York or am I letting my imagination run riot ?
Should I be looking at Canada for answers ?

Kind Regards
Silk

Yes, I've seen it quite often. People arriving at Canadian ports, and then traveling through to the U.S.

Also, it is possible that they originally headed to Canada to stay there, and for some reason went to the U.S.

I wonder if either of them had any family or friends that were already in the U.S.?

Old 04-04-2019, 08:04 PM

I enjoyed seeing the photo of your childhood home. Was the milk truck just happening to be there when they snapped the photo, or was it your Dad's truck?

I remember as a child the milkman coming in the morning and leaving milk and cheese in a special box for that purpose right outside the house.

Old 04-04-2019, 08:11 PM

Thanks for posting the links to the U.K. census. The 1911 census gives the married name of Alfred's sister Hannah, and that info together with the other siblings names may help you find descendants that may have some knowledge of Alfred, or maybe even letters that he wrote?

My knowledge of English geography is sadly lacking, so thanks for clearing that up for me.

Perhaps Alfred was born in Winton for some reason? The family moved after his birth? His mom just happened to be in Winton for some reason when she gave birth? Or, the notation on the arrival record could just be wrong.

Also, you can see what homes in the U.S. look like today by putting the address in:

showmystreet.com

It is a free site.

There is a site to see old NYC house photos from the WPA project in the 1930's, but I don't know about Ohio, or Pennsylvania. I'll check.

Old 04-04-2019, 09:56 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,529,018 times
Up until 1947 there was no separate citizenship for Canada... they were all citizens of British empire, so a British resident could freely travel to Canada.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy