Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2015, 10:36 PM

10,113 posts, read 19,396,101 times

Advertisements

I might have asked this before, but would appreciate more answers

What does the title Squire mean?

In doing family research, I found my g-grandfather and g-g-grandfather had this title. They were both from NW West Virginia. As far as I can tell its some sort of minor public official, like a justice of the peace. Any other possibilities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2015, 08:31 AM

4,861 posts, read 4,796,455 times
In the middle ages, a squire was a knight's armor and shield carrier. I have not heard as an occupation in more modern use.

I have a couple of ancestors in Kentucky and Tennessee whose first name was Squire.

Old 11-05-2015, 08:33 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,386,107 times
Large land owner

Old 11-05-2015, 09:22 PM

Ok, my GF came from WV, so I suppose near KY and TN. But the first name wasn't Squire, it was Joseph. I have found large tracts of land supposedly belonging to them at one time, but its difficult to trace, since its the same first and last name going back, you don't know where one ends and the other begins!

Apparently it carried through until quite recently. When my GF parents died, his sister was the declarant on the DC. She clearly spelled out Squire----for her father's father. That was about 1940, so it wasn't too archaic a term.

I also read that Squire could mean a minor official, sort of like a Justice of the Peace. Could be, they lived in a remote area, sort of like a notary today?

Regardless, GF has always been a bit of a mystery. His records go back just so far, then, a brick wall!

Old 11-06-2015, 04:49 AM

1,194 posts, read 1,099,416 times
Landed gentry.

In the US, it could theoretically be someone who actually came from the lower nobility, but just as likely -- or more likely -- meant that someone managed to obfuscate whatever situation brought him or his ancestors to the Americas, had acquired a tract of land one way or another, learned to read and write, and dressed up nice.

Old 11-06-2015, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodmockingbird View Post
Landed gentry.

In the US, it could theoretically be someone who actually came from the lower nobility, but just as likely -- or more likely -- meant that someone managed to obfuscate whatever situation brought him or his ancestors to the Americas, had acquired a tract of land one way or another, learned to read and write, and dressed up nice.

This sounds like Grandpa!

Old 11-06-2015, 03:30 PM

3,680 posts, read 2,962,528 times
I think it is an assistant. As in "a nobleman and his squire rode up to the fox hunt in an elegant carriage". But if you are currently a man about town....a squire is surely landed gentry.

Old 11-07-2015, 07:10 AM

23 posts, read 109,412 times
Escudero, scutitier, squiere......the one that carried the shield for the lord, sort of errand boy.

In English, the meaning changed to mean a member of the parliament, etc.

Old 11-07-2015, 10:05 AM

10,208 posts, read 17,862,571 times
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squire#United_States

In the United States, this style is most common among attorneys, borrowing from the English tradition whereby all barristers were styled "esquires". (Solicitors were entitled only to the style "Mr".) In earlier years in the U.S., the title squire was given to a justice of the peace, for example Squire Jones. It was also used to mean justice of the peace as in the example, "He was taken before the squire." The connection to attorneys appears to have evolved from a time when squires meeting to negotiate a duel would instead resolve the dispute.

Old 11-29-2015, 11:37 AM

393 posts, read 359,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squire#United_States

In the United States, this style is most common among attorneys, borrowing from the English tradition whereby all barristers were styled "esquires". (Solicitors were entitled only to the style "Mr".) In earlier years in the U.S., the title squire was given to a justice of the peace, for example Squire Jones. It was also used to mean justice of the peace as in the example, "He was taken before the squire." The connection to attorneys appears to have evolved from a time when squires meeting to negotiate a duel would instead resolve the dispute.
This makes the most sense, since we still put ESQ behind the name of an attorney in correspondence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy