Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2019, 09:16 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,323,454 times

Advertisements

Here's a screenshot for you, I haven't purchased the Core yet, was thinking maybe they might do a 'flash sale' down to $39 for Black Friday, if not, I'll probably purchase the Core in December.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2019, 09:19 AM

10,208 posts, read 17,859,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Here's a screenshot for you, I haven't purchased the Core yet, was thinking maybe they might do a 'flash sale' down to $39 for Black Friday, if not, I'll probably purchase the Core in December.
Thanks! That's exactly what I was looking for - so annoying they don't let you see it once you've ordered it.

Old 11-05-2019, 04:08 PM

5,326 posts, read 6,012,751 times
I found this interesting:
"Technically, the AncestryHealth Plus will involve sequencing a patients’ exome, the scientific term for all of the known genes that code for proteins in the body. But Ancestry has decided to return to users only a small amount of the resulting information. Dr. Eric Topol, director and founder of the Scripps Research Translational Institute, said the American College of Medical Genetics recommends that harmful mutations in 58 genes should be disclosed to people after sequencing is conducted. He noted that Geisinger Health, in its exome sequencing efforts, does this. “It’s minimal,” he wrote of the AncestryHealth Plus test. He called it “a step in the right direction, but not in keeping with consensus and practice in the medical community.”

https://www.statnews.com/2019/10/15/ancestry-health-launch/

I'll wait until I'm certain Ancestry's results are valid. The company previously reported a false negative for one of my APOE genes. (RS429358)

Old 11-06-2019, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
I found this interesting:
"Technically, the AncestryHealth Plus will involve sequencing a patients’ exome, the scientific term for all of the known genes that code for proteins in the body. But Ancestry has decided to return to users only a small amount of the resulting information. Dr. Eric Topol, director and founder of the Scripps Research Translational Institute, said the American College of Medical Genetics recommends that harmful mutations in 58 genes should be disclosed to people after sequencing is conducted. He noted that Geisinger Health, in its exome sequencing efforts, does this. “It’s minimal,” he wrote of the AncestryHealth Plus test. He called it “a step in the right direction, but not in keeping with consensus and practice in the medical community.”

https://www.statnews.com/2019/10/15/ancestry-health-launch/

I'll wait until I'm certain Ancestry's results are valid.
I think the results will be valid, just not comprehensive, which is the case with most consumer DNA tests.

Quote:
The company previously reported a false negative for one of my APOE genes. (RS429358)
Well, they hadn't intended on that raw data being used for medical results. This will be different since they are now doing it for medical reports.

Old 11-27-2019, 03:45 PM

My AncestryHealth Core results are in... unsurprisingly, there's not many reports yet (only 13) but of course if they're really sticking to this subscription idea, it means my results will stay this way unless I subscribe, which I won't because no other company requires that.

https://genealogical-musings.blogspo...ts-are-in.html

Definitely not worth the extra $49.

Old 11-28-2019, 05:41 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
My AncestryHealth Core results are in... unsurprisingly, there's not many reports yet (only 13) but of course if they're really sticking to this subscription idea, it means my results will stay this way unless I subscribe, which I won't because no other company requires that.

https://genealogical-musings.blogspo...ts-are-in.html

Definitely not worth the extra $49.
Thanks for your blog opinion. It was very helpful. I'm going to include it with the directions rewrite.

I need to find someone that's done My Heritage health. Are you going to be trying that too or no? Have you seen any reviews? I haven't googled yet.

Old 11-28-2019, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Thanks for your blog opinion. It was very helpful. I'm going to include it with the directions rewrite.

I need to find someone that's done My Heritage health. Are you going to be trying that too or no? Have you seen any reviews? I haven't googled yet.
Probably not - so far, I've managed to avoid giving MyHeritage my phone number or credit card details and I'm reluctant to do so because I've been hearing recently about how they are calling non-subscribers and using aggressive sales methods to convince them to subscribe, which is really uncool.

Old 11-28-2019, 10:14 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Probably not - so far, I've managed to avoid giving MyHeritage my phone number or credit card details and I'm reluctant to do so because I've been hearing recently about how they are calling non-subscribers and using aggressive sales methods to convince them to subscribe, which is really uncool.
They have my phone number and only call when they see me looking at subscription prices. I don't pick up the phone. I know it' them because I have their number in my contacts. I picked up the phone once, way back after I did their DNA for the founders project. They told me that if I want a better price then what the sale says to call and they will give me a better price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy