Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2019, 06:43 PM

7,012 posts, read 11,307,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
It's also possible the other person has a European ancestor which didn't register on his ethnicity. India was once a part of the British Empire, and it was not unusual for there to be some mixing of British and Indian.

Do you have any shared matches with him?
Beat me to it. I would guess that is the connection and start from there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2019, 07:45 PM

9,851 posts, read 13,696,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Beat me to it. I would guess that is the connection and start from there.
Much like someone who is African-American matching with a 100% European American.

Old 04-08-2019, 08:05 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,332,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
Much like someone who is African-American matching with a 100% European American.
True, but doesn't the average African-American in the US have about 22% European DNA. My guess is this distant Asian cousin, might of had their European DNA diluted out over time. That 19 centimorgans across 1 DNA segment, isn't going to show up as 1% of any of the 379 European Regions Ancestry has in their reference panels, will it?

Old 04-08-2019, 10:05 PM

2,218 posts, read 2,939,331 times
Quote:
African Americans typically have some European ancestry. My husband has approx 30%. He has numerous white matches, many of which show 100% European ancestry. This wasn't a surprise to us since slavery is part of his history however the number of white matches he has was surprising.

In my case, the match and I didn't have any shared ethnicity nor any shared matches. However since reading some of the replies it seems that most likely this person has some very far back British heritage that probably just did not register on his test.

What I think is wonderful about doing these DNA tests is the amount of history we are all learning through this process :-)

Old 04-08-2019, 10:06 PM

Quote:
It's also possible the other person has a European ancestor which didn't register on his ethnicity. India was once a part of the British Empire, and it was not unusual for there to be some mixing of British and Indian.

Do you have any shared matches with him?
Thanks for that bit of info! That makes sense! And no we have no shared matches.

Old 04-09-2019, 02:17 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,496,448 times
Quote:
Uncomfortable topic. It's not uncommon. 100% European American who has ancestry on this continent since colonial times might (I do) have African American cousins.

Old 04-09-2019, 04:34 AM

9,851 posts, read 13,696,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Uncomfortable topic. It's not uncommon. 100% European American who has ancestry on this continent since colonial times might (I do) have African American cousins.
It is uncomfortable. I hope I didn’t derail the thread though.

Old 04-09-2019, 09:57 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,874,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NRaleigh Mom View Post
Thanks for that bit of info! That makes sense! And no we have no shared matches.
Interesting - have you both uploaded to Gedmatch? If so, what does the one to one comparison say?

Old 04-09-2019, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Interesting - have you both uploaded to Gedmatch? If so, what does the one to one comparison say?
This match is on 23andme so I am able to use the chromosome tool there. However I am on Genesis and don't see him there (but so many have an alias there that it would be hard to confirm).

Old 04-09-2019, 11:28 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,874,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NRaleigh Mom View Post
This match is on 23andme so I am able to use the chromosome tool there. However I am on Genesis and don't see him there (but so many have an alias there that it would be hard to confirm).
Hang on, since this is 23andMe, the shared segment doesn't happen to be on the X chromosome, does it? Because if so, then this could be identical by state (false positive) match after all. I think 23andMe are one of the ones that report X matches even if they don't share any autosomal DNA, which in my opinion isn't a good idea. There is less recombination on the X chromosome, meaning larger shared segments can still be identical by state, especially if there's no shared autosomal DNA. Most companies don't use shared X-DNA to determine a match or relationship degree for this reason, but I think 23andMe is one of the ones that does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy