Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2021, 11:09 AM

5,321 posts, read 3,204,475 times

Advertisements

The earlier thread in this forum (How do you feel about people changing their names?) got me thinking about something that has been really bouncing around in the back of my head.

In my scenario, we're talking a time period of 1900's - 1930's in Massachusetts. I'm sure this could apply to anywhere, any time though. In that time frame, in the United States, was there an actual process to change one's name or is it simply "my name is [insert name here]" and so it became?

Reason I ask is that my ancestors (Great Grandfather, Great Grandmother) emigrated from the Azores sometime around 1906/07 per their responses on the census. Both had extremely common Azorean names so tracing actual immigration records has proven very difficult. I have traced them back in the 20, 30, and 40 census, but I do not find them on the 1910 census. On the 3 census the current last name is spelled differently, and on (what I presume) are my G'father siblings' birth certificates the name is spelled yet other ways (I still cannot locate my Grandfather's). In total the surname is spelled about 9 different ways (but when read aloud sounds similar). Ironically, the current surname is nothing like the former surname.

I suspect that my Great Grandparents changed the name sometime between 1916 and 1920 since my Grandfather was born in 1916 and there is no record of his birth. But the question is - how was this accomplished? Was there no formal procedure?

I just hate that I'm at a dead end in my search for my ancestors and it all hinges on what name they used, and when.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2021, 11:11 AM

45,332 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Immigrants often changed their name, or had them changed, during processing at Ellis Island or elsewhere.

Without a central data base like we have today for various things, someone could move fifty or a hundred miles away and call themselves anything they wanted.

Old 10-05-2021, 11:26 AM

5,321 posts, read 3,204,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Immigrants often changed their name, or had them changed, during processing at Ellis Island or elsewhere.

Without a central data base like we have today for various things, someone could move fifty or a hundred miles away and call themselves anything they wanted.
Oddly, I did find a deed for the sale of land purchased in 1924 and the original deed is in my great grandfather's former name, but the 1920 census uses our current name. It's stuff like this that makes me just put it aside for a few months because I just get so frustrated.

Old 10-05-2021, 12:58 PM

4,991 posts, read 5,282,508 times
My people changed names 1900-1930 probably because they were in trouble with the law. It appears they just moved to a new state and started using a new name. No formal process involved. I assume they just changed documentation the same way although in some documents, they had to have other people vouch for them.

When did we really start requiring documentation? Was it for social security. One of my great aunts was born in 1929. I've been told, but have no documentation that to get her first driver's license, she just used someone's old DL and somehow changed it to her name. That's not far-fetched for this particular branch of the family. She was the youngest of nine children and had seven older ornery brothers who would have helped her out there.

Old 10-05-2021, 01:11 PM

2,479 posts, read 2,211,652 times
Default Legal Name vs Pick-up Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSox 15 View Post
The earlier thread in this forum (How do you feel about people changing their names?) got me thinking about something that has been really bouncing around in the back of my head.

In my scenario, we're talking a time period of 1900's - 1930's in Massachusetts. I'm sure this could apply to anywhere, any time though. In that time frame, in the United States, was there an actual process to change one's name or is it simply "my name is [insert name here]" and so it became?

Reason I ask is that my ancestors (Great Grandfather, Great Grandmother) emigrated from the Azores sometime around 1906/07 per their responses on the census. Both had extremely common Azorean names so tracing actual immigration records has proven very difficult. I have traced them back in the 20, 30, and 40 census, but I do not find them on the 1910 census. On the 3 census the current last name is spelled differently, and on (what I presume) are my G'father siblings' birth certificates the name is spelled yet other ways (I still cannot locate my Grandfather's). In total the surname is spelled about 9 different ways (but when read aloud sounds similar). Ironically, the current surname is nothing like the former surname.

I suspect that my Great Grandparents changed the name sometime between 1916 and 1920 since my Grandfather was born in 1916 and there is no record of his birth. But the question is - how was this accomplished? Was there no formal procedure?

I just hate that I'm at a dead end in my search for my ancestors and it all hinges on what name they used, and when.
Your legal name is what's on yr birth or wedding certificate. Requires a court order to change it. But if you wanted to be called Mickey Mouse, go right ahead. For various reasons, some ancestors had 10 or more names (mostly spelling differences). What burns my britches is the custom of calling married woman, Mrs. John Smith. Ugh!

Old 10-05-2021, 02:12 PM

9,285 posts, read 14,890,077 times
There was a process in that time period but many people did not bother to do an official change. Very easy to adopt any identity you wanted- there were no computers/databases and state to state communication was sketchy- only wanted criminals got searched for. The only problem might come if you were inheriting and had to prove identity- but wealthy types didn't unofficially change their names.

In your case OP, did you look for cemetery records and church records? Were they Roman Catholic? Look for one name you know in a cemetery and see who else is buried nearby- members of the same family.

Old 10-05-2021, 05:17 PM

10,208 posts, read 17,859,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Not this again.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smith...nts-180961544/
https://ancestralfindings.com/change...-ellis-island/
https://blog.myheritage.com/2017/11/...-name-changed/

Old 10-05-2021, 05:24 PM

10,208 posts, read 17,859,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSox 15 View Post

Yes, there was a legal process: https://blog.genealogybank.com/how-t...me-change.html - In Massachusetts in particular, a legal name change was required to be published in the paper, so look for newspapers that might have published it.

However, it was also possible for people to go by a nickname or variant name - it didn't change their legal name, but it wasn't illegal to go by something else. They would still have to use their legal name when applying for naturalization, for example. But on documentation like census records, which aren't taken for identification purposes, they may have used their assumed named. Censuses aren't good indications of one's real name or spelling.

Old 10-05-2021, 06:52 PM

8,268 posts, read 8,643,023 times
Both sides of my family changed their names. Nothing legal was done they just started using the new names.

Guardianship wasn't a big deal either. My grandfather's sister died. She had a 9 year old. After the funeral they took her home, about 100 miles away, enrolled her in school, and she lived with them about 10 years. Again, nothing legal was done.

Old 10-05-2021, 07:22 PM

10,888 posts, read 7,370,074 times
I remember California law changed in the 1970s. As I understood it, you could simply start using another name before then. The new law required court approval. Both federal and state laws may apply.

Mom's maiden name was Johnson, but her father's birth name was Malley or possibly O'Malley, changed when his mother remarried.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy