Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2021, 06:16 PM

3,057 posts, read 2,035,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessxwrites89 View Post

Yet, I would like to know the other half of my puzzle, to make sense of some things. I was born lactose intolerant, that didn't come from the Irish/British family. I'm also the only Celiac in my family, at least that I know of. I was diagnosed after markers for an autoimmune liver disease was found on a blood test. Thank goodness it's only NAFLD and gluten-free helped. The Celiac was found because of my liver. The Ashkenazi I found early on would make sense with the Celiac and lactose intolerance. Maybe the Eastern European would too.
Ireland could be the source of your celiac disease, quite high rates there but Ashkenazi could also clinch it.
The Mysterious History of Celiac Disease in Ireland - Nima
I am 30% Irish and 70% British DNA and 23andme says I'm likely gluten-intolerant. My blood test says not celiac but my gut dislikes wheat, tolerates it but too much causes problems.

Be glad you don't have Crohn's or ulcerative colitis, also high in Ireland and UK.

The gold standard for celiac diagnosis is from biopsy during colonoscopy, not blood test. Someday I'll ask for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2021, 08:56 PM

1,831 posts, read 3,200,641 times
I have taken both the Ancestry DNA test and the 23andMe DNA test and my results for both have changed from the original results. The original Ancestry results were quite different from my original 23andMe results...and they still are quite different. The highest Irish percent I have been is 62% and the lowest Irish percent I have been is 32%. At one point, I was 11% Italian and Greece. I think that is now gone. The 23andMe results are less specific for some regions. The Ancestry results have changed more than the 23andMe results. I have known relatives who were from Germany and France, but neither results have much German and French. My guess is that at some point in the future, my German and French percent will go higher. As is, the Chinese probably would not gain much by having my results. I feel the results are not that credible. They are interesting, but possibly not reliable.

Old 02-02-2021, 09:21 PM

10,214 posts, read 17,877,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
I have heard from other sources, besides the 60 Minutes segments, that the chinese are attempting to manage data to gain world control.
You mean by trying advance medical DNA science so they might be able to better treat or even prevent diseases so they can *gasp* improve people's health and lives? The horror! Quick, run back to under your rock and hide!

Quote:
China is already in several states and trying to get more to take their money in exchange for your data. Please, please think. There are so many ways those companies get around your HIPPA rights.
Again, it's not even about HIPPA, the DNA companies themselves don't share your data for medical research unless you separately consent to it, and even then, it's shared anonymously, so there's no identifying data, it's just the raw DNA. If medical DNA research concerns people, simply don't consent to it.

Old 02-02-2021, 09:46 PM

Not consenting to share likely doesn't offer much protection as data security breaches have become common. Also, data is sold. Here is an example.

https://www.komando.com/security-pri...te-now/748931/

Old 02-02-2021, 10:11 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,668,808 times
The March 2021 issue of Consumer Reports, page 38, also discusses the risks of genetic testing because the industry has little regulation. Those companies are not regulated and can change their terms at any time with or without your consent or knowledge. Sunday's 60 Minutes also brings out how dangerous it is when china manages your most personal information.

The testing companies enjoy you paying for their raw material so they can sell it to the highest bidder.

PA2UK mocks my concerns which demonstrates a lack of knowledge about the testing privacy and potential implications of foreign involvement.

Old 02-03-2021, 02:19 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,561,054 times
Quote:
Two people in my family were adopted, they were closed adoptions. I was trying to figure out what my ancestry and health was like. I already have chronic conditions and that's why I tried.

When I first did this, I was 7% Ashkenazi, 30% Eastern European, German, Norwegian, and French. Dad was adopted by an Italian family and there was no Italian. Mom's mother was adopted by an Italian family too. The only biological grandparent was my grandfather and he was Irish. I was 40% Irish, which wasn't a surprise.

NOW, 23 & Me took out the Ashkenazi, German, Norwegian, and French. Added Italian, not much. I'm more Eastern European than Irish.

According to GEDMatch, I'm actually 15% Ashkenazi, 45% Eastern European, and 40% Irish/British. GEDMatch found the Celiac, which 23&Me didn't pick up on. I was diagnosed by a doctor. GEDMatch picked up on conditions I do have, which 23&Me didn't pick up on. It was weird.

I wish I wasn't so rushed yesterday. As I was saying, get your DNA in My heritage since it's free. At some point they may stop allowing people to upload for free because it came out that the golden state killer was actually found because the genealogist uploaded his crime DNA to My Heritage which was against their rules. I just did my 4 year old granddaughters DNA at Ancestry, uploaded it to My Heritage in case they do shut it off. I would hate to have to pay for a test there when I can upload for free.

My Heritage isn't a US company, they're located in Israel. A lot of European people test at My Heritage because they're cheaper. Both of my parents were Hungarian immigrants, most of my family is still over there. With not knowing a few of your relatives, you don't know if their bio parents were immigrants, if they were, it's possible you still have family in other countries.

One of my favorite features of My Heritage is that on your main DNA page, it will list your matches by country. In my case, I'd scroll to Hungary, click on it, it will show me what matches live in Hungary. Clicking on a match, it tells me the estimated relationship, next it shows me ancestral surnames which are surnames the match has added to their tree. It also shows ancestral places such as Hungary and NJ for me. It then shows common matches, the matches tree if they did one and last chromosome browser.

With My Heritage, you can do more on the computer then you can on the app. When you go to the main page, you'll see DNA tools, one is AutoClusters where the tool organizes your DNA Matches into clusters that likely descended from common ancestors which also may help you.

Before I forget, in case you don't think your dad would test, make sure you get something with his DNA on it, preferably dad licking an envelope or stamp. I'm not sure if they even sell stamps these days that don't have glue on them. Same for your mothers mother. Does mom have any old letters that mom-mom licked the envelope or stamp? At some point, My Heritage will be offering this service, so keep it in mind.

As I said yesterday, having your parents DNA would be a huge help to you because it will show you what line your matches match you from. I didn't have either parent's DNA when I 1st started about 6 years ago. My mother has since tested at both 23 and me and Ancestry but I had already figured out my matches from her line. Her DNA was also uploaded to My Heritage by my sibling.

So we know your father is adopted, so is your mothers mother. As I was saying yesterday, you have to do Ancestry DNA, especially since your father was adopted. I think we talked about this before, how he doesn't want to know. It's frustrating because while it's your dad who's adopted, this directly affects you. You got 50% of your DNA from his unknown parents.

23 and me is decent for some adoptees to find their bio family but most have better luck with ancestry because Ancestry has a bigger DNA database; Ancestry has the largest DNA database. As PA2UK said, they're a genealogy site, they at least have family trees, so does My Heritage. 23 and me does not. 23 and me is not a genealogy site, they're worthless for genealogy, they're also the pits because people don't answer their messages. I have better luck with messages at Ancestry, plus they have a feature that shows you if your message was read or not. Some are saying the system isn't working right, right now, but it does work. At least you'd know if people were reading your messages there.

Out of all of the sites, I have the best matches on Ancestry for my mother's side. My dad passed 15 years ago so I don't have his DNA. Thankfully he has a brother in Hungary who's now 83 that did Ancestry DNA and a Y-DNA (paternal line) test at FTDNA. I'd love to get him a 23 and me test just to have him there but I'm not sure he'd do another test.

What kind of matches do you have at 23 and me? Do you have any fairly close (2nd-3rd) relatives that you don't know? Have you tried messaging any of your matches?

This time last year, I met a fairly close match at 23 and me that I didn't recognize. I ended up sending him a message. He told me he was adopted. I also sent messages to our common matches, hoping some would reply, 2 did. I found out we were related through my mothers father. After I contacted the adoptee, a cousin who's grandmother is my grandmothers sister on my mothers mothers side also tested at 23 and me, turned out he matched him too, so now the adoptee is matching both of my mothers parents.

I ended up not thinking of the match on my mothers fathers side because I don't have good matches from this line at 23 and me, I have better matches at Ancestry for this line. My grandfathers line went to Missouri while my grandmothers line was in NJ except for one sister that moved to Michigan. Until I met this adoptee, I have not seen any matches that match on both of my mothers parents until I went to Ancestry the other day, I'm seeing a few people that also match both lines. I'm not sure which of my grandfathers relatives came East or which of my grandmothers sisters relatives went West.

Back to the adoptee at 23 and me. I decided to focus on what I did know; my grandmothers line, which is similar to your mothers mother. My grandmother has a few sisters that came to NJ, my grandmother stayed in Hungary. I had him upload to My Heritage where I have a few more cousins from that line. I also told him to buy an ancestry test because I have better matches there from both of my mothers parents. While he did buy an ancestry test, he has not used it yet.

He's been at 23 and me for 3 years, me contacting him, telling him that I knew one of his parents lines was a shock to him. I also told him to order his adoption records because he was adopted in NJ. He doesn't get on 23 and me much and is not on Facebook so I haven't asked if he ordered his records yet and why hasn't he done his ancestry DNA test yet, he's had it for a year already.

With him uploading to My Heritage, I ruled out 2 of my grandmothers sisters because he matches my cousins at the same level as me. My grandmothers sister that I think is his grandmother had 2 daughters and one son. To add to it, he was a twin, born in 1965 like me. One of my cousins from another sister was also born in 65, so my mother and my 2 cousins mothers were all pregnant at the same time which I thought was pretty cool. Anyway, this left one sister that could be his grandmother.

I then went back to 23 and me; who has the maternal and paternal haplogroups. I saw that his maternal haplogroup did not match mine which meant his mother was not one of the 2 daughters, it had to be her son who was his father. He was very blown away at this point.

What's funny is that a few months later, I got an email from a match at GEDmatch, his grandmother was my grandmothers sister that I did not know about. I told him to upload to My Heritage but he couldn't because he bought his test from CRI genetics (I believe), my heritage doesn't support uploads from there. I talked him into buying an ancestry test, they just happened to be on sale for $59. He uploaded his ancestry DNA to My Heritage which confirmed that his grandmother was not the adoptees grandmother. So that would help you with your mothers mother at 23 and me, looking at your maternal haplogroup.

I have another cousin who doesn't know his fathers father so he can do the same with his matches at 23 and me with looking at the paternal haplogroup of his matches. I've been helping him at ancestry. I haven't helped him at My Heritage or 23 and me yet. With your father being adopted, the paternal haplogroup of your matches would also apply to you and tell you if the match was on your fathers side so 23 and me may help you with your puzzle.

In order to find answers to your adoption puzzle, you really have to be in all of the databases. You should also upload to FTDNA too since it's also free.

Family Tree DNA you can transfer your Ancestry DNA or 23 and Me autosomal DNA data to discover new matches for free. For $19 more they will give you myOrigins, ancientOrigins and Chromosome Browser. I don't go on FTDNA that often to be able to tell you how my ethnicity results compared to Ancestry, My Heritage and 23 and me. Just know that when you upload to FTDNA, you're automatically opted into LE (law enforcement) matching. When you log in for the 1st time to change you r password, on the top right is your name, click it, then account settings then look for privacy and sharing. Look at Matching Preferences, Law Enforcement Matching (LEM) is turned on, slide it to off. You do not need to upload a family tree because they're similar to 23 and me where they're not a genealogy site so uploading a tree is worthless. They do not have a cell app and their site is antiquated but since you have adopted relatives, you have to be in every database because you never know where you'll find the match that breaks down that brick wall. It's referred to as fishing in all of the ponds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
If you identify your parent's unknown biological parents/grandparents, you can research their ancestry and find their ethnicity. You can use your DNA matches to identify unknown biological ancestors, but it takes work and honestly, it's not easy to do at 23andMe since they don't host shareable family trees. If you want to go down that route, I recommend testing with AncestryDNA.
Totally agree.

As I said above, I've been helping one cousin try to find his fathers father. The other day I was looking at his new matches, found some that do not have known common matches which I mark as lime green so it stands out. I then went to the ethnicity to compare his ethnicity with his unknown matches. I know his mother is Italian, so any of the unknown common matches that had Italian and related ethnicity, I knew comes from her side.

His grandmother, who's my grandmothers sister was Hungarian with European Jewish. I'm positive that his grandfather was Hungarian too, so he has some sort of Eastern European ethnicity.

I was able to add notes about the common ethnicity to where I was able to write mother's line which will hopefully help me to narrow it down more.

Quote:
Yes, I did Promethease! I guess I will never really know what dad is ethnicity wise and I will never know what mom-mom was. Dad says he's Italian because he was raised by an Italian family. I never connected with it and I rejected that religion when I was 11. I'm changing my religion and I guess at the end of the day, I can be whatever I want and ethnicity probably doesn't matter.
We both know that your dad isn't Italian from what you have found out so far.

As for mom-mom, this is where your mothers DNA would help a lot. You would then have her ethnicity and if you did both of yours at ancestry, it would help you because I don't doubt you;d have better matches because they have the largest DNA database.

Quote:
Like I said, two people in my family were adopted and they were closed. Mom-mom has been dead for 24 years, so I guess I could search for her birth family. My dad has no interest in it; my grandparents were his parents and he has no interest in finding his birth parents. Although, I don't think he can because when my parents were having some issues, mom asked if they could see the records and it was met with anger, or so I've heard. I was hoping 23&Me could answer some questions.

I've been helping adoptees since 1999. I've found that a lot of men don't care to find their bio parents for whatever reason. It very well could be that they're most likely deceased. Your father could also fear being rejected by his bio family. He may also feel like he's disrespecting his adoptive parents if he looked.

As I was saying yesterday, you may be able to order their records, you'd just have to tell me what state they were adopted in so I can check the sites to see what their law in with previously closed adoption records, not only that, whether you would be entitled to them or not.

For your mom-mom, your mother may be entitled to them. We won't know until I can look. If there's info you don't want to add as a reply, message it to me, I'll gladly do what I can to help.

Quote:
I guess the only thing I know for certain is I'm Irish/British since my biological grandfather was Irish/British. My biological great grandma emigrated from Ireland to the US in the late 1920's and I still have family in Ireland.
This is why My Heritage would be good for you. You may be able to connect with family that's still in Ireland.

Quote:
Yet, I would like to know the other half of my puzzle, to make sense of some things. I was born lactose intolerant, that didn't come from the Irish/British family. I'm also the only Celiac in my family, at least that I know of. I was diagnosed after markers for an autoimmune liver disease was found on a blood test. Thank goodness it's only NAFLD and gluten-free helped. The Celiac was found because of my liver. The Ashkenazi I found early on would make sense with the Celiac and lactose intolerance. Maybe the Eastern European would too.
I feel for you since I also have health issue that I'm clueless where they came from. I do know that my L5S1, low back issues come from my dad but his brother at 83 is healthy. I ask matches if they have health issues because I have other issues that I feel come from my mothers side. So far I've found one from my mothers mothers line that did have health issues while he was alive. My biggest question is which of her parents or my great grandparents also had health issues? I may never find out.

Last edited by Roselvr; 02-03-2021 at 02:32 AM..

Old 02-03-2021, 05:03 AM

5,155 posts, read 4,622,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I wish I wasn't so rushed yesterday. As I was saying, get your DNA in My heritage since it's free. At some point they may stop allowing people to upload for free because it came out that the golden state killer was actually found because the genealogist uploaded his crime DNA to My Heritage which was against their rules. I just did my 4 year old granddaughters DNA at Ancestry, uploaded it to My Heritage in case they do shut it off. I would hate to have to pay for a test there when I can upload for free.

My Heritage isn't a US company, they're located in Israel. A lot of European people test at My Heritage because they're cheaper. Both of my parents were Hungarian immigrants, most of my family is still over there. With not knowing a few of your relatives, you don't know if their bio parents were immigrants, if they were, it's possible you still have family in other countries.

One of my favorite features of My Heritage is that on your main DNA page, it will list your matches by country. In my case, I'd scroll to Hungary, click on it, it will show me what matches live in Hungary. Clicking on a match, it tells me the estimated relationship, next it shows me ancestral surnames which are surnames the match has added to their tree. It also shows ancestral places such as Hungary and NJ for me. It then shows common matches, the matches tree if they did one and last chromosome browser.

With My Heritage, you can do more on the computer then you can on the app. When you go to the main page, you'll see DNA tools, one is AutoClusters where the tool organizes your DNA Matches into clusters that likely descended from common ancestors which also may help you.

Before I forget, in case you don't think your dad would test, make sure you get something with his DNA on it, preferably dad licking an envelope or stamp. I'm not sure if they even sell stamps these days that don't have glue on them. Same for your mothers mother. Does mom have any old letters that mom-mom licked the envelope or stamp? At some point, My Heritage will be offering this service, so keep it in mind.

As I said yesterday, having your parents DNA would be a huge help to you because it will show you what line your matches match you from. I didn't have either parent's DNA when I 1st started about 6 years ago. My mother has since tested at both 23 and me and Ancestry but I had already figured out my matches from her line. Her DNA was also uploaded to My Heritage by my sibling.

So we know your father is adopted, so is your mothers mother. As I was saying yesterday, you have to do Ancestry DNA, especially since your father was adopted. I think we talked about this before, how he doesn't want to know. It's frustrating because while it's your dad who's adopted, this directly affects you. You got 50% of your DNA from his unknown parents.

23 and me is decent for some adoptees to find their bio family but most have better luck with ancestry because Ancestry has a bigger DNA database; Ancestry has the largest DNA database. As PA2UK said, they're a genealogy site, they at least have family trees, so does My Heritage. 23 and me does not. 23 and me is not a genealogy site, they're worthless for genealogy, they're also the pits because people don't answer their messages. I have better luck with messages at Ancestry, plus they have a feature that shows you if your message was read or not. Some are saying the system isn't working right, right now, but it does work. At least you'd know if people were reading your messages there.

Out of all of the sites, I have the best matches on Ancestry for my mother's side. My dad passed 15 years ago so I don't have his DNA. Thankfully he has a brother in Hungary who's now 83 that did Ancestry DNA and a Y-DNA (paternal line) test at FTDNA. I'd love to get him a 23 and me test just to have him there but I'm not sure he'd do another test.

What kind of matches do you have at 23 and me? Do you have any fairly close (2nd-3rd) relatives that you don't know? Have you tried messaging any of your matches?

This time last year, I met a fairly close match at 23 and me that I didn't recognize. I ended up sending him a message. He told me he was adopted. I also sent messages to our common matches, hoping some would reply, 2 did. I found out we were related through my mothers father. After I contacted the adoptee, a cousin who's grandmother is my grandmothers sister on my mothers mothers side also tested at 23 and me, turned out he matched him too, so now the adoptee is matching both of my mothers parents.

I ended up not thinking of the match on my mothers fathers side because I don't have good matches from this line at 23 and me, I have better matches at Ancestry for this line. My grandfathers line went to Missouri while my grandmothers line was in NJ except for one sister that moved to Michigan. Until I met this adoptee, I have not seen any matches that match on both of my mothers parents until I went to Ancestry the other day, I'm seeing a few people that also match both lines. I'm not sure which of my grandfathers relatives came East or which of my grandmothers sisters relatives went West.

Back to the adoptee at 23 and me. I decided to focus on what I did know; my grandmothers line, which is similar to your mothers mother. My grandmother has a few sisters that came to NJ, my grandmother stayed in Hungary. I had him upload to My Heritage where I have a few more cousins from that line. I also told him to buy an ancestry test because I have better matches there from both of my mothers parents. While he did buy an ancestry test, he has not used it yet.

He's been at 23 and me for 3 years, me contacting him, telling him that I knew one of his parents lines was a shock to him. I also told him to order his adoption records because he was adopted in NJ. He doesn't get on 23 and me much and is not on Facebook so I haven't asked if he ordered his records yet and why hasn't he done his ancestry DNA test yet, he's had it for a year already.

With him uploading to My Heritage, I ruled out 2 of my grandmothers sisters because he matches my cousins at the same level as me. My grandmothers sister that I think is his grandmother had 2 daughters and one son. To add to it, he was a twin, born in 1965 like me. One of my cousins from another sister was also born in 65, so my mother and my 2 cousins mothers were all pregnant at the same time which I thought was pretty cool. Anyway, this left one sister that could be his grandmother.

I then went back to 23 and me; who has the maternal and paternal haplogroups. I saw that his maternal haplogroup did not match mine which meant his mother was not one of the 2 daughters, it had to be her son who was his father. He was very blown away at this point.

What's funny is that a few months later, I got an email from a match at GEDmatch, his grandmother was my grandmothers sister that I did not know about. I told him to upload to My Heritage but he couldn't because he bought his test from CRI genetics (I believe), my heritage doesn't support uploads from there. I talked him into buying an ancestry test, they just happened to be on sale for $59. He uploaded his ancestry DNA to My Heritage which confirmed that his grandmother was not the adoptees grandmother. So that would help you with your mothers mother at 23 and me, looking at your maternal haplogroup.

I have another cousin who doesn't know his fathers father so he can do the same with his matches at 23 and me with looking at the paternal haplogroup of his matches. I've been helping him at ancestry. I haven't helped him at My Heritage or 23 and me yet. With your father being adopted, the paternal haplogroup of your matches would also apply to you and tell you if the match was on your fathers side so 23 and me may help you with your puzzle.

In order to find answers to your adoption puzzle, you really have to be in all of the databases. You should also upload to FTDNA too since it's also free.

Family Tree DNA you can transfer your Ancestry DNA or 23 and Me autosomal DNA data to discover new matches for free. For $19 more they will give you myOrigins, ancientOrigins and Chromosome Browser. I don't go on FTDNA that often to be able to tell you how my ethnicity results compared to Ancestry, My Heritage and 23 and me. Just know that when you upload to FTDNA, you're automatically opted into LE (law enforcement) matching. When you log in for the 1st time to change you r password, on the top right is your name, click it, then account settings then look for privacy and sharing. Look at Matching Preferences, Law Enforcement Matching (LEM) is turned on, slide it to off. You do not need to upload a family tree because they're similar to 23 and me where they're not a genealogy site so uploading a tree is worthless. They do not have a cell app and their site is antiquated but since you have adopted relatives, you have to be in every database because you never know where you'll find the match that breaks down that brick wall. It's referred to as fishing in all of the ponds.

Totally agree.

As I said above, I've been helping one cousin try to find his fathers father. The other day I was looking at his new matches, found some that do not have known common matches which I mark as lime green so it stands out. I then went to the ethnicity to compare his ethnicity with his unknown matches. I know his mother is Italian, so any of the unknown common matches that had Italian and related ethnicity, I knew comes from her side.

His grandmother, who's my grandmothers sister was Hungarian with European Jewish. I'm positive that his grandfather was Hungarian too, so he has some sort of Eastern European ethnicity.

I was able to add notes about the common ethnicity to where I was able to write mother's line which will hopefully help me to narrow it down more.

We both know that your dad isn't Italian from what you have found out so far.

As for mom-mom, this is where your mothers DNA would help a lot. You would then have her ethnicity and if you did both of yours at ancestry, it would help you because I don't doubt you;d have better matches because they have the largest DNA database.

I've been helping adoptees since 1999. I've found that a lot of men don't care to find their bio parents for whatever reason. It very well could be that they're most likely deceased. Your father could also fear being rejected by his bio family. He may also feel like he's disrespecting his adoptive parents if he looked.

As I was saying yesterday, you may be able to order their records, you'd just have to tell me what state they were adopted in so I can check the sites to see what their law in with previously closed adoption records, not only that, whether you would be entitled to them or not.

For your mom-mom, your mother may be entitled to them. We won't know until I can look. If there's info you don't want to add as a reply, message it to me, I'll gladly do what I can to help.

This is why My Heritage would be good for you. You may be able to connect with family that's still in Ireland.

I feel for you since I also have health issue that I'm clueless where they came from. I do know that my L5S1, low back issues come from my dad but his brother at 83 is healthy. I ask matches if they have health issues because I have other issues that I feel come from my mothers side. So far I've found one from my mothers mothers line that did have health issues while he was alive. My biggest question is which of her parents or my great grandparents also had health issues? I may never find out.
I met my Irish relatives three years ago when they visited the US. I still keep in touch with them. Great Grandma's niece is the sweetest and I ask her questions all the time. None of them have Celiac, but her husband's relatives do (totally useless in my case). She didn't share anything that I should be concerned about.

Mom-mom died of thyroid cancer when she was 57. Unfortunately, mom didn't keep anything that she licked, however I'm thinking I got the thyroid stuff from her. Mom has it and so do her sisters. Mom-Mom died of throat cancer, so it could have been thyroid cancer. Mom-mom also had diverticulitis, so she could have had Celiac, but never shared it and continued to drink since she was an alcoholic and didn't care. She was very depressed, which I got that from her. Mom always tells me, "you remind me so much of my mother and I hate that!"

Mom did Ancestry, as did my Irish relatives. I'll definitely check it out. I'll also see what dad licks or drinks from and go from there. Mom wanted him to do Ancestry, but he refused. He just retired from law enforcement and said, "I don't want my data being sold or I don't want to be linked to a crime I didn't commit."

I wonder if he knows his birth mother and I wonder if he knows if he has a half sibling or two. Maybe he does, but he's not sharing it for whatever reason. Maybe there's just a lot of shame around it and could even be why Nan was so hushed about it.

Old 02-03-2021, 08:02 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,877,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivertowntalk View Post
Not consenting to share likely doesn't offer much protection as data security breaches have become common. Also, data is sold. Here is an example.

https://www.komando.com/security-pri...te-now/748931/
That's not about a breach or data being sold, it's about Ancestry being bought by Blackstone. So what? Because they are a "private equity" firm? So was Permira, the company that sold their shares to Blackstone. And yeah, Blackstone also have investments in the medical field. You know who else did? Permira. And Permira primarily owned Ancestry for 8 years. DNA data was not sold. There's no reason to think it would now. Their TOS hasn't changed. This is just fear mongering based on misinformation.

Quote:
The March 2021 issue of Consumer Reports, page 38, also discusses the risks of genetic testing because the industry has little regulation. Those companies are not regulated and can change their terms at any time with or without your consent or knowledge. Sunday's 60 Minutes also brings out how dangerous it is when china manages your most personal information.
Nope, that's not true - a Terms of Service is a legally binding contract, which means companies are legally required to inform users of any change to that contract so they can choose whether to agree to it by doing nothing, or not agree to it by cancelling. More misinformation being used to fear monger. Try again.

Quote:
The testing companies enjoy you paying for their raw material so they can sell it to the highest bidder.
Do you have any proof of this actually happening without the consent of the user? Because if it did, it would be a breach of contract and every user's data that got sold would be able to file a class action suit.

Quote:
PA2UK mocks my concerns which demonstrates a lack of knowledge about the testing privacy and potential implications of foreign involvement.
PA2UK mocks your ignorance, misinformation, and propaganda being used to fear monger. PA2UK can also read what you respond with so there's no need to speak about her, you could speak directly to her, but maybe I'm being too intimidating?

Old 02-03-2021, 10:38 AM

16,082 posts, read 10,747,693 times
Quote:
We all have an expiration date but until then, I want to live free and not be a CCP puppet.
Okiedoke. At 72 I am probably past my "Best by..." date.
Let us know if you see any CCP agents creeping around collecting spit.

Old 02-03-2021, 06:41 PM

My Heritage Breach Leaks Millions of Account Details
https://www.theverge.com/2018/6/5/17...ed-hack-breach

Data Breach at GED Match

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/01/t...h-privacy.html

Ancestry.com Suffers Big Data Leak

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/01/t...h-privacy.html

FamilyTreeDNA Shares Member DNA Data with the FBI

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a8763521.html

5 Biggest Risks of Sharing DNA with Consumer Genetic Testing Companies
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/06/16/5-bi...companies.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy