Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2022, 12:23 PM

1,201 posts, read 617,310 times

Advertisements

Both my paternal grandfather and maternal grandmother are on sample lines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2022, 02:06 PM

16,068 posts, read 10,726,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
I look at the descriptions of the enumeration districts, which so far have included streets or roads. It helps that I had some idea where the people I was looking for lived, and was not looking in somewhere like LA or NYC.
Yeah. I'm only one year old in the census and could remember some addresses and neighborhoods as growing up so plodding through the ED lists was slow going at first (for St. Louis) but got better as I got used to it. Then you follow the census taker up and down streets until you find the address.

I'm missing an aunt and my grandmother -- they will probably be together somewhere but are not in the index and I don't recall the address.

Old 04-03-2022, 03:22 PM

9,283 posts, read 14,890,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Is it possible that some people were actually not counted in the census (even if they were legal US residents/citizens) at the time?
Absolutely. Some did not want to be in the census.

One thing I've noticed about the 1950. The census takers write "not at home" which means that lots of people aren't recorded. In past censuses, they would ask the neighbors to give info, or supposedly return to the address when someone was there. It's odd.

Old 04-03-2022, 07:23 PM

5,124 posts, read 6,123,485 times
Okay so I found my grandfather and he is on the last line of the first page, it says household continued on next page but there is only one page…….any insight?

Continued on next sheet box is checked off. Scan says one of one.

Old 04-03-2022, 07:29 PM

1,201 posts, read 617,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
Okay so I found my grandfather and he is on the last line of the first page, it says household continued on next page but there is only one page…….any insight?

Continued on next sheet box is checked off. Scan says one of one.
Find the record for the enumeration district. All the pages should be together.

Old 04-03-2022, 07:51 PM

5,124 posts, read 6,123,485 times
ED is 4-53, where would I find the next page?

Old 04-03-2022, 07:59 PM

37,095 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post

One thing I've noticed about the 1950. The census takers write "not at home" which means that lots of people aren't recorded. In past censuses, they would ask the neighbors to give info, or supposedly return to the address when someone was there. It's odd.
They did return. The people they found will be on a different page from the not at home page.

Old 04-03-2022, 09:23 PM

15,398 posts, read 7,464,179 times
Quote:

One location I looked at had a number of "Not at Home" lines. They all showed up on page 71, on a return visit.

Old 04-04-2022, 02:49 AM

8,886 posts, read 4,573,123 times
I found my family (I was 4 at the time) and my grandparents (they lived across the street) and my first wife's family (she was 5). All in the same county in southern Ohio.

Next will be to find my 2nd wife's family in WV.

Not sure why I feel the need to do this.....

Old 04-04-2022, 04:50 AM

43,618 posts, read 44,346,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
I look at the descriptions of the enumeration districts, which so far have included streets or roads. It helps that I had some idea where the people I was looking for lived, and was not looking in somewhere like LA or NYC.
I am not sure how helpful that would be even if one looks at the descriptions because streets can be very long in big cities and if you don't know the street number you are still looking at multiple enumeration districts (like in NYC) which takes a long time and a lot of patience.

Quote:

I too noticed some "not at home" entries which I hadn't seen in prior censuses. I definitely understand people not wanting to be included in the census but neighbors can't really give accurate information especially in large cities (where people don't always know their neighbors). As for returning to an address for a second time, it doesn't always mean the census would find someone home at another time and perhaps people simply didn't answer door if they want to be included in the census.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy