Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2019, 03:21 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,186,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
....*James Glennon arrived on ship St Leon at New York on 14 June 1836 from port Liverpool. His age was 29, his origin Ireland, laborer. I did not see any other Glennon on manifest.

As you found James C Glennon born in Westmeath, Ireland enlisted in US Army at Boston 5 Sep 1837 for 3 years in 2nd Infantry Co D...he was a private...age 22, gray eyes, dark hair, fair complexion, 5'4", clerk... was discharged at expiration of service at Fort King E --Florida.
1850 Arkansas Drew Co census.....
I'm supposed to be somewhere else, so this is on the rush.

OK, it looks like he is from Co. Westmeath, and you know his age. Now find out what diocese Co. Westmeath is in and see if his baptism is listed in any parish church records. Be aware not all R.C. church record go back that far and some have missing intervals, but it is worth a shot. If he were there, you would then have his parents' names.

If he was CoI, their church records have been better preserved because it was the state church.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2019, 01:53 PM

123 posts, read 115,385 times
Sorry for the late response! thank you both for all your help on this! I'll have to look more into those letters and see if I can find mentions of James or Anna - that would certainly be amazing if they were!

Also, I did find about three James Glennons in townships - Meath and Westmeath. The one in Westmeath was born in August of 1811 which is off on the birth date. So the only other two viable candidates would be a James Glennon in Meath with the birthdate April 13, 1816 and a James Glennan of the same township with the birthdate Feb 19, 1815.

Quick question: on Ancestry's website, is township the same as a county? Or do they mean the diocese?

Old 11-03-2019, 08:39 PM

123 posts, read 115,385 times
Hey again, everyone! Hopefully this thread is not completely dead. Since some of you helped me this past August, I've done a lot of research, trying to track down James' birth certificate but to no avail - every time I thought I'd nearly found it, it turned out to be incorrect. I was hoping that someone could help me out with this?

I know he was born in Westmeath, Ireland and I have two accounts that list his age: the 1850 Census of Drew County, Arkansas and the Army Enlistment in Boston, Massachusetts.

According to the census, he was 34 as of October 22, 1850, making his birth year 1816. And according to the Army Enlistment, he was 22 as of September 5, 1837, making his birth year 1815.

So, the date of his birth was somewhere between Sep. 5 - Oct. 22 of 1816 in Westmeath, Ireland.

Any further help with this would be MUCH appreciated!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy