Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2020, 06:00 PM

5 posts, read 3,163 times

Advertisements

Trying desperately to find boyfriend dad. His mom and dad were married and had their first child around 1958. Dad was in the military (usaf) and was stationed at England and that is where my boyfriend was born (1961) Something must have happened because her and the baby moved back to the States but he did not. Later in life around 1977, she told him if he wanted to see him he was living in Philadelphia PA. I'm having heck finding him since theres more than just a couple with same name (Richard H Burke)
His moms name is Sharon Sue Burke nee Brown. I'm new at this and not sure if somebody could help me figure out which Richard Harry Burke he is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2020, 11:44 AM

10,209 posts, read 17,862,571 times
Is this their marriage record?

Name: Sharon S Brown
Marriage Date: 15 Feb 1958
Marriage Place: Bernalillo, New Mexico, USA
Spouse: Richard H Burke

Do you have at least an approximate birth year and location for Richard? Because if not, I would order a copy of their marriage record - hopefully it has his birth date and location. That will help you narrow down which Richard Burke you're looking for.

I noticed there's also this marriage record for Richard H Burke:

Name: Richard H Burke
Marriage Date: 22 Dec 1962
Marriage Place: Bernalillo, New Mexico, USA
Spouse: Beryl A Davison

If he married again later, he must have divorced Sharon so I would also order copies of their divorce records. In fact, here's mention of their filing for divorce in Jul 1962 so you know approximately when the divorce happened:

https://www.newspapers.com/clip/43046856/

That also tells you his middle name is Harry.

This is an announcement of their marriage which provides Richard's father's name (James Burke) and explains his connection to Philly: https://www.newspapers.com/clip/43047014/

Old 01-28-2020, 09:31 AM

Omg! Progress! The dates, the names and the location would be right. You are awesome! I really appreciate your help. Maybe now since I have a direction to go with this I will make some progress. I didnt have any problems with his Mothers side. But dang...I got overwhelmed when I seen how many Richard Burkes there were.
Ok. I guess I'm ready to begin again and this time it will be with a clear mind.
Thanks again.

Old 01-28-2020, 10:11 AM

16,070 posts, read 10,729,796 times
Might be him?
From Ancestry...
Social Security Death Index

Name: Richard H. Burke
Social Security Number: 144-24-9868
Birth Date: 22 Jul 1935
Issue year: Before 1951
Issue State: New Jersey
Last Residence: 19007, Bristol, Bucks, Pennsylvania
Death Date: 17 Feb 2007

Old 01-28-2020, 12:26 PM

10,209 posts, read 17,862,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Might be him?
From Ancestry...
Social Security Death Index

Name: Richard H. Burke
Social Security Number: 144-24-9868
Issue year: Before 1951
Issue State: New Jersey
Last Residence: 19007, Bristol, Bucks, Pennsylvania
The Social Security Applications and Claims Index says the father of that Richard was Hermen, not James, so it's probably not him:

Name: Richard Hall Burke
[Richard H Burke]
Race: White
Birth Place: Newark Essex, New Jersey
Father: Hermen Burke
Mother: Carolyn Krol
SSN: 144249868
Notes: May 1949: Name listed as RICHARD HALL BURKE; 22 Feb 2007: Name listed as RICHARD H BURKE

Old 01-29-2020, 07:03 AM

5,328 posts, read 6,014,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
The Social Security Applications and Claims Index says the father of that Richard was Hermen, not James, so it's probably not him:

Name: Richard Hall Burke
[Richard H Burke]
Race: White
Birth Place: Newark Essex, New Jersey
Father: Hermen Burke
Mother: Carolyn Krol
SSN: 144249868
Notes: May 1949: Name listed as RICHARD HALL BURKE; 22 Feb 2007: Name listed as RICHARD H BURKE
How did you access information from the SS Applications and Claims Index? I thought this information could only be accessed by submitting a written request to SSA. Ready access to this information could prove useful for many researchers. Thx

Old 01-29-2020, 07:29 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,325,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
How did you access information from the SS Applications and Claims Index? I thought this information could only be accessed by submitting a written request to SSA. Ready access to this information could prove useful for many researchers. Thx
Are you a member of Ancestry.com, they have two record collections in their card catalog:

U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007 with 134,351,603 records

U.S., Social Security Death Index, 1935-2014 with 94,331,839 records

that you can search through.

Old 01-29-2020, 08:17 AM

5,328 posts, read 6,014,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Are you a member of Ancestry.com, they have two record collections in their card catalog:

U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007 with 134,351,603 records

U.S., Social Security Death Index, 1935-2014 with 94,331,839 records

that you can search through.
Thank you. I am a member of Ancestry and did not know about the Applications and Claims Index. I thought that the Index would provide a claims number that could be used to send a request to SSA for further information. I'm very happy to hear otherwise. Makes me wonder what else I am missing.

Old 01-29-2020, 11:13 AM

Lol. You guys are great! I wish I knew as much as you do about this stuff. I love to research as long as its moving but when all movement stops...that's when I start going in circles.
The clipping of the Wedding announcement I thought was a good lead as the address for Richard's folks is in Albuquerque. I'm with you on "Pennsylvania". I failed to mention that in the late 1970's Sharon told my boyfriend that he was in Pennsylvania and that he had a son and daughter. I figure them to have been born anywheres from 1963-1970. That's just my guess. Also...Sharon's family moved to Albuquerque NM from Indiana. She had to have met Richard there in NM. Was he too in school at the same time or was he stationed there or was Father stationed there? After reading the message I started looking for James. I thought maybe I was on it when I looked at the Census of James Burke out of Philly. There was Richard 1939.
I love researching but I'm not all that great of a researcher that's for sure. One thing is...once I get going, theres no stopping until it's done.
And I soooo appreciate the tips the leads the information. Please dont stop there. It's nice to have someone along for the ride for those times when you come to that fork in the road and you just dont know which way s the right way to go.
Ok...so I will look at this new information and see what it's all about. Still wondering why newspaper had James. Somebody had to give them that information. And oh..I thought there was alot of Richard Burkes...theres just as many James'. Lol. Love it! I wonder what all our old ancestors think about all the names we have these days. Oh my.
I dont have a membership to ancestry yet. I'm going to go one more day driving myself crazy with this stuff and if I dont find him "I'll throw in the towel" Lol.
Hi ho! Hi ho!
Off to the past i go.
Have a great day.

Old 01-29-2020, 11:25 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,529,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfurness View Post
Lol. You guys are great! I wish I knew as much as you do about this stuff. I love to research as long as its moving but when all movement stops...that's when I start going in circles.
The clipping of the Wedding announcement I thought was a good lead as the address for Richard's folks is in Albuquerque. I'm with you on "Pennsylvania". I failed to mention that in the late 1970's Sharon told my boyfriend that he was in Pennsylvania and that he had a son and daughter. I figure them to have been born anywheres from 1963-1970. That's just my guess. Also...Sharon's family moved to Albuquerque NM from Indiana. She had to have met Richard there in NM. Was he too in school at the same time or was he stationed there or was Father stationed there? After reading the message I started looking for James. I thought maybe I was on it when I looked at the Census of James Burke out of Philly. There was Richard 1939.
I love researching but I'm not all that great of a researcher that's for sure. One thing is...once I get going, theres no stopping until it's done.
And I soooo appreciate the tips the leads the information. Please dont stop there. It's nice to have someone along for the ride for those times when you come to that fork in the road and you just dont know which way s the right way to go.
Ok...so I will look at this new information and see what it's all about. Still wondering why newspaper had James. Somebody had to give them that information. And oh..I thought there was alot of Richard Burkes...theres just as many James'. Lol. Love it! I wonder what all our old ancestors think about all the names we have these days. Oh my.
I dont have a membership to ancestry yet. I'm going to go one more day driving myself crazy with this stuff and if I dont find him "I'll throw in the towel" Lol.
Hi ho! Hi ho!
Off to the past i go.
Have a great day.
Go to your local library. They have an ancestry account where you can look records up

Have you checked family search to see if someone made a tree for them?

Look at the pinned thread, family tree and DNA general directions, I tell how I started and things to avoid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy