Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2021, 02:53 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,230,957 times

Advertisements

This is odd that 23 and Me rejected a requested video from a Deaf lady because she wanted to use ASL sign language with voice over and captions. They said it didn’t “fit” their model. I know they wouldn’t do this to any other native language speaker. It’s a very interesting video about how this Deaf lady found her genealogy on 23 and me. This bias against ASL sign language shouldn’t be happening anymore. They wanted the Deaf lady to just use her own voice and not sign. They loved the story and requested her to submit a video. As you watch in the video below, it’s very common for a deaf person to sign, not using their voice and have a voice over interpreter supply the English version in real time. So archaic of them. Sad.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?fbclid=I...ature=youtu.be
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2021, 10:28 PM

23,900 posts, read 33,661,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayekaye View Post
This is odd that 23 and Me rejected a requested video from a Deaf lady because she wanted to use ASL sign language with voice over and captions. They said it didn’t “fit” their model. I know they wouldn’t do this to any other native language speaker. It’s a very interesting video about how this Deaf lady found her genealogy on 23 and me. This bias against ASL sign language shouldn’t be happening anymore. They wanted the Deaf lady to just use her own voice and not sign. They loved the story and requested her to submit a video. As you watch in the video below, it’s very common for a deaf person to sign, not using their voice and have a voice over interpreter supply the English version in real time. So archaic of them. Sad.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?fbclid=I...ature=youtu.be

I'm not surprised to see this. I think she would have had a different experience on ancestry or I'd like to think so.

I thought her video was fine with the voice over. Much easier to understand her. I guess sign language isn't being taught like it used to be, but then again we probably don't have as many deaf people in the world any more since illnesses that used to cause it have been erased with vaccines.

Old 03-18-2021, 09:32 AM

4,096 posts, read 6,230,957 times
Actually the number of Deaf has not lessened. Some reports are that ASL is the third most used language because it draws from all races and creeds. The advance of Cochleae Implants makes it seem like sign isn’t needed anymore but that is rife with problems, infections, technical difficulties, etc. so it is often advisable for the recipient to know ASL for backup.

Total language acquisition is the goal and the inclusion of ASL is a vital part. She mentioned in the video that even the best lip readers only catch parts. The published success rate is 30%. Being taught sign language is helpful in learning to speak as well but there is an ancient divide in that area due to AG Bell, inventor of the telephone. He was a fierce proponent of oralism, speaking. He opposed sign language at every turn and is a very controversial figure in the deaf world. He raced to compete with the newly established sign language teachers and schools and went as far as going to congress to outlaw deaf marrying other deaf in a eugenics hope for eradicating deafness. His Bill lost by only 3 votes. However he succeeded in establishing Volta Laboratory and Bureau to teach oralism with the support of the medical, educational and government communities nationwide. Now known as the Alexander Graham Bell Association for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing since 1999, it is funded in perpetuity on the condition that NO ASL is ever to be taught. Hence we have the situation of deaf babies being funneled into Oralism, with its 30% success rate. It’s such a crime.

It’s just crazy that in this day and age we have a sign language bias from a corporation. Unbelievable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy