Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2021, 03:11 PM

7,514 posts, read 13,608,655 times

Advertisements

Have you checked Ellis Island records ? Do you know approx immigration date ?

If not, try here. https://stevemorse.org/ellis2/elliswhite.html

At least 50 entries for a Manuel Cordeiro from the Azores from 1800s to 1952 !!!

Sometimes you can find correct person by seeing who traveled with them.

Good Luck........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2021, 06:30 PM

368 posts, read 213,436 times
My grandfather and great grandfather unofficially changed their surname in the 1940s. My grandfather was in his early 20s and born in the US, and his father and mother weren't citizens. They were Italians and there was talk of interning and deporting Italians (along with Japanese) as enemy aliens, so they changed both their first and last names to American sounding names to avoid detection (they had already done so with their first names, going by the English equivalent, just to fit in and be pronounced more easily), and unlike people of German heritage who had mostly been here for 50, 100, 200+ years, Italians were more likely to be assumed to be recent arrivals and to be scrutinized.

Many Italians did this, and I think some people don't even know about the Italian heritage behind their names (especially if it's on the maternal side and they never asked their mother or grandmother about it etc). I am distantly related to Rocky Marciano, who changed his surname from Marchegiano, and I have relatives on that side of the family who changed their name to Marsh a couple generations back, while others still go by Marchegiano.

They didn't file anything, they just 'assumed' the new name, which was similar to the old. Their birth and death certificates have different first and last names. Somehow they got social security, etc. without making any official filings (guess they just told employers to put new name on their checks/payroll tax forms but file under same #). My grandfather had Italian first Italian last on birth certificate, American first Italian last on marriage certificate, and American first American last on death certificate.

Everyone who came after them went by the new last name. I, my father, and others in the family have toyed with the idea of changing it back (or just re-recognizing our 'real' surname) but no one has yet done so.

Last edited by pclem; 10-24-2021 at 07:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy