Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2021, 09:10 AM

936 posts, read 823,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
I'm not sure I know what a Harvey girl is???
Harvey Girls were the waitresses at the Harvey House restaurants, located in the railroad depots for the Atchison, Topeka, and Santa Fe Railroad (today it's the Burlington Northern Sante Fe Railroad). The Harvey Houses were legendary for their excellent food and service, and some historians say they were the first restaurant chain in the US, running from about 1880 to about 1970.

I live in the Kansas City area, where the Fred Harvey Co. had its headquarters in Union Station. Besides the Harvey House restaurants in the train stations the Fred Harvey Co. also ran the dining cars for the ATSF Railroad. They were like a 5-star restaurant on wheels.

Today Kansas City might have the only remaining Harvey House in the country. There's a restaurant in Union Station called Harvey's, which sometimes replicates some of the old Harvey House recipes. The restaurant sits right in the shadows of the old Harvey House headquarters. I've been the restaurant a few times. It's really good.

https://harveyskc.com/

Last edited by RDM66; 07-27-2021 at 09:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2021, 03:29 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,430,429 times
RDM66, the Belen, New Mexico Harvey House Museum used to provide a typical Harvey House meal for special events. Don't know if it still does. The museum itself is fascinating.

https://www.harveyhousemuseum.org/

Old 07-28-2021, 09:03 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,266,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDM66 View Post
Harvey Girls were the waitresses at the Harvey House restaurants, located in the railroad depots for the Atchison, Topeka, and Santa Fe Railroad (today it's the Burlington Northern Sante Fe Railroad). The Harvey Houses were legendary for their excellent food and service, and some historians say they were the first restaurant chain in the US, running from about 1880 to about 1970.

I live in the Kansas City area, where the Fred Harvey Co. had its headquarters in Union Station. Besides the Harvey House restaurants in the train stations the Fred Harvey Co. also ran the dining cars for the ATSF Railroad. They were like a 5-star restaurant on wheels.

Today Kansas City might have the only remaining Harvey House in the country. There's a restaurant in Union Station called Harvey's, which sometimes replicates some of the old Harvey House recipes. The restaurant sits right in the shadows of the old Harvey House headquarters. I've been the restaurant a few times. It's really good.

I just discovered that the movie is streaming on Amazon Prime, I know what I'm watching tomorrow night !!

Old 08-04-2021, 03:03 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,545,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDM66 View Post

Thanks, I'd never heard of them either, surprising since my now 36 year old son is into trains. When he was little we used to tour old stations, do train shows.

Old 08-04-2021, 11:56 AM

3,217 posts, read 1,604,262 times
My 7th great grandfather, was the first schoolmaster in Watertown, Massachusetts. From what I have read the only school teacher there for 20 years starting in 1651. He taught until around 1700, passing in 1709.

He was born in England in 1621, but came over with his father landing in Salem in 1638.

Old 08-05-2021, 09:22 AM

5,025 posts, read 7,409,636 times
Some former Harvey House hotels have been spared the wrecking ball, renovated and reopened to the public. I've been a few times to La Posada in Winslow, AZ. Its restaurant menu is pretty upscale, but there are still some breakfast items they claim were inspired by Harvey House menus:

https://laposada.org/

And more recently in Las Vegas, New Mexico (not Nevada!) the Castaneda Hotel, also once a Harvey House, was refurbished and reopened by the same couple that renovated La Posada. I was there several times before the renovation, but still mean to check it out now that it reopened:

https://castanedahotel.org/

Last edited by aries63; 08-05-2021 at 09:31 AM..

Old 08-05-2021, 10:17 AM

16,077 posts, read 10,738,506 times
The Castaneda looks nice. They are doing a good job on renovation. I have been in it but have not stayed there yet. It was the first Harvey House railroad hotel built before 1900. The classic La Fonda Hotel in Santa Fe was once a Harvey House as were the old classic hotels at Grand Canyon. Bright Angel Lodge has a small Harvey Girl museum.

Old 08-06-2021, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
Some former Harvey House hotels have been spared the wrecking ball, renovated and reopened to the public. I've been a few times to La Posada in Winslow, AZ. Its restaurant menu is pretty upscale, but there are still some breakfast items they claim were inspired by Harvey House menus:

https://laposada.org/

And more recently in Las Vegas, New Mexico (not Nevada!) the Castaneda Hotel, also once a Harvey House, was refurbished and reopened by the same couple that renovated La Posada. I was there several times before the renovation, but still mean to check it out now that it reopened:

https://castanedahotel.org/
Wow, thank you! Amazing both first and last have been renovated!

I still haven't watched the movie, I need to, tonight!!

Old 08-07-2021, 04:55 AM

So last night, my husband and I watched Harvey Girls! What a fun movie.

Old 08-09-2021, 06:31 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,771,202 times
Most of my 19th century ancestors were farmers. I had one direct ancestor who was a doctor in Kentucky and Tennessee in 1880s to 1900 or so. There had to be some interesting stories there from that era but I have none. A few others were preachers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy