Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2021, 07:34 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,329,017 times

Advertisements

I noticed that on Ancestry there is a new banner across the top stating:

Coming soon
AncestryDNA® results will be updated with even more precision this September.

It looks like Ancestry is going to continue rolling out a new DNA update this September, like they have been doing, I think for the last 3 years, 2018, 2019 and 2020.

I wonder if this is going to a yearly August/September thing from now on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2021, 02:22 AM

23,864 posts, read 33,540,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
I noticed that on Ancestry there is a new banner across the top stating:

Coming soon

It looks like Ancestry is going to continue rolling out a new DNA update this September, like they have been doing, I think for the last 3 years, 2018, 2019 and 2020.

I wonder if this is going to a yearly August/September thing from now on?

Good question. It's nice that they continue to try to refine it.

I'm surprised no one posted about the new terms they have with public images that if the original uploader makes it private or deletes it, it used to remove it but now everyone who saved it will get to keep their copy.

There was a lot of misunderstanding about it.

Old 09-09-2021, 10:13 AM

10,212 posts, read 17,867,035 times
They certainly set a precedent and if they stop or skip a year at any point, there's going to be an uproar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Good question. It's nice that they continue to try to refine it.

I'm surprised no one posted about the new terms they have with public images that if the original uploader makes it private or deletes it, it used to remove it but now everyone who saved it will get to keep their copy.

There was a lot of misunderstanding about it.
Deleting the original never removed it from other people's trees who saved it. The changes are purely legal - Ancestry now has rights to use it however they want, forever.

https://www.legalgenealogist.com/202...e-at-ancestry/

"In plain English, the rights to use that family photo you posted, that story you wrote and uploaded, that snippet of family history you’ve shared basically now belong to Ancestry. You can continue to use it elsewhere if you wish, since you’re still technically the owner, but you can’t do anything to stop Ancestry from using it any way it wants, forever."

The Legal Genealogist feels this is a big change, but uploading media to Ancestry always gave them the rights to use it however they wanted - the only difference is, now when you delete it, it doesn't revoke their right to use it however they want. But I'm not sure what the big deal is, because if you delete it, they don't really have access to it anymore. Sure, it's maybe backed up to some back up server somewhere, but do you really think Ancestry is going to hunt down that one deleted image on their back up server, just so they can use it for an ad or something? Come on, that's a little paranoid. As much as I respect the Legal Genealogists knowledge, sometimes I think she gets caught up in what the legal terms mean and doesn't really think about the logistics and reality of the situation.

Anyway, it's nothing to do with other users or whether or not media remains on their trees when you delete something - that hasn't changed.

Old 09-10-2021, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
They certainly set a precedent and if they stop or skip a year at any point, there's going to be an uproar.

Deleting the original never removed it from other people's trees who saved it. The changes are purely legal - Ancestry now has rights to use it however they want, forever.

https://www.legalgenealogist.com/202...e-at-ancestry/

"In plain English, the rights to use that family photo you posted, that story you wrote and uploaded, that snippet of family history you’ve shared basically now belong to Ancestry. You can continue to use it elsewhere if you wish, since you’re still technically the owner, but you can’t do anything to stop Ancestry from using it any way it wants, forever."

The Legal Genealogist feels this is a big change, but uploading media to Ancestry always gave them the rights to use it however they wanted - the only difference is, now when you delete it, it doesn't revoke their right to use it however they want. But I'm not sure what the big deal is, because if you delete it, they don't really have access to it anymore. Sure, it's maybe backed up to some back up server somewhere, but do you really think Ancestry is going to hunt down that one deleted image on their back up server, just so they can use it for an ad or something? Come on, that's a little paranoid. As much as I respect the Legal Genealogists knowledge, sometimes I think she gets caught up in what the legal terms mean and doesn't really think about the logistics and reality of the situation.

Anyway, it's nothing to do with other users or whether or not media remains on their trees when you delete something - that hasn't changed.

The Legal Genealogist was actually replying in the ancestry users FB group posts about it. lol

I've never uploaded media so have no reason to delete so you're telling me something I don't have experience with.

I was following some of the posts in the group, from what I read, people said the image staying for people who saved it to their tree was new. Now I don't recall if she confirmed that or not but she was explaining it to some posters.

Old 09-10-2021, 10:21 AM

16,075 posts, read 10,735,467 times
They give me 11% combined Sweden and Norway -- I hope they refine that since I have no Scandinavian ancestry in the past 6+ generations or more. Maybe Irish Vikings. There was a Danish woman in the 1500s that married a Dutch man that I know of. More precision in Eastern Europe would be nice. I have mostly given up on some regions ever being defined.

Old 09-11-2021, 08:45 AM

10,212 posts, read 17,867,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
The Legal Genealogist was actually replying in the ancestry users FB group posts about it. lol
She was replying to how it influences them, not because deleting the image has changed whether it deletes it from other trees or not, which is never mentioned in her article.

Quote:
I've never uploaded media so have no reason to delete so you're telling me something I don't have experience with.

I was following some of the posts in the group, from what I read, people said the image staying for people who saved it to their tree was new. Now I don't recall if she confirmed that or not but she was explaining it to some posters.
It's not new, it's always been that way. Anyone who thinks otherwise is just mistaken and apparently wasn't paying attention previously. The changes the the TOS are purely legal changes, as detailed on The Legal Genealogist.

Old 09-13-2021, 01:01 PM

5,018 posts, read 7,407,431 times
Quote:
Coming soon
Are they talking about ethnicity estimates? Communities? Would be nice if they specified. I'll keep my expectations rock-bottom. They can't offer "even more precision" when they are not even close to any kind of precision for a lot of us.

Old 09-13-2021, 02:37 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,329,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
Are they talking about ethnicity estimates? Communities? Would be nice if they specified. I'll keep my expectations rock-bottom. They can't offer "even more precision" when they are not even close to any kind of precision for a lot of us.
I'm assuming is going to be similar to the last 3 updates in Aug/Sep of 2018, 2019 and 2020, where the ethnicity estimates are further updated.

Old 09-14-2021, 09:57 AM

6,789 posts, read 4,230,123 times
Quote:
I'm assuming is going to be similar to the last 3 updates in Aug/Sep of 2018, 2019 and 2020, where the ethnicity estimates are further updated.

At this point I wonder whether that's based on any actual advances in their methodology or technology..or simply a marketing tool to keep people interested.

Old 09-14-2021, 10:27 AM

I believe I read it's coming on the 17th from something Crista Cowan posted that I saw shared in the ancestry Facebook group.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy