Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2021, 07:27 AM

1,794 posts, read 4,920,476 times

Advertisements

How far back can you trace relatives for a good DNA match?
I have dead end 2nd great grandmother whom I am sure was born in Pennsylvania in the mid
1800's, and I was wondering would DNA matches show up connected to her? Her parents or siblings?
It's frustrating when you hit a dead end and you just need some good DNA matches to guide you a little bit.
Is the DNA too diluted at 2nd great grandmom?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2021, 08:24 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,896,078 times
If people from her branch have tested, at least some of them will share DNA with you and show up as a match. People descended from her parents would be your 4th cousins, and 4th cousins have about a 50-70% chance of matching each other. It's around 8th+ cousins that the chance of matching is less than 1%.

https://isogg.org/wiki/Cousin_statistics

Old 07-14-2021, 08:30 AM

16,108 posts, read 10,775,000 times
I have identifiable matches back that far and probably one more generation back. In my case it was a paternal line from a small spot in Europe. Some matches traced to the same place on their family trees. It takes a recognizable clue of some sort.

Old 07-15-2021, 05:58 AM

23,878 posts, read 33,601,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfly4u View Post
How far back can you trace relatives for a good DNA match?
I have dead end 2nd great grandmother whom I am sure was born in Pennsylvania in the mid
1800's, and I was wondering would DNA matches show up connected to her? Her parents or siblings?
It's frustrating when you hit a dead end and you just need some good DNA matches to guide you a little bit.
Is the DNA too diluted at 2nd great grandmom?

Test at ancestry, they have the largest DNA database, then upload free to My Heritage which is world wide. Also do 23 and me if needed. Ancestry goes for $59 sale a lot. 23 and me $99 during black Friday and Christmas

Are either of your parents alive? If not, what about their siblings? Usually test the oldest generation which would put you closer to that 2nd great grandparent.

Yes it is doable, I have a match to 2nd great grandparents on my fathers side at My Heritage that lives in Hungary still.

Ancestry and My Heritage are genealogy sites where people also have trees. 23 and me is more of a health testing site but some people have better matches there for some reason.

When you have a brick wall, you have to do whatever you can.

FTDNA and GEDmatch are also free to upload to. Neither are genealogy sites and neither have helped me but you could be different with relatives in the US. Mine are from Europe. Both allow law enforcement to upload crime scene DNA which you have to opt out of if you don't want to do it.

If you do DNA I'll give you links to directions.

Old 07-15-2021, 12:56 PM

10,238 posts, read 6,331,454 times
I suppose it depends on how many people from a particular country submit DNA to Ancestry, and submit their trees.

A lot of UK people do both on Ancestry. I have gotten both DNA and tree matches in UK going back to 1700's. Their official records go back farther in time than the US records.

Edit: My grandparents came to this country in late 19th century. I have far more DNA results in England than in the US.

Old 07-15-2021, 10:05 PM

5,046 posts, read 7,428,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
If people from her branch have tested, at least some of them will share DNA with you and show up as a match. People descended from her parents would be your 4th cousins, and 4th cousins have about a 50-70% chance of matching each other. It's around 8th+ cousins that the chance of matching is less than 1%.
There could be DNA matches from earlier generations, who would then be a 3rd cousin once removed or even 2nd cousin 2x removed.

I was lucky to find a surviving great-granddaughter of my 3rd great grandparents who agreed to test. She is my (half) great aunt, but a 2nd cousin 2x and in some cases 3x removed to lots of descendants of those ancestors. She matches everyone in the family project.

Old 07-17-2021, 05:24 AM

305 posts, read 241,821 times
I would NOT send my DNA to any of those places. Who knows what they are really doing with it.

Old 07-17-2021, 06:32 AM

23,878 posts, read 33,601,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClubMike View Post
I would NOT send my DNA to any of those places. Who knows what they are really doing with it.

Why bother replying in the thread? This is the genealogy section where a lot of us have done DNA. What do you think companies do with it? Companies like 23 and me that do sell results disclose it so people can opt in or out.

Old 07-17-2021, 09:18 AM

2,614 posts, read 5,831,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClubMike View Post
Thank you for sharing that valuable information. I'm sure we will all give it the consideration it's due.

Old 07-17-2021, 05:10 PM

7,682 posts, read 5,538,623 times
I have several different DNA relatives where our most recent shared direct ancestors was born in the early 1800s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy