Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2007, 03:15 PM

20 posts, read 86,840 times

Advertisements

Deaf couple from Midwest is seeking location where a Bible-teaching is needed. Anyone know of the location where there is no deaf ministry but have deaf community in town?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2007, 03:48 PM

246 posts, read 649,240 times
Smile will see what I can find out...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadassah59 View Post
Deaf couple from Midwest is seeking location where a Bible-teaching is needed. Anyone know of the location where there is no deaf ministry but have deaf community in town?
Wow! Good for you! Love you user name, BTW.
I will certainly see if I can come up with anything for ya! That's awesome.

I have had a heart for that ministry, but do not know any sign (I did buy a book for my daughter, as she loves it, too and a friend gave me a book on American sign). I'd take a class, if I could. Perhaps when they baby gets older and I have more "me time" the Lord might provide a way. I would love it!

I absolutely, love signing as part of worship. powerful stuff!

P.s - not sure if you knew this, but there's a religious forum on here, too. (Many Christians on of different Christian denominations) If you go down to the bottom, there is a jump to (drop down menu), you'll find it.

You might want to post your question over there, as well. Never know what God will do!

God Bless!

Old 05-10-2007, 09:03 PM

I am aware of Religion forum. I wanted to get an answer in general from Texans. My husband is from Lamesa, TX, we are trying to find a city or a town that have deaf community but need a church for the deaf. I really would appreciate a response to this.

Old 05-11-2007, 01:17 PM

Default specific area(s)?

Quote:
I am aware of Religion forum. I wanted to get an answer in general from Texans. My husband is from Lamesa, TX, we are trying to find a city or a town that have deaf community but need a church for the deaf. I really would appreciate a response to this.
Are you open to any area, or are there certain areas you're looking at?

Old 05-12-2007, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GausJAMS View Post
Are you open to any area, or are there certain areas you're looking at?
I am open to anywhere in Texas, is there a place you know of?

Old 05-14-2007, 12:26 AM

Quote:
I am open to anywhere in Texas, is there a place you know of?
I haven;t turned up anything, yet, but I'm putting some emails out there, tomorrow to a few places.

Will let you know, or give you contact info, once I get it.

Old 05-23-2007, 11:33 PM

1 posts, read 4,129 times
Default Atlanta

Because I have a late deafened daughter, I am beginning to try to generate interest in launching a ministry for deaf and hard of hearing at our church in Atlanta. It is the largest congregation in the PCUSA denomination, but has never had any ministry for deaf and hard of hearing. We are beginning to investigate options for live captioning in worship services, as most of the hearing impaired people currently in the congregation are elderly and have not learned ASL. My daughter lost hearing at 18, is about to turn 20, and while she is temporarily at home for a few weeks, she won't be around much as she off to Gallaudet for a month of intense ASL, then transferring to RIT/NTID. Her role in launching a deaf ministry at our church will thus be purely motivational.

At this point we have a long way to go in raising consciousness of the need for a deaf ministry, as deaf and hard of hearing people other than my daughter are not currently visible in the congregation. That makes sense since we have nothing to offer them! We have Spanish language and Portugese language (Brazilian) worship services, and programs for children, youth, singles, elderly, couples, etc., all of which are visible in our community, but nothing for deaf and hard of hearing. Thus, getting even a very large (10,000 on rolls) church to allocate a budget for deaf ministry is a challenge.

I would be interested in your thoughts on how to launch a deaf ministry, budget requirements to do it right in a big city, and your theological background. (Our church is moderately conservative mainstream Presbyterian - PCUSA.)

Old 02-19-2009, 08:36 AM

1 posts, read 3,669 times
Hello! Let you know that we have deaf ministry at our church as well as Sunday School class taught by deaf person. It is located in Conroe, Texas. So if any of you lives close around that city, you are welcome to stop by West Conroe Baptist Church, 1855 Longmire Dr, Conroe, Texas 77304.

Old 05-14-2009, 02:35 PM

1 posts, read 3,526 times
Default Deaf Ministry

Quote:
Have you started the Ministry for the Deaf Community yet? I know of one deaf man in the Bellshire Apartments in Conroe. I would imagine that there are at least 800 deaf in your community and all of us need the Lord.

I live in Alabama, but I have been called to plant a Deaf Church here. I am hearing, but come from a family with many deaf members.
Feel free to contact me though a relay service 251-626-7771 or by e-mail [email]jill@storybookphotography.net[/email]

Last edited by jillstewart; 05-14-2009 at 02:36 PM.. Reason: Forgot the title
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: